YouTube :-(

KingdomKingdom Posts: 2Member
How on earth can youview not provide access to YouTube after being requested since day one? Access to YouTube is a "must have" feature for many people, not simply a nicety.

I just installed a youview box and was singing its praises to my mother who wanted to watch the bowls coverage that is only shown on YouTube for the first week. I had to eat my words when I discovered no YouTube app. Thank heaven that our Panasonic box does have YouTube access.

This omission clearly demonstrates that service providers are not always working in the best interests of their viewers, but often put the wishes of their commercial partners first.

If anyone asks me in the future which box or TV they should buy, I will steer them to Panasonic not youview.

Comments

• John LJohn L Posts: 372Member
    edited 10 January 2020, 7:03PM
    Hi Kingdom,
    Welcome to the forum. 
    Youtube is a very popular channel to watch. I too use it all the time, especially music concerts. Amazing what you can find on Youtube. I can agree with what you say about Youview not having this app, but I think you will find that all the different pvr/receiver boxes all have overlapping apps/some popular that are not included on their platform. The main ones are Panasonic, Humax. Used to be a lot more brands, some been taken over/decided not to continue producing Freeview/Freesat boxes. I think it all comes down to cost, economies of scale & consumer demand. I also guess it is something that has to be negotiated between Youview shareholders & Youtube. 

I too use a Panasonic + also a Humax Freesat pvr using Youtube, but can't record on Panasonic pvr at the same time as using the internet apps, maybe the newer Panasonic pvrs can? I'm not sure. Does your Panasonic allow you to record at the same time as using Apps? The Youview & Humax Freesat 1100S allow you to record & also use other apps at same time. Probably down to processor + amount of Dram memory built into design.

I think with the technology market at the moment, especially changing all the time, you need several machines to cover everything. The USB sticks seem to cover everything & receive regular updates. Maybe Youtube will be introduced at some point on Youview. John L

• kodikidkodikid Posts: 26Member
    To me the best combo is youview and now, hopefully if youview finally gets full now tv YouTube won't be an issue. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,562Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2020, 8:40PM
    Why do people buy a box for what it *won't* do? Never figured that one out and I doubt I ever will. 
  • KingdomKingdom Posts: 2Member
    John L, thanks for the welcome. My Panasonic DMR-HWT150 allows me to watch YouTube while recordings are underway, but I can't hop out of YouTube to manually start a recording and then switch back, without stopping the app and then restarting.

Visionman, I bought the youview box unaware of the YouTube omission. If I had known this and didn't have the Panasonic box, there is no way I would have bought the youview box.

I feel certain that YouTube access has been omitted because the commercial channels have made a considerable investment in their catch-up systems and want viewers watching their ads and not Google ads on YouTube. It is the very popularity of YouTube that makes it a significant competitor for our viewing hours.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 January 2020, 10:00AM
    kodikid said:
    To me the best combo is youview and now, hopefully if youview finally gets full now tv YouTube won't be an issue. 
    That went right over my head  :|

NowTV won’t bring YouTube with it, and nor will it replace it.

Are you possibly confusing the NowTV devices, which do have YouTube (and are a good cheap way of adding this to a setup that hasn't got it) with the NowTV App, which comes standalone?
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • kodikidkodikid Posts: 26Member
    Yes, increasingly using the now stick in place of the youview box and got the two confused. If one had to go it would be the youview.