Samsung TV

Hello,
This is my first posting but hope that someone on this forum would be able to help my 'frazzled brain'.
I have recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV and have a talktalk youview box. The problem I am now having is that I can no longer record programs onto my youview box. I have internet connected into both the box and the TV via a poweline plug (which has two sockets) and the youview and TV both state that they are connected to the internet, however since I have installed the TV and the Youview box I am no longer able to record internet channels from the youview box. Is there the ability for one signal only from the internet? If so is there a workaround.

I know I am being a little bit complex in my questioning but I am unsure of how else to word exactly what I mean. I am fairly savvy with these things and I am able to navigate menus and the 'gubbins' (posh technical term) at the back, I am just a little confused as to how to work through this. Talktalk as ever are really really helpful! And of course Samsung will only deal with the TV.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads (and understands) the post and I would be eternally grateful if anyone could actually decipher and help with the answer.

Adele

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 595 ✭✭
    edited 31 December 2019, 11:19PM
    Hi yorkrose26,
    Happy new year and welcome to the Youview forum. My first thoughts are you can't record off internet channels to Youview pvr. Unless you mean subscription channels, which as far as I know can only be obtained if you have a contract with talk talk still? Can you still record the free channels i.e. Freeview channels BBC 1, Itv etc? Is this what you mean?  If still not recording, try resetting box by doing hard reset press power button for at least 8 seconds. Hopefully I may have helped. Don't worry you seem technical, it's all a learning curve. Let us know how you get on plus if you need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Hi Adele, and welcome to the Community!

This is my first posting but hope that someone on this forum would be able to help my 'frazzled brain'.
    I have recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV and have a talktalk youview box. The problem I am now having is that I can no longer record programmes onto my youview box. 

We need to know how you have it all wired. And please excuse me wondering, but it it really just internet channels (the Boost ones provided by TalkTalk), or all channels that you cannot record? And can you watch the channels you cannot record, or are they not there at all?

The way I would wire up what you have is firstly with an aerial cable (male to male) from the wall to the Aerial (Antenna) In on the YouView box.

And then a second aerial cable (this one male to female, or possibly male to male with a female coupler) from the Aerial (Antenna) Out of the YouView box to the TV Aerial In. (Note though, that you only need this extra aerial cable if you want to watch channels directly on the TV sometimes, rather than from the YouView box. Though this is something we always arrange with our TVs, for versatility).

The YouView box should then be linked by a high-speed HDMI cable from the HDMI Out on the YouView box to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV (I suggest not to the one marked ARC; although it would work perfectly well in that input, you really ought to reserve it for any soundbar you might buy, as that is the only input a soundbar will work in).

Then tune the channels on the TV, and separately, on the YouView box.

I have internet connected into both the box and the TV via a poweline plug (which has two sockets) and the youview and TV both state that they are connected to the internet, however since I have installed the TV and the Youview box I am no longer able to record internet channels from the youview box. Is there the ability for one signal only from the internet? If so is there a workaround?

I’ve not come across a PLA with two Ethernet ports, but it sounds like a handy thing to have, and it should certainly be able to handle both TV and YouView box at the same time. So no workaround needed, you just need to get it all working.

Though I have just advised @theoldman to try using the WiFi on his TV instead, as we do here, and it seems to be working for him. Though as you have the PLA there, as long as we can get it working, it will be a bit easier to use.

So, router to PLA over a short Ethernet cable (a ‘tail’ as it is known), over the mains to the remote PLA, and then two more tails, one to the YouView box, one to the TV.

Double-check the internet connectivity, on both TV and YouView box, by ensuring you can watch a programme on the BBC iPlayer, on each of them.

If not, power off the router and both PLAs, wait two minutes, power the router back on and let it settle. Then power on the PLA nearest the router and let that settle. Finally, power on the PLA at the YouView box and TV end, and let that settle. Then try the BBC iPlayer on both TV and YouView box again.

I know I am being a little bit complex in my questioning but I am unsure of how else to word exactly what I mean. I am fairly savvy with these things and I am able to navigate menus and the 'gubbins' (posh technical term) at the back, I am just a little confused as to how to work through this. Talktalk as ever are really really helpful! And of course Samsung will only deal with the TV.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads (and understands) the post and I would be eternally grateful if anyone could actually decipher and help with the answer.

It all seems clear enough, except I’m not sure if it is really just that you can watch, but not record, TalkTalk Boost channels, or if the issue is actually more widespread than that? Can you watch Freeview channels? (BBC, itv, and so on)? Can you record those?

Can you make sure things are wired as above, and then report exactly what is not working, if anything still isn’t?
    When it’s all working, two final refinements:-

If your previous TV wasn’t a Samsung (or maybe even if it was) pair the TalkTalk remote with the Samsung TV so it can work the volume on it for you.

If you use the second aerial cable as I describe above, go into Settings on the YouView box, find ‘RF Loopthrough’ and make sure it is set to On. This allows  you to use the Freeview channels on the TV independently of the YouView box, even when it is in Standby, and has gone to sleep.

Good luck, and please come back with any remaining problems that we can likely iron out for you!
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one