Youview box not working

AdamjonesioAdamjonesio Member Posts: 4
So I have gone to turn the TV on this evening and the remote wouldn't respond usually giving the impression that it has frozen. I restarted the system and it froze at the Humax screen. After a period of waiting I restarted again and this time it took me to the youview screen. But then went to black on the screen with the box stating "please wait".

A third reboot got me a little further with it then going through the loading screen before going blank. 
It doesn't seem to allow it to pass the loading screen and occasionally the front display will say "FULL" at the top.

Please help!

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,018 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 May 2020, 9:11AM
    Greetings @Adamjonesio and welcome to the Community!

As the box has a display, I am assuming this is one of the original DTR-T1000s (black box); the ‘FULL’ you see means FULL HD, and is quite normal.

These old boxes are failing now, and it sounds like this is what your is doing, alas; but even the working ones are being left behind, as they cannot cope with the demands of many modern apps, and in particular, won’t work with the BT TV phone and tablet app.

So it may be time to consider one of the later T2xxx or T4000 boxes.

But for a last despairing try at getting your box going again, there is Maintenance Mode. 

Try Option 2 in the first place, which does at least preserve your recordings and schedules, though any Settings changes you have made will be undone:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Make sure you follow the particular advice for the T1000, as how you do this varies for each different box model. 

And note that it may or may not rescue it, depending on what is wrong with the box - it can fix the software, but it can’t fix failing hardware.

Good luck!
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • AdamjonesioAdamjonesio Member Posts: 4
    Hi Roy

Thank you for the advice and yes it is the T1000 model. I did the factory reset and it doesn't appear to have been successful as we go back to the black screen after some loading. I guess I shall phone BT for a new one!

Thank you!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,018 ✭✭✭
    Hi Roy

Thank you for the advice and yes it is the T1000 model. I did the factory reset and it doesn't appear to have been successful as we go back to the black screen after some loading. I guess I shall phone BT for a new one!

Thank you!
    Oh Lord, you still have a T1000 on a BT TV subscription?

BT have been replacing these for subscribers for several years now; see if you can blag a T4000 off them then, though they may only offer you a T2xx0
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    They are replacing it but as they have T1000 in stock they have to replace with like for like which sucks. But renewal is set for September at the earliest so will try to upgrade boxes then.
    Thank you!

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    They are replacing it but as they have T1000 in stock they have to replace with like for like which sucks. But renewal is set for September at the earliest so will try to upgrade boxes then.
    Thank you!

They dont have to anything,  they're just fobbing you off.
    Politely tell them you have lost faith in this model and as a loyal customer you expect the same equipment as you would if you were a new customer (T4000).
    Otherwise come August you will serve notice and join Sky or just buy a retail box and purchase Now passes (always give them a viable alternative as opposed to throwing your toys out the pram).
    Remember you are being unfairly treated as a loyal customer and at the very least expect the same as a new customer. 
    Go for it.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    So it arrived today and isn't the T1000... They sent the T2100! 

Thank you for your help guys