problems with reset when not connected to the internet

mintominto Member Posts: 15
I have been getting the old black screen problem when replaying recordings and occasional freezing, black screen then back to normal. So I tried to do a factory reset. I have lost count of how many times I have had to do this. This time my internet is down in the room where all the kit is so I am sitting looking at a screen which says connecting to the internet please wait. This is silly. It should go to the next stage which is retune channels. There is an option to reset from the usb but of course youview don't let you download the software to a USB these days. My internet does work sporadically so I may get connected eventually but I don't need it with youview unless I want to see these stupid pictures you get with the latest software. Anyone know how to get the software on a usb stick?

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 595 ✭✭
    edited 19 December 2019, 5:06PM
    Hi minto, the Youview design works with broadband & aerial connected only. 
    With regards usb, yes it would be a great idea if developed. You would also be able (hopefully) to revert back to previous firmware if box ran into a problem or user didn't like the software fix/wait for better version to be available. You used to be able to do this with Humax 9200/9300 models. Maybe a feature for the future . . . I forgot!  . . . this is the future!  Youview please add idea to list of improvements. 
    I'm afraid minto that you are going to need broadband connection as box senses what is connected. Hope you can solve your problem. John L 
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    @minto

The box is not trying to load software, it is trying to establish communication with the mother ship. 

This is something it does after a reset; thereby ensuring that a YouView box that is reset because it cannot establish a connection becomes a boat anchor if it still cannot establish a connection when it wakes up again.

The attempt to make a connection really ought to time out after a minute or two, but it never does.

I have asked before, without success, for this impasse to be looked at. @Stephen?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one