How to connect a Youview box to a new Sony Smart tv

Currently have a Youview box supplied by my ISP Talktalk.
Also have/use the Talktalk Sky Sports "boost" and all currently work fine with my current tv.
Just purchased a Sony Bravia KD-43XG8396BU tv which has Youview built in.
Before I try to install the above (and cock up!) could someone give me a step by step guide to setting up/connecting/wiring the Youview box & new tv please? 
Also .... Would I need to somehow "turn off" the new tv's own in built Youview system in order to use my original external box?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2019, 10:40PM
    theoldman said:
    Currently have a Youview box supplied by my ISP Talktalk.
    Also have/use the Talktalk Sky Sports "boost" and all currently work fine with my current tv.
    Just purchased a Sony Bravia KD-43XG8396BU tv which has Youview built in.
    Before I try to install the above (and cock up!) could someone give me a step by step guide to setting up/connecting/wiring the Youview box & new tv please? 
    Also .... Would I need to somehow "turn off" the new tv's own in built Youview system in order to use my original external box?

Many thanks for any assistance.

There’s a good leaflet on Setting up the TV that comes with it, and you should work through that first.

The YouView box then becomes one of the ’external devices’ you can connect to the TV, and here are the specific instructions for it, as opposed to the more general ones on that leaflet:-

Same setup as with your previous TV - plug the HDMI cable from the HDMI Out on the YouView box into one of the HDMI ports on the TV. Best not use the (e)ARC-marked port on the TV though, and reserve that for any soundbar or AV amp you might have, or might buy in the future. (The YouView box would work perfectly well in that socket, but doing this would ‘waste’ the (e)ARC capabilities of the TV, as the YouView box can’t utilise this).

The YouView on the TV won’t interfere with the YouView box (and nor will it replace it, as the TV YouView can’t record, and can’t provide your TalkTalk Boosts).

If you want to use the tuner on the TV, you need a female to male aerial cable to connect from the YouView box to the TV. Perhaps you did this on your previous TV? And make sure RF Loopthrough is turned on in the box Settings, so the TV can still work when the YouView box is in standby.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • theoldmantheoldman Posts: 5Member
     Many thanks for your reply Roy, it really is appreciated. I'll attempt to install the tv & YouView box later today. 
     Apologies but could I ask a couple of other questions following on from your reply >
     1) When you say if I want to use the tuner on the tv what exactly do you mean by the "Tuner"?   Sorry for being a bit of a Ludite!
      2) Will I still need to use the old original remote (as I do now) or will the new one that comes with the new tv "supersede" it and be able to access the box/tv settings to make sure the RF Loopthrough is turned on?
      3) Will I need to keep/use both remotes in order to use tv & YouView box? 

Many thanks again. 

@theoldman

1. I mean the bit that gets the TV channels on the TV for you.
    2. The remote that comes with the TV is likely to be able to work some, but not all, of the YouView box features.
    3. Yes, you will need both remotes, as the YouView remote is likely in turn to be able to work some, but not all, of the TV features.

And you have reminded me of one further thing you may need to do on the TalkTalk YouView remote, which is to set it to work with the new Sony TV. It may do this already; when the TV is set up, see if the TalkTalk YouView remote will control the volume on the TV or not.

If it does, fine; no change is needed. But if it doesn’t, dig out the TalkTalk Guide book that came with the YouView box, and see the instructions for setting the YouView remote to work Sony TVs.

Thanks again Roy, really helpful info.
     I'll go away, consume at least three shredded wheat, and attempt the install later today! 
     Will report back with the outcome ......
     Just to update >
       It seems I managed to do something right as I now have a new working tv and can still get the Sky sports boost through the old YouView box.
     Followed your guidance above and after initial plug in/turn on went through the start up screens using the "new" remote. All appeared to work until it came to the available channels scan ..... It couldn't find any!
     Had a cup of tea and grunted a bit!
     Happened to press the channel guide on the old remote and up pop's all the channels I had previously as well as the sports boost. All these channels were working so at least the Youview box seemed to be working ok.
     Went back to the tv set-up using the new remote and flipped past the channel scan page and on to the tv's Youview page set-up. 
     During this set-up it again scanned for channels and this time it found all the ones I could access via the Youview box apart from the sports boost. Following this it went to the internet conection and this seemed to set up via wifi ok.
     So at present I have a working tv with the channels I had before but I do have to change from new to old remote to access the sports boost channels. I can swap easily by changing the tv "Input" on the new remote from digital to Talktalk. 
     Still need to figure out if I need any of the app's on the tv but so far so good!

Cheers again Roy for the guidance

edited 31 December 2019, 4:56PM
    @theoldman

That all sounds exactly right, so great!

Any further issues, bring them up here.

Some of the apps seems to be the same ones as are on the YouView box, like Netflix, but of course now give you 4K and HDR potentially, if you subscribe at that level.

The Sony TVs don’t have NowTV, where the YouView boxes only have Movies at present, but are supposed to be getting Entertainment and Sport soon, and will hopefully go up to HD at that time.

I commend you YouTube on the TVs, though; lots of videos to show off your 4K, and no subscription needed.
     Thanks Roy I'll look into them  B)