Dtr t2100 - Record schedule frozen / corrupt

powellj3powellj3 Posts: 3Member
Hi,

my box will no longer record anything already in the schedule, nor will it allow me to add or delete a schedule entry.  I can watch and delete recordings.  I have about 30% disk used.

Checking the schedule through the YouView App, I can see scheduled recordings set in the past still waiting to run.  Checking the box itself I can see only future scheduled items, less than a page of them.  

I suspect that the schedule list is corrupt and a full reset would make sense.  But that would mean losing all the family’s Christmas.  I ran a reset / keep recordings and this helped for a short time, but the box quickly jammed up again.

Question: is there any way of getting the schedule list wiped at the back end?  Obviously the list is maintained somewhere, as it is visible in the App even with the box turned off.

thanks

Comments

• John LJohn L Posts: 372Member
    edited 5 January 2020, 7:40PM
    Hi powellj3,
    Welcome to the forum. Don't panic! You don't need to lose your recordings if you carefully reset your box. All explained from this link: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/ . . .  option 2 is the best one to try first.

Then if this works, make a cup of tea, coffee & reset/repair your Youview app on your phone. I don't use this much. I do know it will be out of sync with schedules, so worth resetting. Hopefully someone else can give you more info on doing this, but first try the reset of the pvr box. Please let the forum know how you get on. Good luck! John L
  • powellj3powellj3 Posts: 3Member
    Sorry but in the third paragraph that’s what I meant by the reset/keep recordings.  Properly Option 2.

the issue is that this not only leaves the recordings but also the schedule and I think it’s the schedule that is corrupt.

ive tried option 2 and it is not a solution to this problem.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2020, 9:44PM
    YouView hold the Schedule for your box, but don’t and can’t maintain it.

It’s normal for past scheduled programmes not to be shown on the box itself, only upcoming ones, though the App shows both. and again, the schedule on the box only shows the next programme in each schedule, not the schedule for every programme in a series as far out as the EPG goes, which the App does.

However, it is not normal for these past programmes to have been ignored and not recorded, not without at least a placeholder saying the recording failed.

So it looks like the box can display the forward schedule, but can neither record from it, nor allow any entries to be deleted?

So the only thing to do, short of a full reset, would be to let the schedule expire. We might hope, as it is stuck, that it might die out in a couple of weeks, though if it can still add upcoming programmes to the schedule, it isn’t going to dies that quickly.

And either way, even clearing the schedule completely may not cure the underlying corruption.

You did say, though, that a Mode 2 Maintenance reset made the box temporarily OK? So I might be tempted to do a Mode 2, see if I can delete any schedule entries; if so, rinse and repeat until they are all gone, maybe.

Mode 4 is equally non-destructive as Mode 2, but does a more thorough-going reset. I don’t hold out much hope, but it’s got to be worth a try.

The only other option would be to watch all your recordings while you still can, try a Factory Reset when that is done, and hope that fixes it. Corrupted recordings and schedules do, alas, usually respond only to that.
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • John LJohn L Posts: 372Member
    Hi Powellj3,
    Never mind worth a try. The reason I suggested solution: You mentioned about losing all your recording over Christmas, you were worried about resetting box, hence why I saw priority being to sort the box out first. App not so important when you are trying to fix the route problem with Youview pvr. 

Why not contact Youview customer services tomorrow morning & see if they can help you further with the App problem. Hopefully be working again soon. Good luck.
    John L
  • powellj3powellj3 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks both.

solution I’ve gone for, though not perfect: I’ve dug out an old dtr t2100, which I’ve wiped and updated.  This clean box is working fine.  

Subsequently, I will connect up the corrupt box to a spare TV and the wife can watch all her cookery programmes in another room!  I like the idea of leaving the box over time to see if the schedule empties by itself.

completely unrelated - YouView are holding personal information about me (my TV watching behaviour plus who I get my broadband from and maybe even my location).  I don’t remember giving them permission though accept that I never read the T&Cs properly.  But regardless, according to the GDPR, they should be able to tell me what information they hold and have the ability to remove it on demand.

thanks
    John L said:
    Hi Powellj3,

(Snip)

Why not contact Youview customer services tomorrow morning & see if they can help you further with the App problem. Hopefully be working again soon. Good luck.
    John L
    Because there isn’t any customer-facing support provided by YouView any more  :'(

But the DTR-T2100 is a BT subscription box, and BT is supposed to help with these, even for users no longer - or never - on subscription. They might need a bit of convincing to support you if you aren’t a current subscriber, though.
    @powellj3

I suggest you read those documents, then.

I think you will be satisfied.