Recordings ending too soon

BiroBiro Posts: 1Member
I've found 100 pages from 2012/2013 about this topic but none help.
Apparently, to set up a buffer of a few minutes either side of a recording is not an easy upgrade, but in 7 years with nothing happening, surely people should be saying it's impossible.
It's not on 1 channel, or 1 show, or even 1 day, it's literally all over the place every day.

Any sensible offerings to this problem would be great, because they always catch the start but I've not had any ending in 2 days now and while it's stated that you can 'catch up' on shows, it's out of order to expect customers to watch 99% of a show to then have to search for it each and every time too, just to watch the last few seconds or minutes.

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,423Administrator admin
    Hi @Biro

Welcome to the forum :) 

We don't have any plans to add a buffer to YouView devices as we already use Accurate Recording which is also used by some of the main content providers. Can you please provide some examples of programmes along with the channel they were on which you find frequently have the start/end missing? 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • UrsaUrsa Posts: 74Member
    At least half of the ST Voyager Episodes on the so-called Horror Channel - at 19.00 each weekday evening .... frustratingly end in the contents last half minute or so - before the credits roll !
  • meyou2meyou2 Posts: 12Member
    edited 9 February 2020, 4:15PM
    Ha!  Accurate Recording?!? LOL!  That's a good one!

Yes, it happens all over the place.

One fairly regular one is Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Sky News (233), 8.30-9.30 on Sundays.  This morning the programme overran to 9.32 but the recording stopped at 9.29.

Another it often happens to is Law & Order, Special Victims Unit on 5 USA (21), more often with the 22:00 episodes.

And yes, sometimes Star Trek Voyager on Horror (70).  Others too.

But @Ursa, there's a workaround I use, which is to record the repeat at 9am instead and also record ST TOS that follows it at 10am, which I don't watch itself but if the Voyager recording comes up a minute short then I've got that minute (less a one second or so gap) at the beginning of the TOS recording. :-)

(I do this with the morning repeat 'cos at 9-11 in the weekday morning I don't have any other recordings to conflict with....)

• SchmikesSchmikes Posts: 4Member
    edited 9 February 2020, 9:58PM
    It appears to happen on BBC programmes. Such as Top Gear BBC 2 
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 970Member ✭✭
    Ursa said:
    At least half of the ST Voyager Episodes on the so-called Horror Channel - at 19.00 each weekday evening .... frustratingly end in the contents last half minute or so - before the credits roll !
    There are some alternatives
    There is catch up of Star Trek Voyager  provided in the CBS Catchup/Horror Bites player on Youview.
    There are also  alternative showings of the programming on the Horror Channel , for example on Sunday mornings currently there are 5 back to back episodes showing from 10am thru  to 3pm.
    Checking the few programmes I've recorded. Seems ok with with everything bar the BBC. Guess that's what the iPlayer is for
    Hi @Schmikes
    Do you have any other examples of programmes on the BBC which this is happening with? If you can provide the programme name, channel and time if possible that'd be ideal. We can then set up some recording tests on our end to see if we experience the same issue here. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Top gear BBC 2 Sundays
    Casualty bbc1
    Schmikes said:
    Top gear BBC 2 Sundays
    Casualty bbc1
    Thanks @Schmikes. We've set these to record on our boxes so we can check to see if this happens at the weekend. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • GRUMPYGRUMPY Posts: 6Member
    dave hd. top gear 4-5pm, 5-6pm recording short it misses the last 2 minutes every time 
  • meyou2meyou2 Posts: 12Member
    Sarah said:
    Schmikes said:
    Top gear BBC 2 Sundays
    Casualty bbc1
    Thanks @Schmikes. We've set these to record on our boxes so we can check to see if this happens at the weekend. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Why just those BBC ones?  As I say, a pretty regular one is Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Sky News (233), 8.30-9.30 on Sundays.

And another is Law & Order, Special Victims Unit on 5 USA (21), although they run an awful lot of episodes of that -- 3/4 every day (repeats of repeats, and I don't record them all!) -- so I don't know if you'd want to record all of them :-)  Still, since my previous post I've had it lose the last minute or so of the L&W SVU episodes on Sun 22.55, Mon 22.00, and Wed 23.00 & 23.55.
    Hiya, 

Accurate Recordings is a system set up which relies on the broadcaster to send signals for the start/end times to their programmes. When the signal is received, from the broadcaster, the box starts the recording and then ends it when it receives the next signal.

Not all broadcasters choose to use this method so we need to rely on the data they have provided for the start/end times of the content. Unfortunately this is not always accurate as programmes can overrun (quite common with sports or news based content) or the programme may not have been scheduled correctly, if this happens and the broadcaster has not updated the data we receive from them, it can cause the recording to become clipped at the start/end or even fail on some occasions. 

Since the BBC use Accurate Recording, it's quite unusual for clipped recordings to occur so we need to investigate it a bit more to attempt to recreate the issue and investigate further. 

We will set these other channels up to test as well but since they do not use Accurate Recording, it's a bit more tricky for us to work out whether it's because they do not have Accurate Recording or if it's for another reason which could also be affecting channels such as the BBC. 

I'll update here once I have a bit more information to share on this investigation.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • GRUMPYGRUMPY Posts: 6Member
    for the first time i can remember i had the end of top gear on dave but missed the start on both episodes 4pm and 5 pm  
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 194Member ✭✭
    I reported this back in 2014 with special reference to CBS channels. Youview support said then they would take this up then. 
    Thread here if interested.
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6393772/cbs-programme-times-missing-ending#latest