Smart TV apps

acesfanacesfan Posts: 3Member
Hi
Just a quick question as im not really up on tech stuff, ive just bought a new TCL smart tv and have set up my youview box and everything works fine internet tv terrestrial tv, recording playback etc but one thing im finding is I cant access the apps on the tv like youtube, freeview play etc, when I select these I get a no network signal why is this? My box is connected to the tv by an HDMI cable with the aerial and ethernet cables going into the back of the youview box. If I connect the aerial and ethernet cables into the tv direct I can access youtube so why not when the cables are connected to the youview box? I thought everything would work as the HDMI is selected from the viewing source in the tv settings. Thanks.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    @acesfan

The clue is YouTube; that’s not on YouView.

You have to have a separate internet connection to your TV if you want to use the apps on it, just as you need to have separately tuned your TV if you want to watch the channels on it directly, and not from the YouView box.

You don’t say what model the TV is, and I am not familiar with this make, but I would imagine it is WiFi enabled; so you have to look in your manual at how you do that - probably in Setup somewhere -and configure it, much as you would your tablet or phone, so you will need to know which of the networks you are offered is yours and not your neighbours’, and you will need your WiFi password, which is probably on a label underneath your router.

If you can’t get WiFi, you can probably run a separate Ethernet cable to it, with or without PLAs; but this can be a faff, so try WiFi first.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • acesfanacesfan Posts: 3Member
    Thanks for that now you've explained it it makes sense. I thought having a wired connection through the youview box would allow me to access the apps. My TV is the TCL43DP628, it does have the facility to enable wifi but that is off at the moment as I always prefer a wired connection, would enabling wifi allow access to the apps whilst the wired connection allows access to the youview channels? And is it possible to connect an ethernet cable to the tv as well as the one connecting the youview box? Thanks again.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    acesfan said:
    Thanks for that now you've explained it it makes sense. I thought having a wired connection through the youview box would allow me to access the apps. My TV is the TCL43DP628, it does have the facility to enable wifi but that is off at the moment as I always prefer a wired connection, would enabling wifi allow access to the apps whilst the wired connection allows access to the youview channels? And is it possible to connect an ethernet cable to the tv as well as the one connecting the youview box? Thanks again.
    @acesfan

The way it works with YouView is that the TV channels come over the aerial, and the internet (the Players and Apps) come over the Ethernet cable from the router.

And whichever you choose to watch goes over the HDMI cable to the TV, but just as video and audio, no matter how it got to the YouView box, whether by aerial or internet.

In terms of what the TV can do, you can have a further aerial cable from the back of the YouView box, which has a connector for just this purpose, and on to the aerial socket on the TV.

But you can’t do that with the Ethernet; for the TV, this must come over a further separate Ethernet cable from your router. 

Or you can use WiFi. In our house, we use WiFi wherever we can, only using fixed Ethernet cables for devices that don’t have WiFi, and it works just fine.

In one place, we have two requirements for wired Ethernet, but only one cable to that place. So here, we use a device called an Ethernet switch, with the long cable from the router coming into it, and two short cables going out to the two devices. Although it’s called a switch, you don’t have to switch it; it   is more a distributor, so both devices can use it at once, just as if there were two separate cables all the way back to the router.

If your TV is close to your YouView box, but a way away from your router, you might want to wire it like this - you can get a switch from Curry’s plus a couple of short cables - ‘tails’, they are called - for about £20.

But I would set up the WiFi on the TV first, and only use an Ethernet cable if that isn’t satisfactory.

Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • acesfanacesfan Posts: 3Member
    Thanks very much for that explanation it makes it all very clear, its straightforward to enable the wifi so that appears to be the option to try. All the best.