Now TV App update

JAK92JAK92 Member Posts: 3
Hi, with the BT launch tomorrow will the app get updated on all latest Youview boxes? Some rumours that the app is working tonight to get all passes not just restricted to specific pass(whatever BT's restriction is currently) I'm with Plusnet for TV I just wondered if we're going to get upgraded Now TV app to get all passes and boost option on there too.

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 324
    Afraid were all in the same boat, we'll know tomorrow but I've got a bad feeling. 
    There's probably 3 camps,
    BT tv...definitely will
    BT Broadband...anyone's guess 
    And Retail....Looking unlikely 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Adam_TAdam_T Member Posts: 61
    Working as of now on my BT 2100 retail box using Plusnet broadband.

• deedee36deedee36 Member Posts: 61
    Does this mean all BT boxes will update??
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    I got the full NOW TV on my t 400 bt box 
    Ken you got BT tv or BT broadband??
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    What broadband provider you with Ken? BT, Plusnet or other?
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    Got it on my T2100. Not a BT customer. On Vodafone broadband. 
    Interesting...
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Just had the update myself, on retail box using BT Internet. Got to say, it does look good! :)
  • JAK92JAK92 Member Posts: 3
    Can confirm the Plusnet TV Youview box has had software update which has upgraded the app so I can get all passes and in full hd with boost too happy days 
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    Now on my T2000!! 
    @JAK92
    whats your model number?? 
    Yea I got it on my T2000 retail box and I have virgin media broadband. It's on retail folks!!!
    and now my T4000 has it. :)
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 291 ✭✭
    Also on my DN372T box
  • JAK92JAK92 Member Posts: 3
    @deedee36 it's DTRT2120
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Yes I got it on my retail bought T2000. 
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Just done a update and had the IP channels added to my TV guide :)
  • fre55diefre55die Member Posts: 164
    edited 21 February 2020, 3:10AM
    Hi all

Just logged in with Entertainment pass on T2000 RETAIL on TalkTalk and it works.

I just hope that they don't remove it from non - BT boxes due to pressure from BT !!!

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 324
    Anyone want a Now tv stick, no longer needed 😁
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased to see this has appeared on my retail T2000 box too. Now if only one could reorganise the app tiles so it was less clicks to launch the NowTV player ;)
  • croftcroft Member Posts: 60
    Just WOW finally........

maybe that had to give up the app to get full now tv ...... I’m more than happy .......
  • MartinWMartinW Member Posts: 13
    So should everyone who subscribed to now tv see the channels in the main EPG, not just in the now tv app ? Do the Now TV channels also allow you to select show which have passed but are available to stream ?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2020, 3:18PM
    @MartinW

I am subscribed to NowTV, and can see the NowTV channels on my YouView box.

But these are two separate things; I see the channels because my ISP is BT, and so does everyone whose ISP is BT, whether subscribed to NowTV or not.

But anybody whose ISP isn’t BT, and maybe PlusNet, can’t see them at all.

And I can’t get those channels, because I am not subscribed to BT TV.

If I was subscribed to BT TV though, I still don’t know if I could get those channels just by being subscribed to NowTV independently of BT, or whether I would need to be subscribed to NowTV via BT TV to get them.

Perhaps someone who does/is can tell us.

It doesn’t matter though; I can get the live channels via the NowTV app on my YouView box, and catchup is NowTV’s stock in trade, and not just limited to any backward EPG.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    I just subscribed, not seeing it in EPG yet. This is on an ex BT 4K box, but with Virgin Media broadband.

Hopefully it will appear later. For me it would be a game changer and would make ditching Virgin TV much easier (at end of contract)
    edited 17 May 2020, 4:31PM
    MartinW said:
    I just subscribed, not seeing it in EPG yet. This is on an ex BT 4K box, but with Virgin Media broadband.

Hopefully it will appear later. For me it would be a game changer and would make ditching Virgin TV much easier (at end of contract)
    From my posting above:-

But anybody whose ISP isn’t BT, and maybe PlusNet, can’t see them at all.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    OK heres the crack -

If your not with BT as an ISP and so not with BT TV, a retail user gets the app to watch on demand or live Sky TV.

If you are with BT as an ISP but don't subscribe to BT TV, you get the app to watch on demand or live Sky TV but also now see Now TVs channels in the guide, though they are not accessible.

If you are with BT as an ISP AND subscribe to BT TV you get the app to watch either on demand or live Sky TV AND get access to the Now TV channels in the guide and so can record them. 

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Thanks for clarifying, I hoped that as my box still has BR branding in places that it would be enough.

Clearly the EPG relies somewhat on the old method of by tv subscriptions and info from the BT headend

Hopefully one day it will be integrated more, but I won’t hold my breath
    edited 17 May 2020, 5:14PM
    @MartinW

Software releases and App Updates depend on the model of the box, and this never changes, no matter which ISP the box is used on.

The ‘skin’ - the look of the UI and the channels that are shown - depend on the ISP you get your internet from:-

BT and PlusNet - BT TV skin
    TalkTalk.            - TalkTalk Boosts skin
    Any other ISP    - Retail skin

Whether you can get the extra channels that the BT and TalkTalk skins show depends on whether you have a BT TV or TalkTalk Boost subscription, and how extensive it is. But you always get shown the channels, just to tempt you.

People whose ISP IS Virgin get the Retail skin, and no extra channels shown.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2020, 5:19PM
    Both BT and TalkTalks recordable TV channels are multicast via a content delivery network passed on to multiple local headend nodes, sort of like a private commercial network. So as things stand at the moment, as they are multicast, no, but you never know! 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.