Anyone know what happened to digitaluk.co.uk ?

NiggleNiggle Posts: 58Member
There used to be (what seemed to me) a very good coverage checker at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk, but now I get redirected to https://www.freeview.co.uk, where the coverage checker just gives you a transmitter name (Crystal Palace in my case, even though I get a better signal from Hannington).

Did digitaluk close down?  Any good alternatives?  Thanks.

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 794Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 November 2019, 11:01AM
    Hi @Niggle ,
    It looks like digitaluk got rebranded under the freeview moniker (Same company and address).
    The information you seek is available if you scroll down the results page and click on DETAILED VIEW.
    John.

EDIT:-  It looks like the new web site has been rather dumbed down, and it's not now possible to access the page with a direct URL link.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    @Anaglypta

How do I find this Detailed View, either directly or indirectly?

It doesn’t seem to be coming up for me  :'(
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,431Member, Champion mod
    Hi Roy - it worked fine for me. The steps I took were:
    1. Visit https://www.freeview.co.uk/
    2. Scroll down and enter postcode in the box, then press 'check'
    3. In the results page scroll down to just below all the available channel logos, where I see a grey bar/section for 'Details View'
    4. Press 'Detailed View' button to get to yet another page with all the detailed info on
    So they have made it nice and simple ;)

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 November 2019, 11:40AM
    Thanks @Keith

Also under Help, I now find, where it is almost visible on the screen.

So, nice and simple for those who know to scroll a long way, don’t want to use one URL just to get to where what they want to do is, and isn't redirected to from the legacy DigitalUK results still up on Google, nor from previous links in the Community.

If that’s ‘simple’, I’d hate to be around when Freeview do ‘complicated’  :p
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,431Member, Champion mod
    edited 3 November 2019, 11:42AM
    Freeview perhaps took some pointers from someone at YouView who helped design the route into MyTV. A long standing prime example of something that should be accessible with a single link/button press but for many is a sequence of steps (thank goodness I have a harmony remote so get there in one press).
    In both cases there are many other good things about their systems ;)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,960Member ✭✭✭
    Grateful to the OP and others for both the heads up and subsequent pointers, this is a much used reference tool.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 290Member ✭✭
    Just had a look and the new look Digital UK site and rebranding don't seem as good as the old site.

Darren
  • NiggleNiggle Posts: 58Member
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

Agreed, I also prefer the old version.  And when I try to 'print this page' for the detailed results, it loses all the green/orange/red colour coding for the signal strength.
  • NiggleNiggle Posts: 58Member
    Correction, if you select 'Save as PDF' and also under 'More settings', enable 'Background graphics' then you get the colour coding.