BBC iPlayer breaks record for viewing requests

VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
Since lockdown was announced on March 23rd, the BBC iPlayer has seen 927 million requests – 61 per cent higher than the same 7-week period last year.
https://advanced-television.com/2020/05/13/lockdown-gives-iplayer-record-numbers/
I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 416
    Compelling case for Britbox then.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 May 2020, 9:09PM
    kodikid said:
    Compelling case for Britbox then.

Listen smart****, unlike your comment on the BT Sport thread which I completely ignored, on this one I won't. This news is nothing to do with Britbox, its about news on the BBC iPlayer. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Smart××××
    Ok I get that I can be annoying and not everyone (or anyone) agrees but personal insults are not the way forward. 
    Just ignore me (most do) and trust me the moral ground is so much sweeter. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Smart××××
    Ok I get that I can be annoying and not everyone (or anyone) agrees but personal insults are not the way forward. 
    Just ignore me (most do) and trust me the moral ground is so much sweeter. 
    Indeed you can. But I didn’t think you were being annoying there - the extrapolation from one British TV service to the other seemed quite relevant to me.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 395 ✭✭
    edited 20 May 2020, 8:15PM
    I know I have been streaming a lot more since lockdown and have also found some new shows on Prime as well as Now TV via BT TV. I got Netflix but not used that much in will over a week. I also use BBCi Player at times.
    Have also found I been using Spotify and radio via my Amazon Echos a little more.
    7 weeks I have been off work now with my work 80% closed since lockdown.
    Hopefully my work will open a little more sometime in June if more lockdown restrictions are eased. Can't see my work fully reopening till later this year if it ever dose. As I work in a Community/Leisure Centre run by the council.

Darren
    Personally I cancelled Netflix just before lockdown and have hammered BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime both. Their content is extensive. Plus due to the easing of iPlayer rules from OFCOM, films and movies are now available on it. Plus since lockdown, sport originally shown 'as live' will be available as of today from Sat 23rd May.

Surprisingly no one has mentioned terrestrial tv,
    Doesn't bode well for poor old bbc 4 which looks likely not to survive beyond 2021.
    kodikid said:
    Doesn't bode well for poor old bbc 4 which looks likely not to survive beyond 2021.
    Damn, that’s my favourite channel - what BBC 2 used to be before it was dumbed down 🤪
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:
    Damn, that’s my favourite channel - what BBC 2 used to be before it was dumbed down 🤪
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52719883
    edited 20 May 2020, 10:09PM
    @Roy do you mean that you'd rather watch this:

than this:

surely not  :o
    edited 20 May 2020, 10:31PM
    kodikid said:

That is completely untrue as per the link above the BBC have stated they have no plans to cancel BBC 4.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 395 ✭✭
    edited 20 May 2020, 10:34PM
    @kodiplod I do at times still watch terrestrial TV but not as much as I used to.
    BBC I would say is my main terrestrial watch if I do watch. ITV(STV) I have been watching a little less over the last 18 months.
    At times I watch 5USA more than I do Channel 5. Not really in to the CIS type shows though. 
    I loving Now TV that I been getting via BT since end of February.
    I have the Entertainment pass and Sky Cinema pass. Big Entertainment as BT call it. Plus HD add on.

Darren
    edited 20 May 2020, 10:42PM
    Darren said:
    I loving Now TV that I been getting via BT since end of February.
    I have the Entertainment pass and Sky Cinema pass. Big Entertainment as BT call it. Plus HD add on.

Darren

Yes. I and many others trailed it on the retail platform. Its jump in picture quality and reliability has been staggering. Still pricey though. Discounts galore to be had.
    Visionman said:
    kodikid said:

That is completely untrue as per the link above the BBC have stated they have no plans to cancel BBC 4.

It's fate is all but sealed. 
    The only reason the announcement of its imminent demise is being delayed is Lord Hill (director general) does not want it to be one of his last acts before leaving in September. 
    jimb said:

than this:

We’ll draw a veil over this being BBC3, not BBC2  - the different number may be a clue 😛

But I did enjoy ‘Infuriating People’, about a couple who can certainly get it on, but don’t seem able to get on with it.
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

than this:

We’ll draw a veil over this being BBC3, not BBC2  - the different number may be a clue 😛

But I did enjoy ‘Infuriating People’, about a couple who can certainly get it on, but don’t seem able to get on with it.

I was really commenting on various reports indicating that BBC3 might be restored as a regular TV channel and BBC4 being ditched.
    I watched all of the Museums in Quarantine programmes and thought they were superb. So last night I watched ten minutes of Glow Up. 
    The contrast between these programmes could not be more extreme. 
    But then my views probably just confirm how very old and middle class I am. 
    A lot of excellent BBC 3 content gets shown on BBC 2 at a later date anyway, so would there be a need to bring it back? I've watched lots of good stuff on it but never considered watching BBC 4. 
    Wonder if we're witnessing the demise of terrestrial tv?
    Three of bbc1's primetime offerings this week (killing Eve, A word and really not normal people ) are effectively repeats having been previously readily available on I player.
    Suppose going forward people will
    find it increasingly archaic and unacceptable having to wait a week for the next installment or being told when to watch.
    BBC series have been broadcast first on the iPlayer then on BBC 1/2/3/4 for a couple of years now. Though the demise of terrestrial, SAT and Cable is somewhat premature, it will happen eventually. The only question is when.

Today, even pre-Covid, Netflix had more subscribers than Sky TV and Amazon more than Virgin. Since lockdown, just as with viewings of the iPlayer, subscriptions to both services have jumped considerably, with Netflix almost doubling its UK user base which now stands at somewhere around 18m.