Recording Sky Sports Series Link is Garbage....Total Garbage.....

Craig2Craig2 Posts: 7Member
Just sat down to catch up on the F1 I thought I had recorded today. Discovered that the absolutely garbage series link programming has recorded an afternoon of cricket due to the cricket (presumably) over running on the "Sky Sports Main Event" channel.

Why does the series link for the F1 need to move onto the main event channel and risk recording the wrong sport? Just keep it recording "Sky Sports F1". This isn't rocket science .........

Complete waste of time.

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,925Member ✭✭✭
    There have been issues which look similar to this before. Just to clarify, was your series recording set on the Sky F1 channel and then you ended up with cricket off Sky Main Event? Which sounds very odd indeed.
  • Craig2Craig2 Posts: 7Member
    edited 9 September 2019, 9:21AM
    redchiz said:
    There have been issues which look similar to this before. Just to clarify, was your series recording set on the Sky F1 channel and then you ended up with cricket off Sky Main Event? Which sounds very odd indeed.
    Yes, the series link is for Sky F1. The actual F1 races frequently get shown on both the F1 channel and the Main Event channel simultaneously. The Youview series link seems to randomly choose which channel to record from. As the F1 race has a build up programme, the race itself and a post review programme (all separate programs on the guide), the Youview box may record the build up on the F1 channel, then the race on the Main Event channel, then the post race review on the F1 channel (3 separate programs).

What has happened yesterday is that the cricket has presumably ran over time. Youview is not clever enough to adapt for this and thinks the race has started on Main Event and the F1 channel (as originally scheduled). It has decided to record the race on Main Event meaning I have 2 hours of cricket.....

The safe bet would be for the Youview box to just record the F1 channel it has been series linked to record.  

Just to vent a separate frustration.....I have also found on occasion that if part of a race or qualifying session gets delayed due to a crash or incident, the program will extend.....but the recording will stop to suit the original schedule meaning I miss the end. That has happened several times over the years and left me swearing at the Youview box. 
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,242Administrator admin
    edited 9 September 2019, 10:40AM
    Hi @Craig2
    Sorry to hear about this. Can you please let us know your YouView box model, the software its running on and which ISP you are on? You can find this by pressing Help and then Info on your remote control.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Craig2Craig2 Posts: 7Member
    edited 9 September 2019, 8:13PM
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Craig2
    Sorry to hear about this. Can you please let us know your YouView box model, the software its running on and which ISP you are on? You can find this by pressing Help and then Info on your remote control.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah, 
    Its a DTRT4000 running 3.6.114(c3f6fa) / 32.32.0 My ISP and TV provider is Talktalk.

The series link jumping across Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports Main Event occurred on previous DTRT2100 and Huawai DN372t over the years. This is the first time an overrun has ruined the recording because of a change in the Main Event channel. It seems like a badly implemented way to series link. 

Just in case I am not explaining the issue well, I have checked the guide from yesterday and taken a pic. It shows what the box thinks it has recorded without realising it actually recorded cricket. There was no recording from the F1 channel despite it showing there was.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,242Administrator admin
    Hi @Craig2 ,

We've been in touch with TalkTalk who have confirmed that this issue occurred due to the late change in schedule from the Live Formula 1 over to The Ashes Live and due to the lateness of the changes, the guide did not update. They have assured us that improvements to last minute scheduling changes are being made to reduce the risk of this happening again in the future. 

The way series IDs are implemented for certain types of content are quite complex so at present TalkTalk are not looking to change the way this is implemented as it would affect other the usability quite considerably for some users. For example, certain types of series links will scan for the same ID across multiple channels so that in the event of there being an issue with one channel, the recording will still be made on a different channel. 

Circumstances such as last minute changes like on Sunday are quite a rare occurrence so we hope that with the improvements TalkTalk are making to these scheduling changes, this won't happen again. We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • robotmanrobotman Posts: 129Member
    Basically Talk Talk are unable to help. When it comes to the Main Event channel BT customers have also complained quite often about changes not being reflected in the epg leading to the 'wrong' events being recorded. Surely Sky play some part in all of this? I always believed the programme provider was responsible for updating their own channels' schedules. I know in the past it has been Sky apologising to BT customers for not changing the epg in time.
    Living in a land where time is a percentage, not minutes or hours...........