Britbox on YouView before end of year

scottscott Posts: 2,007Member ✭✭✭

I suppose it should have been inevitable but nice it have it confirmed.

https://advanced-television.com/2019/09/27/britbox-confirms-distribution-partners/

YouView set-top boxes will also be hosting the BritBox app by the end of 2019, making the new streaming service accessible to millions of additional households across the nation.

“We are excited to be a launch partner for BritBox in the UK,” declared Susie Buckridge, CEO, YouView. “At a time when UK produced television is going from strength to strength, BritBox brings a fantastic array of UK television, to compliment the SVoD services already available via YouView, which our users will love.”

Comments

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 336Time out
    I for one will not be subscribing, it really does not bring anything new to the table

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    Its going to be on everything. So many will.
    edited 28 September 2019, 12:51AM
    Like I player and ITV hub are everywhere?

Disney , apple (and possibly HBO) are also launching around the same time with massive budgets for new original content.

ITV (90% owners of Britbox) will really have to up their game.

Also it's amazing that from inception to arriving on youview, Britbox took less then a year to set up while the alleged full now TV deal is nowhere to be seen or even mentioned after 2 years. 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 291Member ✭✭
    I don't think I will be subscribing to Britbox. 
    I more looking at when Disney + will come to the UK.
    The now I'm happy just having Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video and BT TV.

Darren
    edited 30 September 2019, 8:16AM
    Through my youview boxes I get

Netflix

Prime 

Now TV movies 

Plus I have a sky sports season ticket for the now stick
    (bargain at £199 for the whole season)

Really cant envisage Britbox tempting me to rush out and sign up.
  • PeterNSPeterNS Posts: 1Member
    edited 11 November 2019, 1:27PM
    BritBox appeals as it keeps all the British stuff together, whereas it is hard to find in Netflix's swathes of American output. Netflix risks some challenging alternative content occasionally, so I support it by subscribing, but I cannot support Amazon Prime for ethical reasons. So I hope BritBox does well and brings in a bit of extra revenue for new programmes, so that the British perspective on the world continues to thrive.
    Its been estimated through various surveys that 25% of streaming users are going to subscribe to Disney+ (thats a lot), 10% for Britbox (very decent) and 3% - 5% for Apple TV (doable) .
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @PeterNS welcome aboard.   :)

"Ethical reasons" feel free to expand.

Personally, the only compelling subscription services for me are the ones that give heavy discounts. I doubt Britbox will be one of them. But for those with bottomless pockets the choices are all yours.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:

Personally, the only compelling subscription services for me are the ones that give heavy discounts. I doubt Britbox will be one of them. But for those with bottomless pockets the choices are all yours.
    Why not think of it as actually costing £12.99 a month, but giving a heavy discount on that?  :p
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    Only Roy logic could come up with that!   :D
    I didn't think £5.99 a mth was expensive. But they don't have a full catalogue yet so I won't be diving in anytime soon. 
    Hey, we all make our choices, there is so much telly out there don't you think? I tend to pay for new/exclusive stuff that interests me. So NOW TV deals tend to be very tempting. But BBC/ITV repeats? YMMV