Lost 100 channels

KikiMKikiM Posts: 4Member
Hi, I’m getting very frustrated as I’ve lost 100 odd channels, including BBC, ITV, Channels 4 and 5, for nearly two weeks. I’ve had a BT engineer round who says everything BT-wise is in order and that it’s a YouView problem. I’ve done all the checks on the support site and I still only have 5 random channels. Nothing is wrong with the cables or aerial (I live in purpose built block with communal aerial) and my neighbours have not lost their channels. Please advise what can I do next. Thanks. 

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,348Administrator admin
    Hi @KikiM
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    If you've not done so already, can you please take the aerial out of the YouView box and plug it into the TV and see if the same issue occurs there?
    If not, please do a retune of the YouView box without the aerial plugged in and then plug the aerial into the box and do another retune. 
    Let us know how you get on :) 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • John LJohn L Posts: 305Member
    edited 23 October 2019, 4:35PM
    Hi KikiM,
    Welcome to the forum. Which model of Youview box ?
    First thing I would check is that your Tv's own tuner is receiving all the 100 channels. You don't mention if you have checked this. I appreciate you have had BT engineer out, but they don't always check everything. Can you also (if available test if all channels received with a spare Freeview pvr). But do check you are receiving a signal for main tv's own tuner first. Try plugging the aerial feed coming into home DIRECTLY to the TV. You may have a flylead aerial via the Youview box, so swap this for a test first. Hope this all makes sense?

Which area do you live. There might be engineering works being done that may have affected the box's channel setup. Could even be a faulty Youview box. If this is the case, was it purchased retail or via subscription? If subscription, hopefully the BT engineer would have spotted faulty box. 

Just to add: without seeing your setup, I can guess the problem could even be a faulty aerial amp booster (if fitted). Even basic checks like making sure aerial cables are secure/not faulty etc, are worth checking. 

When retuning, one top tip: UNPLUG aerial feed to Youview box & then TUNE. Once done, it will find NO CHANNELS (this CLEARS the channel memory - sometimes boxes get confused if transmitter has channel changes etc), then REPLUG aerial feed & retune again. Hopefully this may solve your problem and find more/all channels again(!). But if everything is working with tv, then it may be a faulty box.

Hope I may have given you some help. If you still have a problem, I'm sure someone on the forum can help further. PLEASE let the forum know how you get on. John L

Didn't see your post Sarah!
    Hopefully KikiM is able to solve the problem. John L
  • KikiMKikiM Posts: 4Member
    Thank you very much for your replies Sarah and John.  We're going to give these a try after work today and will let you know if we succeed or not!
    Hi Sarah and John, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I had the management company's TV/aerial man round yesterday.  He has 25 years experience and was still stumped by the problem.  Everything is fine with my TV and cables etc and everything is fine with the communal aerial and communal boxes, cables and stuff.  The 5 random Youview channels I can get show good signal quality but when he went onto other frequencies on the telly, it showed zero signal quality.  He thinks something is blocking the signal for these but doesn't know what as he has checked everything and there has been no kind of building work going on that could have affected it.  Any ideas??  Otherwise, he suggests I buy a freesat box via the communal satellite.
    Many thanks again
    Karen
    edited 31 October 2019, 9:27AM
    Hi @KikiM
    Can you please let us know the YouView box model along with the software version it's running on? You can find this by pressing Help and then Info on your remote control. It'd also be useful to know which transmitter you are tuned to. You can find this out by going to the Digital UK website and entering your details. Can you let us know which channels you are still able to receive?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 31 October 2019, 10:38AM
    Hi Sarah and John, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I had the management company's TV/aerial man round yesterday.  He has 25 years experience and was still stumped by the problem.  Everything is fine with my TV and cables etc and everything is fine with the communal aerial and communal boxes, cables and stuff.  The 5 random Youview channels I can get show good signal quality but when he went onto other frequencies on the telly, it showed zero signal quality.  He thinks something is blocking the signal for these but doesn't know what as he has checked everything and there has been no kind of building work going on that could have affected it.  Any ideas??  Otherwise, he suggests I buy a freesat box via the communal satellite.
    Many thanks again
    Karen

Good morning KikiM,
    No problem. It's really frustrating when you get a problem & it's not solved.

My first thought is did the engineer check for (maybe if fitted), an aerial distribution/booster amp in your own setup? If it is faulty, it certainly will block signal. Maybe he didn't find this. Could be wired in somewhere in the home setup or even in loft/cupboard etc. He could very well be correct with his findings overall, but don't forget he might not have checked every angle. Maybe a good test for you, before purchasing Freesat (aerial fitting at least £100+ per outlet) is to try a indoor tv aerial such as : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-FOR-ALL-SV9015-Full-HD-UHF-Indoor-TV-Aerial/383167442539?hash=item59368f2e6b:g:ie0AAOSwLW9c9PCd

Hopefully you will be able to prove Youview box can then receive more channels than the outside aerial. Worth a try! John L
    Hi Sarah and John
    My Youview box is Humax DTRT2100 and the software version is CDS/32.35.0.  I'm still only receiving the same 5 channels which are London Live (8), Sony Channel (48), Sony Movies Christmas (50), Sony Movies +1 (60) and Tiny Pop (207).
    When the TV guy came round, he discovered that the only signal coming through was for frequency ... 35...  and these were the only channels coming up on that frequency.
    He did go into every nook and cranny and cupboard but I don't know if he did anything with an aerial distribution/booster amp or.  He seemed to try everything. 
    I will definitely check out getting an indoor aerial before splashing out nearly £200 for a freesat box!
    Thanks once again.  It's a very frustrating affair!
    Karen

Hi KikiM,
    Hopefully you will get signal problem resolved asap.
    Yes, I would certainly have a check yourself before splashing out more money. Either borrow an indoor aerial from someone or purchase one/if not suitable/doesn't work for you/then return for refund later on.
    Yes, Freesat would be at least £200+ inc the pvr. The first dish we had was fitted by engineer. I'm no good with heights(!) But I added an extra one myself for downstairs use later on & did a better job (!) on the cabling installation. Let the forum know how you get on. I certainly would be interested to hear. Good luck.  John L

Hi @KikiM
    Can you please DM me with your postcode and door number so we can check which transmitter you should be near? You can do this by clicking my profile picture and selecting message once on my profile. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah