New BT TV 4K box on the way?

John29John29 Posts: 46Member
Article on the ISPReview website.
The sites editor Mark is usually pretty spot on with his sources.

The new box will include support for 4K and HDR video content, as well as Dolby Atmos sound. Crucially though they’ve also added the ability to connect the box via WiFi (a very long overdue but welcome feature) and you’ll still be able to record two channels while watching a third.

On top of that BT will also add a Bluetooth remote control, integration with Amazon / Netflix / YouTube etc. and in the future a new content sharing feature via app to a second box. As previously reported, BT’s deal with Sky means that NOW TV is also coming to the new box and we understand there are plans to potentially include Britbox and Disney+ when they launch (or possibly a little later).

Comments

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 336Time out
    No actual mention of youview
  • John29John29 Posts: 46Member
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't, but you never know.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/isp-bt-preps-uk-pay-tv-relaunch-with-new-wifi-set-top-box.html

The good news is that BT appears to be gearing up for a relaunch of their Pay TV platform, which will take place around early 2020 (likely to be officially announced around December 2019) and this will be complemented by a new STB. At this stage we don’t know if this will also be a Humax built YouView+ box, although it appears to have many of the same features and so our assumption is that they will be retained.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/isp-bt-preps-uk-pay-tv-relaunch-with-new-wifi-set-top-box.html
    "Credible sources have informed ISPreview.co.uk that BT’s retail UK broadband ISP division plans to relaunch their Pay TV (IPTV) service early next year."

What on earth can that mean? Relaunch how? A very wishy-washy statement.
    Relaunch how?

At the moment youview is not mentioned in any BT ad campaigns, 
     it's not even labelled on the actual apparatus. 

So I'm assuming the new box would feature in a massive ad campaign with totally new subscription packages. 

At the moment there's only speculation if Humax and youview are included in the relaunch. 

• John29John29 Posts: 46Member
    Visionman said:
    "Credible sources have informed ISPreview.co.uk that BT’s retail UK broadband ISP division plans to relaunch their Pay TV (IPTV) service early next year."

What on earth can that mean? Relaunch how? A very wishy-washy statement.
    Very little marketing of BT TV going on right now.

A relaunch is just marketing speak/jargon for a new aggressive marketing campaign.

It should be much easier to make the TV service more appealing with 4K HDR, Dolby ATMOS, WiFi, YouTube, etc

At the moment you need to use a 3rd party device to enjoy BT TV in higher quality than their own flagship box allows.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,536Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2019, 8:55PM
    They already knew that, John29. Heck, they knew it at launch and even talked about it.
    What's the possibility that BT will follow virgin and sky and not offer a scroll back epg.

How much of a draw is it in relation to wifi 4k and Atmos.

It is nice to have but ask yourself would it be a deal breaker if the new stb didn't have it?
  • croftcroft Posts: 15Member
    I for 1 do hope they use the YouView set up personally I like it and I’m using the T4000 and I like how fast it is