now tv on bt

Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Posts: 59Member
it look like the fall now tv will now be on youuview bt not till the end off 2019 
https://www.invernessreds.co.uk/delay-to-bt-sky-partnership-deal/

Comments

• dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 204Member
    Not surprising is it, we all know how long it takes for YouView to make changes.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 269Member
    I think the real problem is Sky's new owners com cast, this deal was announced months before their record breaking takeover. No one has ever actually sald what the hold up is, it surely can't be the logistics. 
  • stereohavenstereohaven Posts: 58Member
    dreamtime said:
    Not surprising is it, we all know how long it takes for YouView to make changes.
    Yes they do take a while, but I don’t believe this delay has anything to do with YouView. 
    Goodbye said:
    I think the real problem is Sky's new owners com cast, this deal was announced months before their record breaking takeover. No one has ever actually sald what the hold up is, it surely can't be the logistics. 
    Maybe.

Hasn’t stopped Sky completing an enhanced agreement with Virgin Media recently though, nor launching a new sports pack in Ireland that includes BT Sport on the 1st August.
    edited 28 July 2019, 7:57PM
    I meant Now TV,
     at the moment the drawbridge is rising at the streaming companies as content is removed. Netflix and Prime have lost Disney,Marvel etc as new players enter the market. Why would Sky share its precious HBO content on now TV with a rival. BT with its European football and limited premier league isn't a fair exchange. 
    Sky will lose its Disney content as well when Disney+ launches in the U.K. and they let current content deals expire.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,998Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2019, 10:20AM
    Sky will lose its Disney content as well when Disney+ launches in the U.K. and they let current content deals expire.

And there are strong suggestions HBO may well go its own streaming route when their deal expires (and of course all FOX content is now owned by Disney also). 

@Goodbye if you really think HBO content is a bigger draw than Champions league/Premier league football you might need to look again (especially now GoT has finished) and this isn't a one or the other deal, NowTV can be got by a million different methods and BT Sports is already available on SKY so this is just a way of making things simpler not a case of letting people get access. There are technical difficulties with the way BT are doing NowTV and have now stated they hope to have everything in place by the end of the year.

see this post -

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2282674/bt-sport-on-sky-tv/p14

There are delays from both sides in trying to get this new co-operation into use for the UK and they have both agreed that they cannot launch until they are both ready.

Sky's issues are a small technical issue that they are in the process of fixing and then getting the marketing ready, BT seem to have taken too much on for their technology team at the moment with delays to getting UHD onto Apple TV,Smart TVs and Playstation and HDR on BTTV is also slightly delayed , along with all efforts being put into getting all platforms ready for HD HDR for charity shield football so at present the Now TV side for BT is a lower priority

edited 29 July 2019, 11:21AM
    Scott 
     UEFA have ongoing concern's over the tiny viewing figures BT generate for it's European football.
    Also the last FA cup final on BT was eclipsed by Mr Tumble (who I personally think is more entertaining then shi sorry City).
    That was the final (no pun intended) straw for the FA and promptly awarded the FA cup to terrestrial tv as they rightly thought ( as UEFA do) paywall involvement was killing the cup.
    I wouldn't over estimate the allure of BT sports
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure the last FA Cup Final was live on BBC One also? Which may have had a teensy effect on BT's figures. Anyway, we digress, as seems usual now ....
    edited 29 July 2019, 1:18PM
    Goodbye said:
    Scott 
     UEFA have ongoing concern's over the tiny viewing figures BT generate for it's European football.
    Also the last FA cup final on BT was eclipsed by Mr Tumble (who I personally think is more entertaining then shi sorry City).
    That was the final (no pun intended) straw for the FA and promptly awarded the FA cup to terrestrial tv as they rightly thought ( as UEFA do) paywall involvement was killing the cup.

If you look hard enough you will see all this rubbish about uefa not being happy with viewing figures was said just before BT were awarded the champions league exclusively AGAIN for another 3 years in 2017 with even less stipulations on them to show outside of the paywall. Check the viewing figures for the champions league final this year and compare them to mr tumble.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-tottenham-champions-league-final-bt-sport-viewing-figures-ucl-a8948791.html

Liverpool's Champions League final win over Tottenham last Saturday brought BT Sport the largest audience in its six-year history, the broadcaster has announced.

The total audience, across its digital and TV platforms, was 11.3 million viewers, a third higher than the audience for last year's final between Liverpool and Real Madrid when 8.5 million fans watched.

BT Sport broadcast the final to its TV subscribers as normal but it also made the game available for free via its mobile app, website and YouTube channel, with 6.5 million watching on television and 4.8 million across the digital platforms.

This means BT Sport had more viewers during the game, which kicked off at 8pm, than BBC One and ITV1 combined.
    And to back up my other statement -

Despite concerns by sponsors over reduced exposure with the loss of free to air live coverage, Uefa has now gone even further, handing BT the highlights rights too. For Uefa, this will help appease the clubs and national football associations, who will get yet more money, but has clearly dismayed many fans.

ANYWAY to try and get back on topic, don't believe a word about all this contract issue with the new owners, do you really think BT would spend over a year and x amount of money upgrading its network delivery capacity if it didn't have a cast iron contract for this deal (in the same way Virgin group have had to stick with its F1 contract with SKY even though as the new owners they would like to move it). I assume the problem is all in the technical delivery (although now they know they have missed the start of the football season ,as stated above, they seem to be trying to get what they can deliver for the start of that and have consigned the delivery of NowTV to end of year to give everyone some time).
    Why do you think SKY would extend its contract with Virgin (who have nothing to offer in return) and then block out BT. In the past it was all to do with BT competing with them for sports rights and therefore trying to sink BT, that has now given way to amicable arrangements to hold down the sports rights by sharing content before they both got into serious debt trying to outdo each other for sports rights.
    Hmmm..10 million of the 11 million audience were getting it for free. 
    We might need to work on the glowing endorsement. 

edited 29 July 2019, 1:35PM
    Goodbye said:
    We might need to work on the glowing endorsement. 

Where is that said please (point me to a statement like I have done)....Or are you just making it up like everything else you say...

remember BT Sports is on SKY TV and Virgin and paid for, is on its app and paid for (even if it was made free). The last figure I saw was BT Sports has around 6.5 Million subscribers so all those are paying for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/09/champions-league-fever-fuels-spike-in-bt-sport-subscriptions-ceo-philip-jansen

Champions League fever fuels surge in BT Sport sign-ups – CEO

And again everyone watching the FA Cup on BBC is getting it for free where you are chirping soo much about viewing figures so that would hardly matter to UEFA would it even if BT gave it free to everyone.

Re making it up like everything else you say....
    Are you seriously suggesting that City are more entertaining then The Tumble ⚠️
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    @Goodbye
    Listen to whats being said to you. Both @scott & @sterohaven are bang on the money.
  • robotmanrobotman Posts: 119Member
    scott said:
    Goodbye said:
    Scott 
    In the past it was all to do with BT competing with them for sports rights and therefore trying to sink BT, that has now given way to amicable arrangements to hold down the sports rights by sharing content before they both got into serious debt trying to outdo each other for sports rights.
    That is how I first saw this deal and I still stick by that assumption. There's no way the deal isn't going to go ahead, it just means waiting a while longer to get everything right. Imagine the complaints if a half baked product was put out there, we would rightly be shouting from the roof tops about the ba*ls up if that were to happen. It clearly makes more sense to have a working product out there even if it does take longer to get sorted. Excellent post @scott
    Living in a land where time is a percentage, not minutes or hours...........
    The facts remain the same that since this deal was announced Sky has changed ownership and there is a seismic shift on the horizon for streaming networks. 
    If they were working on it to avoid a half baked product why the deafening silence. And honestly would it really take two years to set up and implement?
    Was it really a ploy to get a better prem deal or make Sky more appealing pre takeover?
    edited 29 July 2019, 7:47PM
    They are not "facts" they are your own uninformed speculation, with which I am seriously tiring of you constantly polluting these forums.
    Goodbye said:
    May I issue my annual reminder that there is no such thing as “free TV” in the UK. 

Remember, we are the only country in the world (that I know of), that could put you in prison if you decided to watch the “free” football on the BBC without a TV licence.
    A lovely old urban myth, you cannot go to prison for not paying your TV licence fee.
    edited 29 July 2019, 8:15PM
    Did you ignore the word "could" in my post on purpose?  :(

If you don't pay your TV licence you will be taken to court and fined. What could happen if you don't pay the fine? You can be sent to prison.

At the last count, 70ish people have received a custodial sentence for not paying the fine they got for not having a TV licence. 

The only way not to go to prison is pay the fine and get a TV licence.
     Yep, you "could" be imprisoned for non-payment of a Court fine. For TV licence evasion amongst myriad other misdemeanours. Which is stretching your point beyond incredulity. Especially if you cannot unequivocally demonstrate that similar penalties do not exist elsewhere in the world, where taxation regimes for TV are for more prevalent than you might imagine. So let's focus on the word "only" shall we?  Prove it!
    I think I will just disagree and leave it at that. 
    edited 29 July 2019, 8:33PM
    Disagree with what? The fact that you can't prove your point? Lazy and inaccurate criticism of the BBC and the Licence fee.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2019, 11:14PM
    Ermmm... sorry for interjecting....
    Its no longer against criminal law to not pay a TV licence if you watch TV as the law changed when iPlayer came under its remit. It is now 'only' a civil offence. 
    redchiz said:
    They are not "facts" they are your own uninformed speculation, with which I am seriously tiring of you constantly polluting these forums.
    Sorry to disagree but it is a FACT that Mr Tumble is more entertaining then Man City.
    redchiz said:
    Disagree with what? The fact that you can't prove your point? Lazy and inaccurate criticism of the BBC and the Licence fee.
    I only mentioned the BBC because it related to earlier posts in the thread. Please stop being lazy yourself. 

As of today, if you don’t have a TV licence you could end up in prison, my point still stands and is accurate. If you don’t agree, that’s fine.
    edited 30 July 2019, 2:50PM
    From Sky TV to going to prison, that's quite a detour off topic even for this forum. 
    "...we are the only country in the world..."
    redchiz said:
    Where you can go to prison for not having a TV licence  and while there watch TV all day for free 
    redchiz said:
    stereohaven said:
    ....we are the only country in the world (that I know of)...
      FFS.
    Well don't post **** (that you know of) and not expect a comeback.