How to pair Huawei Talktalk box with an LG magic remote

Does anyone know how to pair a Huawei Talk Talk box with an LG AN-NR19BA magic remote? I would like to control the Talk Talk box with the LG universal remote. Thanks.

Comments

• RoyBRoyB Member Posts: 51
    Looks to me like it works a range of LG TVs and that’s it - not even LG soundbars, etc.

Do you have any evidence that it works anything but LG TVs?
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member Posts: 200 ✭✭
    You can't. I've tried. Unless someone else knows different.
    Best you can do is set the box up in the device controller, so that when you turn the box on it starts the TV and surround system or bar if you  one. Does not with Humax boxes either. 
  • lindasimmslindasimms Member Posts: 3
    RoyB said:
    Looks to me like it works a range of LG TVs and that’s it - not even LG soundbars, etc.

Do you have any evidence that it works anything but LG TVs?

• lindasimmslindasimms Member Posts: 3
    RoyBThanks no I don't, it's just that the John Lewis person that brought it and set it up was expecting he could get it to work and was surprised he couldn't.  So I have a useless magic remote that I can't use for half the things he said I would be able to use it for.  Just feel I have spent a lot of money and not going to get the full benefit.
  • RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭
    Hi @lindasimms

I don’t know much about these remotes, except that the name is misleading, as it does not seem to be the universal remote people might take it to be.

What were the circumstances in which you obtained this remote?

Did it come with the TV anyway, and that was the TV you would have bought anyway? Though even this would leave you without the universal remote you thought you were getting....

Or did you pay extra for it, or choose the TV that it came with over another make or model, based on what John Lewis told you about it? That would be a bit more serious.

But if you think that anything John Lewis said, and which you relied on when buying this TV, has caused you financial loss or loss of convenience, then take it up with them, and see what reparations they are prepared to make, as this is a breach of the Sale of Goods Act 2015.

Though if this is just something their installer thought when setting your TV up, and it is not something that came up while you were choosing the set, then you can call them to express your disappointment, and suggest their installers get a bit of retraining, and ask them politely if they would like to make a gesture (e.g. a real universal remote), but it isn’t a breach of the Act.

I think, anyway, but IANAL.

Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
    Just to expand on my experience, whilst the magic remote won't control the YouView boxes, it does work with Sony Bluray, and Yamaha surround sound (partially).
  • RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭
    Just to expand on my experience, whilst the magic remote won't control the YouView boxes, it does work with Sony Bluray, and Yamaha surround sound (partially).
    Where did you find the codes to pair with those devices, though?

And does it work with them when the TV is turned off? I’m thinking it might just be CEC working through the LG?
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
    You install the devices via the device control menu. Then with the DVD on you can use the Magic pointer. 
     The youview boxes the magic remote just does not work for me.  Using the 3 dots from the remote appears to give control for some functionality, but again I can't get it to work.
    I use the dedicated controllers for each device, as I find it much simpler.
  • NickSNickS Member Posts: 1
    edited 9 January 2020, 7:16PM
    I have just set up my TalkTalk Huawei Youview box with my LG Magic Remote. It took a little while to work out what to do. The box is a Huawei DN360T and the Magic Remote is AN-MR19BA. Using the Device Connector, I entered talk in the search box and selected TalkTalk from the search results, then Next. The Youview box must be switched on and showing a program, which will appear on the picture of a TV in the next screen.

Understanding the instructions was the issue; it wasn't clear to me that "click the button on the screen" didn't mean "click the remote button on the picture of the TV screen". I eventually realised that the "PR<up-arrow>" button was not "Previous" but "Programme up" (duh) and that I was looking for the programme to change when I clicked on that button. If it didn't change I clicked the "No (it didn't work)" button to try a different option. Once I found the option that changed the programme and pressed "Yes", everything works. I can turn the box on and off or select channel by number, or press the AD/SAP button to choose from other Youview box options such as the guide and settings.

@NickS, thanks for that. I had been, like you confused, and it took me 3 attempts following your comments to connect it correctly. It now works!
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 169
    I'm confused as to what a "magic" remote is.
    Have to revisit Harry Potter 🤔
  • webvivrewebvivre Member Posts: 1
    Thanks NickS; this has been puzzling me too. Got it working now. 
    Is there any way to activate subtitles with Magic remote on Youview box?