Scheduled list series record bug

meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 41
When you set up a new programme to Record series, the MyTV->Scheduled list shows up to two entries for the programme and with the first/only one incorrectly marked.

The first entry listed is for the next episode of the programme and is marked with the Episode Scheduled icon, and that's also what it says on selecting it and pressing Info.

If the episode after the next one is less than a week after then there's also a second entry, which is for that episode and is marked with the Series Scheduled icon, and that's also what Info says for that entry.

This is pretty confusing, firstly 'cos the first entry you see looks like it's only going to record one episode, even though you asked to Record series.

Then there's added confusion 'cos you may also (if it's a daily programme) see a second entry for the programme on the same screen ... or it may be on a following screen of the list ... or, if it's a weekly programme, there may not be a second one at all, leaving you with only the Episode Scheduled entry and you wondering if that's all it's going to do.

I currently have two boxes and this happens on both.  Both are DN372T, 3.6.138 / 72.48.81.

P.S. The problem is only in the MyTV->Scheduled list.  In the Guide all episodes of the programme are correctly marked with the Series Scheduled icon and are listed as such in Info.

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 476 ✭✭
    Not a bug, just perhaps a little confusing. It's been like that since day 1 I think.
  • meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 41
    Of course it's a bug.  It's incorrectly showing the recording status in the MyTV->Scheduled list, and including bogus entries.

Take the simplest case.  Go to the Guide and navigate to a weekly programme a few days away, say Mastermind on BBC2 at 7.30pm next Monday.  Press record and tell it you want to Record series.

It's correctly marked in the Guide, and shown in Info from the Guide, as Series Scheduled.

But in the MyTV->Scheduled list the (sole) entry for Mastermind is wrongly marked and shown as Episode Scheduled.

So you asked to record the series, it's going to record the series, but it tells you that it's going to record just the next episode.  That's a bug.

What's more, if from within MyTV->Scheduled you select that Mastermind entry and delete (cancel) it, it, as you'd expect, disappears from the MyTV->Scheduled list, leaving no Mastermind entry in the list at all.

If, however, you then go back to the Guide and navigate to the very same episode, Mastermind on BBC2 at 7.30pm next Monday, you'll find it's still marked to be recorded, and as Series Scheduled.  And if you now go to the MyTV->Scheduled list you'll find that an entry for Mastermind has reappeared, this time showing as Series Scheduled.

So you set up to series record Mastermind, then changed your mind and went into MyTV->Scheduled and selected and deleted the one and only entry for Mastermind in the list, but it's still going to series record Mastermind!  That's a bug.

That's not just a little confusing, it's broken.

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Hi meyou2,
    Yes you are 100% correct.  I have just tested the bug on my BT2100 for BBC1 Spy in the Wild later today. I opted for series recording in the options via epg and it clearly shows only icon for single recording. I thought this bug had been resolved a long time ago? Come on Youview, this should have been tested more thoroughly. It seemed to be working correctly only short while ago. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    I have just done another test. Itv Tipping Point for later this week for series recording. Seems ok, shows series recording on schedule, but when you cancel series recording via epg, shows single recording icon still on schedule? If only users could revert back to previous version until fixed. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Testing Spy in the wild BBC1 again. If you cancel series recording via schedule, it still shows series icon on epg??!! Something not right? John L
    Hi meyou2,
    Well done on finding the problem. I'm one of the Youview trialists and these silly errors were reported and dealt with sometime back, including the reminder icon, that I reported that didn't turn off from mini guide when looking at epg. There seems to be a oversight somewhere in checking software before releasing. I could understand new bugs, but not the same ones reappearing again. John L
    John L said:
    I have just done another test. Itv Tipping Point for later this week for series recording. Seems ok, shows series recording on schedule, but when you cancel series recording via epg, shows single recording icon still on schedule? If only users could revert back to previous version until fixed. John L
    Yes.  The problem isn't just that the icon is wrong.  What seems to be happening is that when you request a series record it actually creates two recording entries: a series record one and an episode record one for the episode you had selected when you pressed the record button.

If what you are recording is a weekly programme then you won't see the second one in MyTV->Scheduled, as that only shows you what's to be recorded in the next 7 days.  But if it's a daily one you will see it, and then there's the confusion as to which one is being cancelled....

Try it, go to, e.g. Tipping Point on Friday in the EPG and series record it.  Now look at MyTV->Scheduled and you will find two Tipping Point entries, one for tomorrow showing series recording and another for Friday showing single episode recording.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to test what happens when you try and cancel them using the EPG, depending on which episode you have selected at the time :-)

(Note that if you cancel one from the MyTV->Scheduled list it doesn't always immediately reflect the end result, you have to go away and come back to it to find out what really happened.)
    Yes, you are right. I also found the icon showing for series and also single recording duplication since I looked at it earlier. Hopefully Youview will fix bugs asap. I'm surprised no-one has reported this, maybe not noticed. Send Sarah/Louise a direct message and hopefully they will log this for you. Just click on the email icon on top right of your webpage. John L
    Just a quick update to say that the problem still exists on 72.48.87 / 3.6.162.
    And this bug is still present in 72.48.91 / 3.6.216.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, there are complications in the way recordings work behind the scenes that meant that these display inconsistencies (as noted above) have unfortunately been present in one form or another since YouView launched in 2012.
    However, some work has been done recently to clean them up once and for all and those changes have gone out with the latest two releases for Retail already and so should be in the next Component Software versions for ISP customers.