Which YouView box - Humax or BT with TalkTalk Fibre?

Hello,

I currently have Sky TV which I plan on cancelling in January when my contract ends. I am going to move to Freeview and more specifically YouView as I want to retain features such as remote record which I am used to with Sky+. I have YouView on my Sony TV and I really like the interface, however I do not have any recording functionality with it.

I have switched my broadband to TalkTalk and I like the idea of being able to subscribe to their TV Boosts on an ad-hoc basis. However, I don’t think their TV Plus box will have enough capacity for me. I was looking to get Humax box and I understand that this will download a TalkTalk ‘skin’ when I connect it to my broadband? Would this also allow me to retain the features and updates of the “retail” box or would it essentially become a TalkTalk box?

If I were to buy a BT YouView box would I be able to access the TalkTalk services and would the TalkTalk “skin” download to this?

If I were to move broadband providers would the boxes revert back to the generic YouView skin?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2019, 12:32AM
    jmclevine Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

I was looking to get a Humax box and I understand that this will download a TalkTalk ‘skin’ when I connect it to my broadband? 

Yes.

Would this also allow me to retain the features and updates of the “retail” box or would it essentially become a TalkTalk box?

It would retain the feature and update schedule of the box according to its model, but would add any TalkTalk ISP-specific entries on the Main Menu (what you get when you press the blue ‘y’ button) and any TalkTalk ISP-specific channels to the Guide.

If I were to buy a BT YouView box would I be able to access the TalkTalk services and would the TalkTalk “skin” download to this?

Yes and yes, whether it was BT Retail or originally a BT TV subscription box.

If I were to move broadband providers would the boxes revert back to the generic YouView skin?

Yes, and you would no longer be able to play any recordings you had made using the TalkTalk extensions.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • jmclevinejmclevine Posts: 2Member
    Thanks @Roy - really appreciate the reply!

So, if I subscribed to the TV Boosts with a Humax Retail box, would I still be able to use the TalkTalk TV app? Would I also be able to use the YouView app for remote record if I had TalkTalk TV Boosts? Or would it be one or the other?

If I unsubscribed from TalkTalk would the TalkTalk skin remove itself or would I need to factory reset the box?

Many thanks again :)
    edited 16 November 2019, 12:20PM
    Hi again @jmclevine

So, if I subscribed to the TV Boosts with a Humax Retail box, would I still be able to use the TalkTalk TV app? 

Yes. 

Would I also be able to use the YouView app for remote record if I had TalkTalk TV Boosts? 

Yes.

Or would it be one or the other?

Yes. But only in the sense that you can only pair one app with the box box with the app and it won’t matter if it is the YouView app or the TalkTalk app, as they are interchangeable. So it’s your choice, but you do have to choose, as there’s not much point in pairing two apps on the same device with the same box. But very useful pairing a second copy of the app on a mobile phone with the box, say, to be able to schedule things while you are out and about. Or pairing two apps on the same device with two different YouView boxes, if you have more than one.

Within 24 hours or less, though, either a paired app will transform itself from its generic list of channels to mirroring the list of channels, Freeview and Boost, on the YouView box it is paired with.

If I unsubscribed from TalkTalk would the TalkTalk skin remove itself or would I need to factory reset the box?

Depends what you mean by ‘unsubscribe’.
    If you unsubscribe from TalkTalk Boosts, the skin won’t change.
    If you unsubscribe from TalkTalk as your ISP, yes the skin would change.

And no, you wouldn’t have to factory reset. As besides any TalkTalk Boost recordings you couldn’t watch anymore anyway, that would delete all the Freeview recordings you could still watch on the new ISP. And that would never do, would it?

[Edit: corrected as per @Tim C‘s posting below. Incorrect text in strikethrough, corrections in bold italic. Thanks, Tim C.
    Holding my breath....
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 439Member ✭✭
    Just to correct Roy about having either the TalkTalk or Youview apps but not both connected.
    You can have both and in my case also the BT TV app as well and all 3 work together OK. I only connected the Youview app today on a spare phone to just be sure that it was OK as on my main phone I use the TalkTalk & BT TV apps for my BT Subscription box & the Youview app for my other box.
    Tim C said:
    Just to correct Roy about having either the TalkTalk or Youview apps but not both connected.
    You can have both and in my case also the BT TV app as well and all 3 work together OK. I only connected the Youview app today on a spare phone to just be sure that it was OK as on my main phone I use the TalkTalk & BT TV apps for my BT Subscription box & the Youview app for my other box.
    Quite right - one app pairs with only one box, but one box can pair from many apps, of course.

Corrections duly applied, Many thanks.
    Holding my breath....