YouView app closing down 😢

2»

Comments

• mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have solved the problem with BT app not pairing with Humax boxes. I needed to factory restore Humax. You can do this via the maintenance mode to keep recordings - see link below. This worked for me. I was advised by BT. If you still have issues, go to Play Store and go to BT TV app. Select What's New. Email address given. They responded to me withing 5 mins and I am not with BT. This is what they sent me: The YouView app used a different recording service, which was shut down on March 31st.  Your box should now be running the new cloud recording service.

You specifically need to use the Maintenance Mode form of factory reset, which applies to all YouView boxes.  The generic instructions are available here:

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 323
    Was there a problem?. 
    Mine paired effortlessly. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    The problem? You might have had  a problem.

To which a Maintenance Mode reset (be sure to use Option 2 or Option 4 if you want to keep your recordings, and if this suffices) is a nearly universal cure-all - sound advice from BT, for this and many other ills of the YouView boxes.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • lljwagglljwagg Member Posts: 4
    What a totally backwards move! Ignore the customers that pay your wages and shareholders. Idiots!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭
    lljwagg said:
    What a totally backwards move! Ignore the customers that pay your wages and shareholders. Idiots!
    I’m sure YouView aren’t in the slightest ignoring the people who pay their wages.

But you should not assume that this is the handful of people who buy YouView boxes,
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    lljwagg said:
    BT tv app is available to those still grieving ( in a kind of move on sort of way ) over this sad omission 
    It's not perfect but it's livable with.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    Its been estimated there are around 300,000 YouView retail boxes in circulation, which sounds poor. But wait until you hear the others figures.....

There are 50,000 Freeview PVRs in play, 5,000 of which are Humax 5000t's (which are garbage). And a just launched new Freeview Play product called the Manhatten T3 -R which is getting rave reviews for both speed and reliability and looks like it will likely will be the dominant Freeview Play PVR recorder. But it still won't reach YouViews numbers, as very few PVRs are sold these days, as streamings where its at. Me? I still prefer a recorder and also like physical, but thats just me.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 17 May 2020, 8:19PM
    Bizarrely streaming is not youviews piece de resistance. No doubt it has the best range of any apps found in retail pvr but Its lethargic piecemeal app rollout is disappointing. 
    To get a truly inclusive experience with YouTube and Disney etc it has to used in conjunction with other devices. 
    Until you can guarantee a program will be available to stream (shame on you talking pictures) my T4000's are going nowhere.