Sound bar problems

Hi! I have my sound bar connected to my YouView box via an optical audio lead. I like to listen to radio on the YouView without having the TV switched on.
The problem that I am getting is, despite getting sound through the sound bar when the TV is on, as soon as I switch off the TV there is no sound from the sound bar.

Comments

• John LJohn L Posts: 426Member
    edited 10 February 2020, 11:25AM
    Hi Pedagogue,
    Welcome to the forum. I don't think the Soundbar problem is related to Youview. Do you know what make/model your Soundbar is? I know we have one that keeps turning off when you change channels. Very frustrating at times! Hope to upgrade it at some point. But to answer your question, does the soundbar work ok normally when you change channels, change Tv AV/HDMI input or turn volume up/down? Some Soundbars are very sensitive & have an eco sensor built-in that detects sound levels and cut out at times. This maybe your problem - it needs Tv on to detect sound level to work correctly? 

Ideally you should connect the Soundbar directly to TV Optical (if the TV has one) so that the other TV Inputs inc TV's own built in Tuner also can send sound to Soundbar. Some TV's have ARC HDMI. Be interested to know how you get on. If you still have a problem might be worth contacting the Soundbar manufacturer for more help. John L
  • PedagoguePedagogue Posts: 2Member
    Thanks John L
    I've solved the problem. The sound bar has one SPDIF socket and I have two optical inputs (YouView box and Apple TV). I have a remote control optical switch and it seems to be on the same frequency as my YouView remote control. Switching off the TV also switches off the optical switch. Interestingly, I've discovered that the Volume Down button on the soundbar remote control also switches off the optical switch.