Additional box / hotel use

YVtykeYVtyke Posts: 5Member
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has more than one YOUVIEW box in their home? Would it cause any issues if I had two boxes in different rooms off one main aerial? Also I was considering taking one to hotels with me as I travel a lot. I'm only looking to playback what's been already recorded. What cables would I need to plug this in to a hotel TV please? Thanks for any helpful advice

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2019, 6:14PM
    Hi @YVtyke

No problem running several YouView boxes off one aerial - I have three.

You had best keep them in separate rooms, though, as you can’t pair the box with a particular remote, so two boxes in the same room will both respond to a single remote.

You probably don’t want to do this, though if you did, draping a black cloth over the magic eye of the one you don’t want to respond will sort it.

When going to a hotel, an HDMI cable will probably be what you need, though if your YouView box has a SCART out, take a SCART cable as well in case you get an old TV without HDMI.

I would also take a male to female aerial cable (or male to male with a female coupler), to extend the TV aerial cable, though you can probably manage without.

You probably won’t be able to connect it to the internet, but some hotel rooms will have an Ethernet socket, so an Ethernet cable also may be useful.

Before your first hotel jaunt, though, try a dry run at home with no aerial connection to the box, and no Ethernet; just to check, if push comes to shove, that you can run the YouView box in playback mode without either of those connections, but with just the HDMI cable.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • John LJohn L Posts: 305Member
    Hi YVtyke,
    Welcome to forum.
    Yes you should be able to use in different rooms at home, but only as long as your internet is correctly in your setup: Powerline adaptors set up correctly/Router set up with enthernet cable.
    With regards Hotel use, you still need broadband. The Youview box is not Wifi, so either needs a powerline adaptor or broadband enthernet cable (if hotel has one in room!).  You need to have a router (I assume?) to be able to get it to work if using hotel broadband. You also need a aerial coax cable connected for Youview to work. First time I think we have received question regarding hotel use. Anyone else on forum have any further thoughts?

John L
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 174Member ✭✭
    Sound advice from Roy, but it is possible to have 2 in same room with no conflict, if one is a Humax and one a TalkTalk box.
    Didn't see your post Roy when I typed, but totally agree. Interesting question. Never tried it myself. John L
  • YVtykeYVtyke Posts: 5Member
    Thanks all for your replies. I'm aiming to pick a second box up pre Christmas then testing it out in hotels the new year. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers
    edited 7 November 2019, 8:15AM
    John L said:
    Hi YVtyke,
    Welcome to forum.
    Yes you should be able to use in different rooms at home, but only as long as your internet is correctly in your setup: Powerline adaptors set up correctly/Router set up with enthernet cable.
    With regards Hotel use, you still need broadband. The Youview box is not Wifi, so either needs a powerline adaptor or broadband enthernet cable (if hotel has one in room!).  You need to have a router (I assume?) to be able to get it to work if using hotel broadband. You also need a aerial coax cable connected for Youview to work. First time I think we have received question regarding hotel use. Anyone else on forum have any further thoughts?

John L
    Cheers @John L

@YVtyke

An ounce of experimentation is worth a pound of supposition, so I gave this a go. 
    Aerial out, Ethernet (sic) cable out. 
    Design goal, to be able to watch previously recorded programmes with a box in this setup.
    Result: You can. The box will complain, but you can ignore this.
    The picture thumbnails for the programmes will go from the main menu, and from the entries in My TV, but the text and Info remain so you can see enough to pick out the programme(s) you want.

The thumbnails going surprised me, but shouldn’t have; they are held at YouView Towers and downloaded each time you look at this display.
    I find this inexplicable though; they would take up little enough room in the memory of the box, and an absolutely negligible amount of space if they were held on the hard disc. I have no idea why YouView do it the way they do.

So: you don’t need a broadband cable, though as I surmised, if you can connect one, things will be better.

Aerial cable, my comments also stand.

Re John L’s thoughts, you don’t need, and can’t use, a PowerLine adaptor or a router. PowerLine adaptors have to operate in pairs; and you either have Ethernet supplied in the room, in which case only a cable is needed, or you don’t, in which case there is little you can do*. And you certainly don’t need a router, as there is no way you could use it in a hotel. Though perhaps a nanorouter is what John L was thinking of here....

*You could use a nanorouter, configured as a WiFi repeater, to collect the hotel’s WiFi signal, and feed it over a short Ethernet tail to the YouView box; I’ve done this instead of using PLAs, in a domestic setting. But in a hotel room, you’d also need a laptop to configure it; and given that you can do what you want to do without a broadband link, you probably don’t need the hassle. But I mention it for completeness.
    Holding my breath....
    edited 7 November 2019, 12:09PM
    A couple more thoughts came to me overnight.

If you take a YouView box to a hotel any distance from your home and do hook up the aerial, expect to have to retune.

If you have BT TV or the TalkTalk equivalent at home, any programmes you have recorded from the extra channels on those services probably won’t play while you are away, only Freeview recordings will. Unless you happen to find a hotel on the same ISP that you have at home, and can hook up the broadband.

I don’t know (perhaps @Sarah or somebody else does) if BT Commercial, such as a hotel might use, counts the same as BT Retail here.

If you take a YouView box to a hotel and do hook up the broadband, expect that the ’skin’ on your box may change according to whatever ISP the hotel is using, if that is different from what you have at home, out of BT, TT, and ‘Other’.

And finally, at home or away; you can’t pair one YouView App with two boxes, nor easily run two copies of the app. But you can download both the standard YouView app and the TalkTalk TV Planner app to one device, and control two YouView boxes that way. You don’t need to be a TalkTalk customer to use their Planner app, unlike the BT equivalent, which is only available to BT TV subscribers.
    Holding my breath....
    Why not leave the Youview box at home & have a break from it at the hotel. I'm sure the hotel tv has enough channels to watch without dismantling the wiring (!) My advice was only an idea Roy (!). I wasn't going into too much detail. Yes there are other factors to consider. What about surround sound modes for the hotel room. Now that's a thought: 6.1 or Nero 2.5 or just 5.1? First time I have come across this question on Youview community forum. 

John L
    @John L

If he’s anything like me, he has hours of stuff stacked up to watch, and hours to get through in the evenings when working away, and the two dovetail neatly.

And have you ever tried to watch an evening of terrestrial TV? That’s what NowTV Sticks (and YouView boxes) were made for.

I like your idea of bringing in a surround system though. Maybe not six or seven speakers and a neat small billfold, but a soundbar could do an all-in-one job. One without a separate subwoofer though; more portable and besides, the people in the next room may be trying to sleep  :p
    Holding my breath....
    edited 7 November 2019, 2:01PM
    Why bother carrying in a heavy surround system to the hotel? You could always use headphones or provide next door guests with free ear plugs!  John L
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 794Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2019, 2:01PM
    Roy said:

I like your idea of bringing in a surround system though. Maybe not six or seven speakers and a neat small billfold, but a soundbar could do an all-in-one job. One without a separate subwoofer though; more portable and besides, the people in the next room may be trying to sleep  :p
    My experience of hotel bedrooms is that I generally want to mask the sounds coming from neighbouring rooms.  😳

John

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,960Member ✭✭✭
    Some quality observations in this thread! But if you were to lug about a box purely to watch recordings, would it not simply work HDMI out to HDMI in on the hotel TV? Assuming you didn't want to play any non-Freeview recordings such as added channels on BT or TalkTalk.
    John L said:
    Why bother carrying in a heavy surround system to the hotel? You could always use headphones or provide next door guests with free ear plugs!  John L
    Hey, it was your idea!

How is he going to get the 6.1 you suggested otherwise?  :p
    Holding my breath....
  • YVtykeYVtyke Posts: 5Member
    Thanks Roy for testing that out. And yes I always have a nearly full hard drive. Having the capability to watch plenty in the evenings when away would be really handy
    YVtyke said:
    Thanks Roy for testing that out. And yes I always have a nearly full hard drive. Having the capability to watch plenty in the evenings when away would be really handy
    Yes, and do let us know how you get on. Hotel TVs can be strange beasts, with deliberately crippled remotes, but hopefully you will always be able to get to AV, even if the YouView box can’t auto-grab the HDMI port  :)
    Holding my breath....