Why I think YouView should be good, but is not

For such a polished looking product which enough companies support, I think there are some game changing issues with the platform for the uninitiated:

1/ New layout of the guide menu which obscures the previous and last whats on.
2/ Your TV signal is weak or lost (YVM302) but the pic and audio works fine! No way to turn this off (really?!?!) Every 30 secs on the low rate channels that Sandy Heath reduce power to in the afternoon/evenings.. :)
3/ Bad contrast options for the guide
4/ YV multi control which does not have a correct list of suppliers (this is a remote that should replace your tv remote at the end of the day.  Also only supports IR but not RF (not an issue for me yet...)
5/ Allowing companies like TalkTalk to recycle very old products which the remote no longer works with tv's purchased in the last 5 years and are not capable of working smoothly...  for an 18 month contract
6/ Very poor receivers.  Have tested them against Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Sharp and many other manufacturers receivers and they fail 9 times out of 10 compared to 1 or 2 times out of 10 with others.  Presume they are just seriously poor.

What are your thoughts?
I use youview on a daily basis, but am thinking of going away from it to a freeview+ as I so far have not seen the same issues (but may just do...).

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 567 ✭✭
    I agree with a lot of your points ConcernedYVCust. Welcome to the Youview forum. GReat place for ideas, solutions & trying to make your points known.
    Have you tried/compared the Fast Forward/Rewind function? Yes, it works, but very annoyingly with the dark shaded banner at the bottom of the screen STILL! I use Freeview & also (gladly) Freesat that work well without the dark shaded banner at the bottom. You try winding fast through recordings to either find something that you want to go back on, or simply in my case want to quickly watch a few bits from say" ITV This Morning", I don't always watch the whole show/don't have time, it's frustrating.
    I personally, think this has to be the worse part of the new Youview software. Youview will be brilliant platform once the NextGen development team take note (it has been  mentioned to them before)  & fix/provide a solution. Other Pvr platforms can do it in some way. I think they are trying to cram too much into the bottom half of the screen for the extra features, hence not interested at the moment. All you really need to do, is either add a menu filter to lower the shading, turn it off (yes please!) or revamp the bottom half of the screen. It's rather overlooked. I might even start a post again headed up with this point. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings.