DTG publishes refined version of latest UK TV specs

jimbjimb Posts: 1,138Member ✭✭✭

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,527Member ✭✭✭
    Thats interesting. Since when did the D-Book incorporate YouView? Thats a surprising change.
    Box updates - required via network link or USB - remains the same.
    Conditional Access - removed (what many call a CAD slot for subscription services) good, as no one ever used it in the UK anyway as they were too easy to hack (allegedly).
    Removal of Standard Definition receiver profiles - thats a VERY bad move as its effect is there are no longer any minimum requirements in regard to sound and picture broadcast quality and they are bad enough already!
    No mention of Hybrid or internet channels - I wonder why as theres been a 30% Increase in internet led TV over the last 2 years, which is a massive jump?

Thanks for the link @jimb. Have a like. 

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2019, 10:50PM
    @Visionman

As far as I know, YouView always operated to the D-Book standards as far as it could, but in 2012 what it needed to do involved breaking some of the standards required for Freeview certification.

What I’m surprised about is that in the last seven years, when Freeview has moved much more into line with YouView, stealing adopting some of its best ideas, that YouView still cannot be certified as Freeview-compliant.

Or maybe it just doesn’t want to be.

One gratuitous departure from the D-Book, though, is that when embedding 4:3 in 16:9, YouView throws away the metadata that the picture was once 4:3, entirely contrary to the guidelines.

It would be no skin off YouView’s nose to retain it, and might allow TV sets that understood it to offer the option of the stretchyvision that so many people seem to desire.

Me, I’m a 4:3 purist, but I would not seek to impose my preferences on those who differ in this wise.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....