BT Youview DTR2100 catchup not working on 2 boxes: All4, ITV, UKTV

AndyPitAndyPit Member Posts: 7
Bought two BT Youview DTR2100 boxes off Ebay. the first one i sent back because catchup on All4 ITV etc didnt work (iPlayer does work), but the second box has exactly the same problem.
SO. As title says, catchup not working on both boxes: I have been through this forum and cannot find an answer that works for me. Two identical boxes with identical problem, it must be a problem at my end..... (or at least a combination of problems that is particular to me.)
The problem: everything works as expected on the catchup (e.g. All4,ITV etc.) until I press the play button to watch a show. Then I get an infinite waiting symbol.... before any adverts play. Nothing.
So the boxes are able to access internet, but then tripup when trying to load adverts. I am thinking this is a location problem, i.e. the box is trying to load suitable adverts for my area, but somehow is confused where I am, so doesnt know which adverts to load and loops.
My setup is slightly different to most beacause we live in the mountains and use 4G broadband through a 4G router. I can use catchup TV on my PC and pmobile phones, so why is the youview box different?
Any suggestions...... I am getting very frustrated (well, my wife misses Poirot...???!!!)

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,609 ✭✭✭
    Hi @AndyPit and welcome to the Community!

Reading between the lines (or the peaks), do I take it you don’t have a terrestrial TV aerial?

As the channels with adverts are indeed looking to see which ads they should serve you, and they determine this from the particular region the corresponding TV channel, 3, 4 or 5, is tuned to.

And if these aren’t tuned, you can’t get the catchup.

A NowTV Stick, or more preferably a Roku Stick (a little more money, but a lot more versatile) will provide these Players without this issue.

Without terrestrial TV, there also may not be much (for which read anything) you can record; so though it pains me to say it, as a YouView aficionado, you may be better off sending this second box back also, in favour of a stick.

Or maybe I have your circumstances wrong? In which case, please post again, explaining how you are fixed for terrestrial (OTA, over the air) TV.
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • AndyPitAndyPit Member Posts: 7
    edited 18 May 2020, 10:55AM
    Um... actually we do have very good terrestrial aerial signal, being up in the hills, we have good line of sight to our nearest mast. Good try though... =)
    It is only the landline broadband which was bad <2Mb. So we are using an unlimited package and 4G mobile signal from Vodafone (which amazingly is cheaper and far superior (>45Mb) than the best landline alternative).
    I should explain that our setup uses a 4G router attached to the LAN network in our house, which allows the whole house to access to the vodafone 4G broadband and hard wired LAN through the house. We do not use wifi. But all the other hardware (PCs, phones, tablets etc.) are able to use catchup no problems: there is something different with this Youview box. Should also say that we have used an older youview box for many years with this set up (before the HDD failed).

edited 18 May 2020, 6:13PM
    @AndyPit

Well, there’s a cherished theory blown out of the water 😛

Next try: did you source both YouView boxes from the same source? New or pre-used? Maybe it’s a bad batch...

OK, the next step I would recommend is an Option 2 Maintenance Mode reset. This will preserve your recordings and schedules, but make a note of any non-standard settings you have made, or pairings to the BT app on tablets or phones, as you will have to put these back afterwards.

Use the instructions for your specific box, as they vary:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/
    and please let us know how you get on!
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭
    Interesting... So iPlayer DOES work, so at least you know your connected, but the channels that require an aerial to work don't. UKTV is a separate issue at their end which is currently in the process of being fixed.

When you first booted the box up did all the channels scan correctly for your region with 100% quality?
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
    Hi Roy/ Visionman.... Okily dokily..... more explanations (sorry).
    The 2 boxes are from different sources, from 2 different sellers and different locations on Ebay. (Unless I have been unlucky and the first seller re-sold the first box i sent back to the second seller.....??? ... but let's not get too paranoid).
    Unfortunately I have tried every permutation of resetting the box in maintanence mode (both boxes!!), software reset, delete and keep saved programs, factory reset, usb/internet reset etc...... bleurgh...... non work. I have been through this forum and others numerous times looking for a solution. I can only believw that it has something to do with the 4G data/vodafone/router....
    If I only knew how Youview use cookies to determine adverts (perhaps I need a modded cookie file)?
    Visionman, the box works perfectly (other than the adverts on catchup failing), I can watch iPlayer in HD quality, no delay or buffering. The OTA signal we get is excellent 100% for most channels. I have rescanned the channels so many times now (each time we factory reset) and each time get brilliant results. BUT catchup  on ch4, ITV just wont work... (and the others...I cant remember which work and which dont anymore). OTA stuff is all great and in HD for the usual channels. PLEASE dont give up on me..... ;)
    :'(
    edited 18 May 2020, 6:14PM
    Hi Roy/Visionman. Thanks for comments.
    The 2 different boxes are from 2 different sellers located in different areas of the UK from Ebay. If it is a bad batch I am very unlucky.
    I have used every single permutation of the Maintenance Mode, factory reset with/without keeping data, software resets, USB/internet updates & reset. Nothing, can get catchup on C4 or ITVhub to work. Strangely STV (yes we live in Scotland... hence the hills!!) does work... with adverts. WTF??
    Visionman, iPlayer works flawlessly in HD (good ol Beeb).  Every time we factory reset the box scans for OTA channels ~170 channels mostly with 100% quality. All the usual HD channels. Everything works fine apart from the CH4 and ITV hub catchup.
    I can only think that it is a problem with the cookies..... ITV hub and CH4 use them, nothing wrong with cookies, but I suspect that something is just tripping them up. Does STV player use cookies or do they assume everyone in Scotland should get the same.?
    Please dont give up on me...... yet.  :'(

Hi Andy and thanks for the extra info. I'm sorry to tell you if you live in the Scottish borders you don't have access to the ITV Hub due to rights issues and can only get the STV Player. CH4 still remains a mystery.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 228
    edited 18 May 2020, 8:20PM
    Just like our daily Mirror etc are re branded Scottish Mirror then ITV becomes STV, effectively the same but with a more Scottish bent  same as BBC Scotland. 
    There's not even a hint of mystery to Channel bore (4) as it's fully committed to be a national broadcaster and has recently opened up a large regional office in sunny Glasgow. 
    The rights issue goes back to the dark days of regional tv (Granada, Border) which Scotland didn't embrace when the regional's dropped the local tribalism to form a national ITV in 2013 to compete as a national entity with the likes of HBO Showtime and Netflix. 
    You can have the strongest terrestrial signal on the planet but without decent broadband streaming is not going to happen.
    Forget moblie data unless its unlimited ,the best offer at the mo is £20 with free Disney plus on 02.
    But even then some wont download unless connected to a  decent wifi signal. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    edited 19 May 2020, 5:47PM
    ........ sorry Visionman....must correct you, it is easy to assume everything north of the border is retarded, but although the ITV channel itself wont work in ITVhub..... all of the other channels should and do work on my PC and mobile phone...... ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe and CITV (phew!). Again, it is only the Youview box that isnt working properly. As expected, STV works flawlessly... good old independant Scots TV.
    kodikid.... I have been using 4G mobile signal for over a year for the whole house LAN.  That consists of 4 PCs, 4 mobile phones & 2 tablets all connected simultaneously through my 4G router getting 45MB/s to an unlimited Vodafone account (fair user allowance of 3TB/month... read that again 3TerraBytes/month). And it cost £18/month...... after many years living in the hills with poor wired broadband, the unlimited mobile 4G broadband from vodafone is a life changer. It works exceedingly well, vastly better (and cheaper) than most other rural, land-line based broadband ISPs.
    Anyways, seems that the Youview box just cant keep up with modern times, as I mentioned in my earlier posts I am 99% certain that the problem is with those nasty little cookies that all advertising and revenue gathering companies use to force you to watch the adverts they want you to watch, which are regional based.
    I will probably have to hack the box (cookies) that allows me to watch other regions TV........ unless any further suggestions? >:)

edited 19 May 2020, 6:58PM
    AndyPit said:
    ........ sorry Visionman....must correct you, it is easy to assume everything north of the border is retarded.

I wasn't assuming that at all, I was only talking about YouView. Good luck with your problem.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 228
    edited 19 May 2020, 8:57PM
    Visionman said:
    AndyPit said:
    ........ sorry Visionman....must correct you, it is easy to assume everything north of the border 
      Living  in Hamilton (Scotland) but born and bred a Scouser .
    Speaking as a proud Anglophile that should read north of Watford.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    AndyPit said:
    ........ sorry Visionman....must correct you, it is easy to assume everything north of the border is retarded, but although the ITV channel itself wont work in ITVhub..... all of the other channels should and do work on my PC and mobile phone...... ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe and CITV (phew!). Again, it is only the Youview box that isnt working properly. As expected, STV works flawlessly... good old independant Scots TV.
    kodikid.... I have been using 4G mobile signal for over a year for the whole house LAN.  That consists of 4 PCs, 4 mobile phones & 2 tablets all connected simultaneously through my 4G router getting 45MB/s to an unlimited Vodafone account (fair user allowance of 3TB/month... read that again 3TerraBytes/month). And it cost £18/month...... after many years living in the hills with poor wired broadband, the unlimited mobile 4G broadband from vodafone is a life changer. It works exceedingly well, vastly better (and cheaper) than most other rural, land-line based broadband ISPs.
    Anyways, seems that the Youview box just cant keep up with modern times, as I mentioned in my earlier posts I am 99% certain that the problem is with those nasty little cookies that all advertising and revenue gathering companies use to force you to watch the adverts they want you to watch, which are regional based.
    I will probably have to hack the box (cookies) that allows me to watch other regions TV........ unless any further suggestions? >:)

YouView boxes do not use cookies. There are strict rules about cookies, such that you have to be informed about them, and asked if you want them. 

Have you ever seen such a dialogue on your YouView box?

The region thing is no more sinister than happens on live TV, where you get the adverts being sent out in your region, rather than adverts sent nationally.

Some people might query why, say, Channel 4 knowing my region is essential when watching All4 on YouView, but not on any other catchup platform I have come across; you wonder how they cope. And you wonder if it really is regional; All4 doing all that just for YouView?

You also wonder why the BBC don’t do it, where the region matters for which local news, if any, you get, and you have to go into the iPlayer Settings and actively choose a region if you want the local news rather than the seven minutes of red screen and funny noises you get on BBC HD 101.

STV on catchup services on other platforms than YouView is odd, also; we Sassenachs can watch it anywhere. But you Scots can’t watch itv if you enter your true postcode when asked. So the trick is to put in a postcode in the UK region you want the local itv news from, so you can watch that, and watch STV whenever you want.

So those are the hacks - on a NowTV Stick for instance - but I think you will find the YouView box hackproof in this regard.
    edited 20 May 2020, 11:02AM
    Kodikid....I am also born and bred scouser.... I too am proud Anglophile (WTF!.... long lost brothers?!!?).
    Visionman, I feel that you may have misunderstood the sentiment, my comments that "it is easy to assume everything north of the border is retarded", was intended with heavy, dripping sarcasm, difficult to portray by text, I am sorry if you thought I was digging at you; merely trying to depict my frustration at the differences I regularly encounter as an inhabitant of the north, as I regularly do shout "This is retarded" at the TV/PC screen when encountering such obstacles.
    Roy, everytime I sign into Ch4 and ITVhub (having done so many times having reset the youview box so many times), I am flashed with the message "we use cookies".... If you go into the settings of CH4/ITVhub on the youview box, there is at least 10 pages outlining the use of cookies on the youview box. My use of the phrase "nasty little cookies" was intended to describe my frustration that it I am 99% certain that it is the cookies causing my problems. I am fully aware of their uses and requirements, I regularly have to use VPN to bypass them on my PC to access region restricted material. Cookies in the youview box are there to ensure we watch the correct regional information.... i.e. what they want us to watch, no point flashing a Harrods advert to someone living in Orkney (Do Harrods advertise?.. anyway you get the idea) or showing the rise in shoplifting crime in Manchester to someone in Inverness. But aside from the their legitimate uses, cookies are an additional layer of beaurocracy that can cause conflict in the youview box and hence the problems I am encountering.
    As I have said now several times, I am 99% certain that the cookies on the youview box are causing the problem. I have no issues on my PC (without VPN) or phone, both are connecting through the same 4G router; I also had a Panasonic freeview box recently which had no problems accessing CH4 / ITVhub catchup ( I returned it because in all honesty Freeview is a very poor relation to Youview).
    I am still here because I still have the problems accessing catchup CH4 /ITV on my youview box.... The "box sets" in CH4 alone are worth the effort to persist with finding a solution. In all honesty I might try hacking the box myself to bypass cookies, (Roy, we are talking levels of hacking here, I might try to access the HDD drive in the Youview Box and physically alter the cookies sections, but I am certainly no expert at this).
    I suspect this forum is the wrong place for such discussions, so I shall look elsewhere for hacking support.
    Thanks everyone for comments. Keep safe.
    :)

@AndyPit

Interesting observation about cookies. I’ll have a deeper look.

And do let me know by PM if you find any resources on the web about hacking YouView boxes; but you are quite right that here is not the place to discuss them, as it is against the guidelines, not to mention that doing it is against the T&Cs you agreed to as a condition of using the YouView service.

And these boxes phone home.....😛
    Hurrah..... got it working.... to my shame it was a setting in one of my routers, not sure which one, but had to reset all my routers to default and passes etc. and BINGO everything started working, so all sorted.
    Thanks for help... bye now