YouView has introduced Voice Control

VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭
So, YouView has introduced Voice Control for those with or want to hook up an Echo Dot.

Thoughts after its release?
I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Comments

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited 26 June 2019, 8:46PM
    Hopefully through time it will also came to BT Youview boxes.
    I have 3 Amazon Echos in the house and just love them.

Darren
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 422 ✭✭
    Very limited functionality though. Just a search list and then use the remote to select.
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 177
    Not for me but I can see why others would go for Alexa etc. A useful addition though for fans of the tech, although from the previous post it would seem it's extremely limited on Youview compared to other devices that utilise this functionality. As a BT subber it's probably not something that will be on the radar for the forseeable  ;) 
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robotman said:
    As a BT subber it's probably not something that will be on the radar for the forseeable  ;) 
    Oh ye of little faith!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭
    YouView.... HDR mode! (I wish). And for TalkTalk users - Youview... please play HD. Small lol.
    Stephen said:
    robotman said:
    As a BT subber it's probably not something that will be on the radar for the forseeable  ;) 
    Oh ye of little faith!
    Why do you think I added the wink? I was being cheeky and cryptic. I'm aware of what's coming  :) 
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Time out Posts: 336
    In that case what's this week's winning lottery numbers?
  • stereohavenstereohaven Member Posts: 60
    edited 28 June 2019, 8:40AM
    robotman said:
    ...I'm aware of what's coming  :) 
    Unless it is a significantly better 4K box (no more soft HD channels please), with HDR, Dolby Vision, HLG, proper accurate recording and the return of 'jump to time' then I ain't interested.  ;)

As for Alexa, I see the benefits for the less fortunate amongst us, but it did nothing for me.
    Adding wireless wouldn't go amiss either. 
    Goodbye said:
    Adding wireless wouldn't go amiss either. 
    Although I personally wouldn't choose wireless for it I know a fair few who would benefit from it.
  • WilfHWilfH Member Posts: 51
    YouView are unlikely to introduce a wireless interface as this would require a completely different delivery mechanism based on TCP and not IGMP for the additional channels as supplied by BT, TT and Plusnet. IGMP which does not function well in a wireless environment for the same reasons that PLAs are not recommended therefore and isn’t suitable for a service that they expect you to pay for. 

Wilf
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    robotman said:
    Stephen said:
    robotman said:
    Oh ye of little faith!
    Why do you think I added the wink? I was being cheeky and cryptic. I'm aware of what's coming  :) 
    Yes but is it coming on Monday ;)
  • stereohavenstereohaven Member Posts: 60
    You sound far more knowledgeable than me on the technical requirements, but I can say I have had a DTR-T2100 running off the wired port of a BT Complete Wi-Fi disc without any issues for months now, and I know I'm not alone.  :)
    scott said:
    robotman said:
    Stephen said:
    robotman said:
    Oh ye of little faith!
    Yes but is it coming on Monday ;)
     :D 
    You sound far more knowledgeable than me on the technical requirements, but I can say I have had a DTR-T2100 running off the wired port of a BT Complete Wi-Fi disc without any issues for months now, and I know I'm not alone.  :)
    This can work - I used my BT T2100 on PLAs for quite a while but got fed up with sporadic loss of picture and break-up. IGMP is a ‘fire and forget’ type protocol and does not use handshaking or resend mechanisms to guarantee delivery and that’s why YouView providers will not support Wi-fi or PLAs and will always suggest you use a wired connection. The ‘mesh’ solutions such as the BT Complete wi-fi or for example the Mesh solution used by SkyQ go some way to minimise the risks of using Wi-fi but do not alleviate them completely. 

Wilf
    Wired connection is great if your box and router are neighbour's but there's a mass market that shun youview boxes because of the logistics of connectivity. 
    Goodbye said:
    Wired connection is great if your box and router are neighbour's but there's a mass market that shun youview boxes because of the logistics of connectivity. 
    Which takes us straight back to my original point though I probably stated in an oblique way. YouView is effectively Freeview Play with the ability to deliver extra channels using IP delivery over broadband. This has two key dependencies - available bandwidth and a robust connection. 
    There are effectively three forms of Pay TV in the UK currently Sky currently primarily Satellite delivery (DVB S2), Virgin Media Cable (DVB C) and the YouView providers which are in essence DVB-T2 + IP delivery over broadband. Sky and Virgin have the benefit of having virtually unlimited bandwidth to deliver the extra pay tv services.  YouView on the other hand does this using the existing shared broadband infrastructure which has limited capability for delivering broadcast TV services without compromising all the other services the infrastructure handles. 
    It’s a fair point that many will shun YV because of the need for the wired connection but this can be done relatively easily at the point of installation though admittedly at a cost but the end result is a TV service which is significantly less expensive than the Sky or VM alternatives. This is especially the case if you live in an area where Virgin Media don’t have infrastructure and have no plans to install one. The only alternative is Sky for pay TV services. 

Wilf
    edited 28 June 2019, 4:19PM
    Goodbye said:
    ...there's a mass market that shun youview boxes because of the logistics of connectivity. 
    Do you have a link to this info please?
    edited 28 June 2019, 7:44PM
    Goodbye said:
    There's a mass market that shun youview boxes because of the logistics of connectivity. 
    What a load of ****. Due to the delivery system used, Multicast IGMP, YouView will never be WiFi, as multicast packets weren't design for that method of delivery. They were designed for hard wire, a method which was developed in the 1960's. It is by far the most effective and reliable delivery system available and by far, more reliable than WiFi. Even with a mesh. 

Over your head now, aren't you?
    edited 28 June 2019, 8:31PM
    Of course you cant beat a wired connection, my point was and still is that for some it isn't feasible. 
    Wilf, are not Netflix and Prime, pay TV providers?
    edited 28 June 2019, 8:57PM
    Enjoy what could well be the hottest weekend this year.🏜
    And perhaps an even hotter Monday. 
  • dreamtimedreamtime Member Posts: 205
    Visionman said:
    Goodbye said:
    There's a mass market that shun youview boxes because of the logistics of connectivity. 
    What a load of ****. Due to the delivery system used, Multicast IGMP, YouView will never be WiFi, as multicast packets weren't design for that method of delivery. They were designed for hard wire, a method which was developed in the 1960's. It is by far the most effective and reliable delivery system available and by far, more reliable than WiFi. Even with a mesh. 

That's not correct. They work OK with one of these wifi extenders. 
    TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Built-in Access Point Mode, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_0gOfDbBM3XHFJ
    dreamtime said:
    Visionman said:
    Goodbye said:

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Built-in Access Point Mode, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_0gOfDbBM3XHFJ

Sigh... I use PLAs myself and always have, unless in trial. But thanks.
    Visionman said:
    dreamtime said:
    Visionman said:
    Goodbye said:

Sigh... I use PLAs myself and always have, unless in trial. But thanks.
    O dear @visionman now you are in over your head. It's not a PLA, it's a WIFI extender. lol
    Not for me, nor for they, because I know how they work.
    Visionman said:
    Not for me, nor for they, because I know how they work.
    Actually @visionman from your comments it's obvious that you dont understand that they use WIFI and not power line. Ask @Roy when he gets back, I am sure that he can set you correct. In the meantime you only need to know that its LAN from YouView box to WIFI booster and WIFI back to router. Enjoy your weekend working it out.
    edited 28 June 2019, 11:01PM
    Cheers mate, I will enjoy it. Scorcher tomorrow!