DTRT1000 No Internet after Upgrade

John214John214 Member Posts: 3
Hi All,
My DTRT1000 (80B08500) has performed an upgrade and now it will not connect to the internet - was all working fine previously. My investigation into this seems to undicate this is a youview upgrade that is not compatible to the box !!!! Could someone please help, point me in the right direction. BEFORE suggesting reboots etc, tried that and I don't want to lose the 95% full of recordings - so no factory reset or whatever :-) Please help, thanks, John.

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 563 ✭✭
    edited 5 January 2020, 11:26AM
    Hi John,
    Good morning. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the DTRT1000 is rather an old model now, slightly under powered for new features/software updates. Have you tried a Maintenance reset options? Start with Option 2 that will save your recordings. I would try & see if this works. Full instructions are provided https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/ 

The worst scenario is that the Hard Drive/firmware has got corrupted, which means loss of recordings/Hard drive repair (outside of box) or replacement Hard drive. Hopefully, you box is still ok. 

Please let us know how you get on. If you need more help, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Just to add you mention Hard drive is at 95%, might also be worth clearing down some recordings to give hard drive more breathing space. The hard drive is partitioned for firmware/buffer etc, but worth clearing down. I personally wouldn't run an older pvr at 95%, as you are pushing it to it's limit. I remember the older Humax 9200/9300 models when they crashed. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • John214John214 Member Posts: 3
    Hi John, Thank you for your replies. I'll try the maintenance reset, and clear some recordings. John :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2020, 12:48PM
    Hi @John214

The last upgrade rolling out to your box was August 21st, 2019, and these generally roll out in about six weeks, and is marked ‘Complete’.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

and click/tap the Manufacturer/Component Software entry for more details of it.

So unless you have had it offline since then, it seems rather unlikely that a software upgrade has only just taken place; what is telling you that one just has?

But I have nothing to add to @John L’s advice, except that if you are a subscriber to BT TV, and contact them if you can’t fix the box yourself, they will send you out a more modern DTR-T2100, gratis.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    Hi John214,
    As Roy mentions not connected to internet or I can only guess you have only just plugged in/used the machine after a long time. They need to be plugged in 24/7 & are normally updated with software as soon as it is released. Hope you solve your problem. Let the forum know how you get on. John L 
  • John214John214 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Roy. Thanks for your comment. Yes, moved location and house over 3 month period and just got set up again. Everything working okay over Christmas and then machine rebooted on start up and upgraded and internet connection got lost and will not restore. Further research tells me it's happened to others - looking like a problem with upgrade. Lost as what to do, it's my machine. Regards, John
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2020, 1:03AM
    John214 said:
    Hi Roy. Thanks for your comment. Yes, moved location and house over 3 month period and just got set up again. Everything working okay over Christmas and then machine rebooted on start up and upgraded and internet connection got lost and will not restore. Further research tells me it's happened to others - looking like a problem with upgrade. Lost as what to do, it's my machine. Regards, John
    Youview boxes don't normally reboot on startup to update their software. Updates take place in the background overnight and yours should have done that following you re-connecting it in your new house.
    T1000s are old machines and it is possible that yours has reached the end of its time :'(. If that is the case then you will lose your recordings, but the HHD of a pvr isn't intended to be used as an archive.
    If your machine is still useable you could watch your recordings and in the meantime think about replacing it.
    edited 7 January 2020, 8:55AM
    @jonesh @John214

I believe that a YouView box checks on startup how long it is since it last checked for updates, and if it is a long time, it will do it immediately.

This used to discombobulate people trying to keep their boxes on YouView OldGen by switching them off overnight; the update would kick in when they switched it on again, about a week down the line.

So this could have happened here. And especially with the old T1000s, every update carries a chance the the box will turn in its clogs instead of updating; which is why I am against all these ‘maintenance releases with no new customer-facing features’.

Because what the customer is facing there is a round of YouView roulette - ‘faites vos jeux’....
    Roy said:
    I believe that a YouView box checks on startup how long it is since it last checked for updates, and if it is a long time, it will do it immediately.
    Thanks Roy. I like to learn something new every day ;). I don't know what that emoji is supposed to mean, but I thought that I would use it to pretend that I know what I am doing :).
    Yes, that could have happened with @John214's box, but why didn't it update itself immediately when it was re-connected?
    edited 7 January 2020, 8:26PM
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    Thanks Roy. I like to learn something new every day ;). I don't know what that emoji is supposed to mean, but I thought that I would use it to pretend that I know what I am doing :).
    Yes, that could have happened with @John214's box, but why didn't it update itself immediately when it was re-connected?
    @jonesh

Hey, don’t give away all my secrets! An obscure emoji is worth a paragraph of uninformed speculation   :#:smile:

As I understand it, though, it did update itself immediately it was reconnected, after @John214 installed it again once he’d got his new house straight.

But a YouView update on a T1000 is like a baby iguana trying to make it to the shore through a posse of racing snakes  :s
    edited 8 January 2020, 11:03AM
    Roy said:
    As I understand it, though, it did update itself immediately it was reconnected, after @John214 installed it again once he’d got his new house straight.
    I think that you are mistaken @Roy. @John214 said that everything was OK over Christmas. Then the machine rebooted on startup and upgraded. The internet connection was lost and it will not restore.
    I wonder if in fact his machine had already updated. On the day in question, for whatever reason, it failed to boot properly. It attempted to re-install its software, but failed to complete the process, resulting in a malfunctioning box. The assumption would be that the update had broken the box, but the box might already have been broken.
    If there is any truth in this it would explain why so many T1000s seem to fail either during, or immediately after, an update.
    I was just wondering . . .🤔.
    edited 8 January 2020, 9:24AM
    @jonesh

Yes, you are quite right; I missed that @John214 reported that the YouView box was working over Xmas  :/

Which means that my explanation of how this failure could have been caused by a late update falls to the ground; and so I revert to my original query as to why @John214 thinks this failure was caused by an update, when any update must have happened weeks before.

So I think it’s one of those failures that T1000s, particularly, experience, when they put themselves into Maintenance Mode in the hope of a remedy to some startup problem.

Doesn't get him, or us, any further forward though, except to scotch a red herring.