Box won’t come on from standby without switching off first

thudnblundrthudnblundr Posts: 8Member
In the past few days, my BT youview box won’t come on using the remote or by pressing the button on the front. If I turn it off and on again using the switch on the back, it will start. I’m not sure what to try. 

I’ve looked for similar symptoms but wasn’t able to find posts with the same issue on the first couple of search pages.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance 

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,509Member ✭✭✭
    Hi thudnblundr. How old is it and are you still in contract?
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 325Member
    Hi
    Assuming your contract free this might solve your dilemma. 
    Before you go to bed switch off and unplug your box, leave it that way overnight then in the morning fire it up again. Fingers crossed this fixes it.
  • thudnblundrthudnblundr Posts: 8Member
    Thanks

I’ve had it several years and am not in contract. I’ll try turning it off overnight and seeing what happens. 
    edited 4 August 2019, 4:58PM
    I switched it on again this morning, and was able to turn it on as expected from the remote. A couple of timers from last night failed to record. I'm not sure if it's related as it recorded fine from standby on Saturday: I first noticed this issue in the middle of last week. I'll wait and see what happens during the day and if I can turn it on tomorrow

BTW it's a DTRT1000 running component software version 3.3.160 (ss7a6c) and manufacturer software version 29.106.0
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,289Administrator admin
    Hi @thudnblundr
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    If you had the box turned off at the plug the recordings would fail as the box was not able to switch itself on. If the box was in standby then it should have turned itself on however it is possible that was there an external issue which caused the recording to fail. 
    Have you had any issues turning it back on since the weekend?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks. I waited to turn it off until after the timers should have finished. I do occasionally have issues where the HD channels lose signal. It seems to be based on weather conditions even though we're line of sight to Emley Moor, so I can't blame their failure on this issue for certain.

I extended the power-off timer to 12 hours yesterday so that the machine stayed on, and the timers worked fine last night.

However it wouldn't wake up from standby again today, and I had to turn it off and on again, whereupon I could press the front button to get it to start. Once it had finished booting, I watched an iPlayer show, but it hung after 45 minutes. The screen went blank and the box is now failing to respond to the remote. This is a new issue :( I've left it to see if it comes back to life, but no luck so far
    Hi @thudnblundr

Thanks for letting us know. Regarding losing channels, this is likely due to varying signal strength and weather related issues rather than an issue with the box. 
    If you've not tried so already, and if you're able to get to this screen, I'd suggest trying a Maintenance Mode option 2 on your box as this usually clears it of any strange behaviour it seems to be exhibiting. You can find the instructions for how to do this here. Let us know how you get on :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    The box didn't come back, so I cycled it using the rear switch so that we could watch TV last night: it seemed to behave normally. I didn't try to see if I was able to turn it on this morning, I'm afraid.

I'll try the reset in maintenance mode once I'm home.

Thanks for the help
    The box came on from standby last night without a problem. I've not tried the Maintenance Mode reset as I thought I'd see if it behave again today. Or do you think I should just do it anyway?
    Hi @thudnblundr
    If it has the same issues again or if it starts exhibiting some other odd behaviour, we'd recommend doing the maintenance mode reset on it. If it's behaving for the moment, you can hold off from doing the reset for now. 
    Let us know how you get on :) 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Will do. It's worked as expected twice in a row now, so fingers crossed it's got over whatever was ailing it.

Thanks for your help!
  • Sorry I've not updated this for a while, but I wasn't sure if it was fixed. I did the Maintenance Mode Option 2 reset, and I set the various options so that the box would stay on longer before shutting down. I also try to turn the box on in the morning if I remember, leaving it on ITV4+1 so that the disk isn't timeshifting. It's also set to turn off fully from 11pm to 8am. Doing this, I had one "turning on" problem in the 4 weeks since I last posted, though I have had a few failed recordings. But I still wasn't sure if the problem was solved or if I was working round it.

Then I had a series of problems yesterday and I know it's not fixed! The box didn't respond to the remote or the front panel after it had been on for a few hours, which was a first. So I turned it off at the rear switch for 10 seconds, turned it on and waited for the red roundel to appear then turned it back on from the panel. It started up as usual and I left it to go through the cold start routine. When I came back, it had a blank screen (showing ITV4+1 on the display) but it was unresponsive. So I turned it off by unplugging it and left it for a minute or so before plugging it in. This time I watched it start up from cold, and all appeared as normal. However when I came back sometime later, the screen was displaying white noise (with a noticeable purple tinge) and was again unresponsive. So I unplugged it again and plugged it back in this morning. It started fine and seemed to be back to normal. I'll have to see what it's like tonight.

Are there any analytics that I can perform on the system? Can I reflash the firmware? Can I move my disk to a new box, if I find a secondhand one cheap enough? Or can I backup the recordings onto another disk? The disk is 85% full, and I don't want to lose the recordings!
  • John LJohn L Posts: 260Member
    Sorry I've not updated this for a while, but I wasn't sure if it was fixed. I did the Maintenance Mode Option 2 reset, and I set the various options so that the box would stay on longer before shutting down. I also try to turn the box on in the morning if I remember, leaving it on ITV4+1 so that the disk isn't timeshifting. It's also set to turn off fully from 11pm to 8am. Doing this, I had one "turning on" problem in the 4 weeks since I last posted, though I have had a few failed recordings. But I still wasn't sure if the problem was solved or if I was working round it.

Then I had a series of problems yesterday and I know it's not fixed! The box didn't respond to the remote or the front panel after it had been on for a few hours, which was a first. So I turned it off at the rear switch for 10 seconds, turned it on and waited for the red roundel to appear then turned it back on from the panel. It started up as usual and I left it to go through the cold start routine. When I came back, it had a blank screen (showing ITV4+1 on the display) but it was unresponsive. So I turned it off by unplugging it and left it for a minute or so before plugging it in. This time I watched it start up from cold, and all appeared as normal. However when I came back sometime later, the screen was displaying white noise (with a noticeable purple tinge) and was again unresponsive. So I unplugged it again and plugged it back in this morning. It started fine and seemed to be back to normal. I'll have to see what it's like tonight.

Are there any analytics that I can perform on the system? Can I reflash the firmware? Can I move my disk to a new box, if I find a secondhand one cheap enough? Or can I backup the recordings onto another disk? The disk is 85% full, and I don't want to lose the recordings!
    Hi Thudnblundr,
    If I was in the same situation, I would not go any further with the DTRT1000 Pvr you have. You will be wasting your time in the long run. This is a very old machine now & since Youview released the New"improved" software interface, all the DTRT1000's seem to be very underpowered to cope. I think as as a loyal unfair, it is very unfair, I agree,  but I know we owned one a long time back & it jammed. I tried to fix it & gave up, purchased a BT DTR2100 instead. A lot faster processor + works better with latest software releases. 

With regards, your Hard drive, you can't simply take out & put into another Youview pvr. The hardware is all linked with the drive. The youview box would write over the recordings if reset/reformated. I would watch your recordings, if you are able to get down to 0%, then by all means either reformat drive/replace etc. There is a way of repairing drives, but it is very long winded. I was able to fix a Talk Talk 372T model once, not sure about the Humax DTRT1000 model. I assume it either reformats automatically or if corrupted can be externally repaired if teh drive is able to be fixed.

As for a 2nd hand Youview, why not purchase one from say CEX (24 mth warranty) or on EBay from a reputable seller (look at their reviews 1st + if they offer a warranty)? Trust I may have helped you/give you some ideas. Let us know how you get on. John L
  • John LJohn L Posts: 260Member
    Just  to correct confusion in my first paragraph, my tablet's typing is slower than my tablet actually typed ... "Unfair as a youview user/also customer". We used to be able to edit posts shortly after posting on Youview community forum. John L