CRTs and Aspect Ratios

Hi,

I still use several CRT televisions from the 1970s and 80s. These have a 4:3 (12:9) aspect ratio screen. I use a Huawei YouView box to get channels, and i often watch re-runs of older TV programmes. 

When I watch a modern TV show it fills the whole 4:3 screen, cutting off the edges, which i can deal with. 

When I watch re-runs of old tv programmes, either being broadcast or on BBC iPlayer, anything that should be in 4:3 is a squashed up square with two black bars either side. 

Is there a way I can sort this out? I can deal with it, but would much rather a full picture. 

(Not getting rid of the TVs or getting a flat screen TV)

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,960Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Analogue and welcome.   :)

I am afraid you are probably stuck. Legacy programmes originally made in 4:3 ratio are carried by YouView encoded in such a way that they appear cropped on other side on what is now a standard 16:9 TV monitor. There are some such monitors that allow tweaking of aspect ratios, but the box itself does not have any such settings. And with CRTs of the vintage you are using I doubt that they have any options available either.
  • AnalogueAnalogue Posts: 7Member
    Hi,

The TVs have no control over the aspect ratio. 

So does youview transmit in 16:9 (including the 4:3 footage) and then show it normally in 16:9, should it be a 4:3 picture, it squashes the image from a stretched 16:9 image to its native 4:3 picture?

It’s quite annoying really, that and the lack of other basic features. 
    No, you're looking at it the wrong way. A 16:9 transmission will fill your screen, although parts of it will be missing. A 4:3 transmission is sent to fill a 16:9 screen with black bars on each side, so will be distorted down on your screen.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,318Member ✭✭✭
    Analogue said:
    So does youview transmit in 16:9 (including the 4:3 footage) and then show it normally in 16:9, should it be a 4:3 picture, it squashes the image from a stretched 16:9 image to its native 4:3 picture?
    The TV signal from a Youview box is in 16:9, whatever the aspect ratio of the picure. If the picture is 4:3, it is sent as 12:9, with a 2:9 bar on each side. If the image on your TV is squashed, it is because the TV doesn't know how to interpret the signal that it is receiving.
    Analogue said:
    It’s quite annoying really, that and the lack of other basic features. 
    What basic features do you want @Analogue? The ability to record TV programmes to reel-to-reel tape? :p.
    Now, now    :D
    I guess I'll have to get used to it for as long as I continue using YouView. 
    As for other basic features, I meant apps, and yes the ability to record.

Fortunately my VCR can record footage to tape from the box :D

I'm a fan of old electronic kit @Analogue, but TVs are a problem. Earlier this year I reluctantly decided to retire our CRT TV. The latest TV digiboxes don't have analogue outputs :'(.
    They can be, or you can spend a lot of money, too much money on getting it to work properly with modern systems. 

If you still have your CRT, you can pick up a Multiview T35 (From ebay) which converts all the digital channels to analogue, and actually puts them into the TV on 5 channels, so the TV functions as it would've with analogue. 
    I meant to have added

I've realised I've confused myself too, the 16:9 transmissions being cut off were from my xbox 360, which thankfully displays 4:3 normally. 

Sorry about that confusion, it's been a while since i used the xbox
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 336Time out
    Tech moves so fast, ever tried getting a new TV with a scart socket, 

Why would you I hear you ask

Well try buying a DVD player without a scart lead connection. 
    It moves too fast at times, especially with TVs, they leave everything else behind and cause issues with compatibility. I don't think I've EVER seen a DVD player with HDMI. SCART or Composite only
    Analogue said:
    If you still have your CRT, you can pick up a Multiview T35 (From ebay) which converts all the digital channels to analogue, and actually puts them into the TV on 5 channels, so the TV functions as it would've with analogue. 
    That's an interesting piece of kit @Analogue. Thank you for pointing it out.
    I needed to get our CRT TV out of the room for some house maintenance and I decided not to put it back. I don't miss it. The room seems bigger now that it's gone :).
    No problem, I've got one but still like to access some more channels (hence youview) 

Thanks