No Disney plus.

kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 286
Looks like Sky and Disney are about to announce an exclusive deal for the upcoming Disney streaming service. Disney plus will only be available on the Sky platform in the UK.
How these new developments effect Now tv coming  to Youview is anybody's guess. 
Ignore this if you disagree. 

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January 2020, 10:57AM

Firstly it has absolutely no bearing on NowTV coming to BTTV, why would it?

Secondly Disney+ will be available on many devices at launch AppleTV, Smart TV's, iOS, Android, Roku, Chromecast, Xbox, PS4 etc the deal with SKY is specifically for TV providers (Virgin, BT, YouView plus freeview I am guessing) and the details are still a bit sketchy as they say SKY will have exclusive billing integration and that is being read as the other STB's won't get the Disney+ app but that still isn't 100% confirmed (although likely). To be honest at this point the separate streamers are by far the most superior method for Disney anyway as they will deliver 4k HDR, most with DV or HDR10 and certain devices with Dolby Atmos, therefore AppleTV will be the most preferred delivery method for quite some time, beating SKY Q on  quality and breaking SKY's hold on first streaming right's window for the major film companies.

EDIT- The reports are fast changing and have now been revised to say -

The pair were this weekend putting the final touches to a multi-year partnership. Sky’s rivals Virgin Media and BT will be able to carry the Disney+ app, however, they will be unable to offer Disney+ fully integrated with other programming.

• David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    @kodikid
    Hadn't seen that thanks for the info , as a Sky customer integration will be nice to have 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 286
    Hmmm, will it cost though?
    Sky are masters of exploiting revenue streams and people could end up paying extra for what was previously included with their subscription. 
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 171
    kodikid said:
    Hmmm, will it cost though?
    Sky are masters of exploiting revenue streams and people could end up paying extra for what was previously included with their subscription. 
    Aren't they all?  ;)
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited 27 January 2020, 10:42PM
    This thread should not in my opinion be  in the Announcements section as it is NOT an Announcement but rather News.  All announcements are made by Youview representatives this is not.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭
    @scott SKY still own Disney's broadcasting rights in the UK. I believe they expire in 2021/2022.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2020, 11:24AM
    Visionman said:
    @scott SKY still own Disney's broadcasting rights in the UK. I believe they expire in 2021/2022.

@Visionman

The last I read was saying they expired Q1 2020 but not sure anyone really knows. Let me try to find the link.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020/01/27/sky-close-to-disney-deal/

'Disney’s deal with Sky, factoring in Fox, is spread across five European markets and is worth approximately £800 million per year. This existing deal was due to expire in Q1 2020.'

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, scott. As you say no one really knows. I can't find the link as its too obscure, but I believe I read SKY will still retain DISNEY rights when Disney+ launches in the UK in March. It was the 31st of March but is now the 24th. I've already watched some of its content and its very good. The introductory price point isn't bad either.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • marrrrena21marrrrena21 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, has anyone figured out how to watch Disney + on bt youview box?
    You can't!
    It will hopefully manifest itself on now tv around  the coming months .
    It might appear as a stand alone app in the near future but at the moment you can not watch it on youview. 
    If you're desperate to watch on your tv invest in a Roku box for around £20, it's definitely available on that device. 
  • deedee36deedee36 Member Posts: 55
    I take it it’s not launching on youview boxes then??
    edited 24 March 2020, 11:46AM
    It will...but
    as is customary with youview it will be later rather than sooner. Possibly October/November, Sky haven't given a release date for it landing on Now tv and even then there's no guarantee youview would benefit. 
    Disney might launch a stand alone app for youview but again the silence is deafening. 
    Like I mentioned the Roku box is the perfect companion to a youview box as Disney + is there as well as youtube.