Records only a few seconds of a programme

WhatNameIsAvailableWhatNameIsAvailable Posts: 7Member
edited 5 October 2019, 3:28PM in Support
Sometimes my YouView box only records a few seconds of a programme, then says the playback is finished. There is plenty of space on the drive. I can't trust it now, which not good for F1 and the Rugby World Cup. Any advice much appreciated. 

Comments

• John LJohn L Posts: 318Member

Hi whatnameIsavaliable, welcome to the forum.

Have you thought about resetting your Youview box by exploring the maintenance mode? Just go along carefully & you should be able to fix problem.  Try Option 2 first, that keeps recording & does a Factory reset. The only other problem if this doesn't correct problem is Hard drive is corrupted & either needs formating or is faulty if an old hard drive. Worth trying all options (without delete recordings) in maintenance mode first.

All clearly explained in the link: 

EXTERNAL (i.e. you need to use external menu procedure) Maintenance mode:
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

By the time you have done all this hopefully your box will be recording. BEFORE starting, don't forget to make a note of your schedules. They are stored in the cloud & should come back automatically, but worth noting in case they don't. PLEASE let the forum know how you get on. If you have more problems, contact Sarah/Louise who work at Youview Monday morning. John L

• Thank you. I have done the update using option 2.
    I'll test it and let you know.
    Thank you. I have done the update using option 2.
    I'll test it and let you know.
    Gosh that was week's ago. Glad you have solved your problem (hopefully fingers crossed) John L
  • Actually, it didn't. Saturday night it recorded 3 seconds of F1 on Channel 4.
    What can I do now?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    Thats not normal, and neither a problem anyone else has reported. Are you recording anything else at the same time and if so, what?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Thats not normal, and neither a problem anyone else has reported. Are you recording anything else at the same time and if so, what?
    Don’t I recall an old bug where recordings only lasted a few seconds? Quite intractable, IIRC, and took a while to find and fix.

@WhatNameIsAvailable, is the software on your box up to date, or are you trying to freeze it on an old release for some reason?
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,357Administrator admin
    Hi @WhatNameIsAvailable
    It'd be helpful for us to know your YouView box model and the software version it's running on. You can find this in your Settings under Software Information and Box Information. Does this issue occur across all channels or just specific ones? Any case examples you can provide with the channel and programme would help us look into this further. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Thank you for your time. Here are the details:
    HardWare Version : DN370T.02.03.P
    S/N F8R8WF1292124197
    Example : Channel 4. Sun 3-Nov. F1 United States GP Highlights, shows as 'partially recorded 3 Secs'
    I wasn't recording anything else at the time, nor watching it.

The software is up to date : 
    Component Software : 3.3.156(d1228a)
    Platform Configuration : 4129 

I'll setup some tests on other channels and let you know.
  • So far, other channels are all fine.
    I'll now experiment with C4+1, if that works, then it will do.
    Hi @WhatNameIsAvailable
    If you still have the recordings on your box, can you please press info on the recording tile and tell us the recorded duration from the right of the action panel?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Hi, the recording duration always seems to be 3 seconds.
    Also, it's not just channel 4 (and it's not always channel 4 - sometimes it does record).
    edited 27 November 2019, 2:51PM
    Hi @WhatNameIsAvailable
    Thanks for letting us know. Just to clarify, does it show up as 3 seconds long on the playback bar and in the info section on the recording itself? If you have any screenshots of the Action Panel when you press the info button that'd also be useful. 

If you're able to answer the following questions that'd be helpful also: 
    • Is this seen with scheduled recordings or when recording live TV?
    • Did the recording start late?
    • Did the recording finish early?
    • How much was missing overall?
    • What is the signal/strength on the channels where this is occurring?
    • What state was the box in when the recording should have happened? (On/Off and in standby)
    • Did the start of the recording correspond to when the viewer turned their box on to watch TV?
    • Or did the recording happen when you weren't around?

We would like to look into the data on your box if this is ok with you. To locate your box, can you please attempt 5 software updates in a row. This can be found by going to your Settings and inside Software Information. Once you've done this, please let us know the time you tried these resets so we can have a look for your box :) 
    Thanks,
    Sarah

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    Whilst not wishing to divert attention away from the diagnostics here, it is worth noting that this is quite an old model of box now and does not support all the latest features. If you are a TalkTalk customer it may be best to contact them and see if they can arrange an upgrade to the latest box, model DN372T.
  • Thank you, here are the answers:

Does it show up as 3 seconds long on the playback bar and in the info section on the recording itself?
    The latest shows 2 seconds, in both. 
    Is this seen with scheduled recordings or when recording live TV?
    Scheduled.
    Did the recording start late?
    No.
    Did the recording finish early?
    Yes.
    How much was missing overall?
    All bar the first 2 or 3 seconds.
    What is the signal/strength on the channels where this is occurring?
    ch3 : Strength : 29. Quality:90
    ch4 : Strength : 29. Quality:88
    What state was the box in when the recording should have happened? 
    Stand by.
    Did the start of the recording correspond to when the viewer turned their box on to watch TV?
    No.
    Or did the recording happen when you weren't around?
    Yes.

To locate your box, can you please attempt 5 software updates in a row. 
    Done at 12:37 PM, Saturday 30-Nov-2019 at 12:27 PM.

edited 30 November 2019, 3:13PM
    Hi Whatnameisavailable,
    The signal strength you are receiving on the Youview is terrible! It would be interesting to know the signal strength received via your Tv's own built in tuner (via tv menu settings). You should get at least 60/70%+ signal strength. I know the talk talk dn372 has a weaker tuner signal, but this is very weak. Do you use a aerial booster? We use several around the home, as we use a lot of pvrs/tv's. Should increase the signal strength. Might have a lot to do with recordings not working correctly. If still a problem, worth checking your tv aerial/cables etc. John L