BT UHD box can't delete recording in progress

tonirauchtonirauch Member Posts: 4
I have a BT UHD 4K box. I've tried numerous methods to cancel a recording in progress, which don't work.  I go to My TV/Recordings, I 'highlight' the programme in question and press the red 'record' button and get a menu option to stop the current recording, stop entire series, or 'back.' Whichever I choose, the box continues with the recording and I can't delete it until it's finished recording. I've tried the same sequence using the 'delete' button. This only seems to happen on 'terrestrial' tv (as opposed to the 'extra' internet-based channels.  Please help!

Comments

• Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 91 admin
    Hi @tonirauch

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having some issues, this is something we are currently looking into so would we be able to ask a few questions to help us investigate?

• Firstly could you let us know the Software Version on your box, this can be found via the Settings menu.
    • Could you list some example programmes this is happening on? Any screenshots you can provide would also be very helpful.
    • Are you, or have you ever tried recording on Sony Movies?
    • If so, are these recordings "split instance" movies (where there is a short news break between parts 1 and 2 of a movie)?
    • Are you able to cancel the recordings by any means - via the Guide or via Live TV as well as via MyTV?
    • If no, could you try tuning (if possible) to an IP channel (or internet channel) to see if this allows you to then choose a programme to cancel?
    The more information you can provide, the better :smile:

Thank you,
    Louise.
  • tonirauchtonirauch Member Posts: 4
    Hi Louise.
    The manufacturer software version id 32.43.0.
    The Component software version is 3.6.174 (7bc590).
    The problem seems to be relating to 'terrestrial' channels (BBC1, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc.). I've never tried recording Sony Movies, and the recordings with this problem aren't 'split'.
    I do seem able to stop active recordings on some IP channels, but not 'freeview'/terrestrial ones. As long as the programmes have finished recording, I can delete as normal. 
    The problem only relates to programmes WHILST they're recording....
    Thanks,
    Toni.
  • LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 78
    My box seems to be doing this too - a humax dtr-t2000
    Glad to hear it's likely to be software issue and not my box
    My software version is 32.46.10
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 295 ✭✭
    I could not delete the Salisbury Poisonings this evening until the recording was finished. T2000 box.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Me too last night for Holby on BBC1 HD. That's on a T2100
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,602 admin
    Hi @Lebowski @Stevef_fr8ys @Tim C
    Can you please let us know the component software version of the boxes you are using? This can be found in Settings > Software Information > Component Software. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah
    It's 3.6.220(eb1f32)

Thanks Pete

• eladkseeladkse Member Posts: 5
    I too have had this with a T4000. Could not stop recording The Last Leg on Channel 4 a week or two ago until it had finished.

Component Software 3.6.190 (ea4e91)
    Manufacturer Software 32.45.0

Hi Sarah,
    another thing I'd noticed in the past is that when you could delete a series linked recording before the end (which I now can't do), the youview box would think it was a failed recording and record it at another time if possible.
    e.g. I series link Neighbours (sad I know!), and if I'd watched it live then deleted the box's recording while still recording, the box would record the Channel 5+1 episode later.
    Anyways just a minor glitch, but thought I'd mention while you are looking at the whole deleting series link recordings thingy,
    thanks,
    Pete
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Member Posts: 2
    I noticed this some time ago.  I started the following thread on Digital Spy:
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2375318/bt-uhd-box-unable-to-delete-a-recording-programme#latest

Hi @Sarah
    I'm on 3.6.226 (499b88)

Steve

Ps I can never reply directly from the email as I get a reply access denied.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 June 2020, 8:14PM

Hi @Sarah
    I'm on 3.6.226 (499b88)

Steve

Ps I can never reply directly from the email as I get a reply access denied.

Nobody can. 
    We told @Sarah on Day One that this promised mechanism didn’t work. Or possibly she told us.

But as seems to be par for the course, it has never been fixed, nor ever removed 😥
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    My T2100 is on 3.6.190 (ea4e91) , 32.45.0

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,602 admin
    Thanks all for getting back to me on this. 

Can you please confirm which way you are trying to cancel the recording? There's a few different ways so if you can try all the following ways next time you attempt this, it would be helpful for us to know if you get the same behaviour with all of these or not: 
    • Pressing record whilst watching live TV
    • Pressing record or delete in the MyTV main menu
    • Pressing record or delete in the full MyTV Recordings screen
    • Pressing record in the EPG
    If any do work, please let us know the programme name, time and channel. It'd also be useful to know what you see on the screen e.g. the dialog prompt to cancel episode or series, and any notification at the top of the screen that the programme will no longer be recorded.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah. Just had a play with bbc news at one on 101 channel. All deleting as it should using methods above. Interestingly my box has just had latest update to include kids. 
    Don't know if that's sorted this too.
    3.6.226(499b88)
    Thanks Pete

edited 18 June 2020, 2:14PM
    Not tried it since but I was doing it by pressing delete in the full MyTV main menu screen, whilst it was still recording.
    @Sarah, could not delete Match if the Day tonight on my DN 372T box. Tried both from main screen and mini screen.
    3.6.213 (ea4e91)
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 91 admin
    Hi all,

We have recently released a fix to Retail which includes a fix for some issues regarding cancelling in progress recordings.

If you are still experiencing this issue on Retail devices, please do let us know.

Thank you,
    Louise.
    Just to say that last night on BT Sport 1 HD no matter what I tried I couldn't delete the Chelsea game whilst it was still recording.
    Tried from the recordings screen, from the EPG by stop recording this episode.
    I did this whilst on the same channel, going to a different channel and then by going to standby & powering back on. Same result every time.
  • meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 45
    Just to add that I've recently, as of a few days ago, started getting the same problem on my DN372T, methinks coinciding with the update to 72.48.91 / 3.6.216.

• kashpopatkashpopat Member Posts: 3
    Having same problem on DTR4000. Cannot stop a live recording from any screen. Has anyone done a reset and deleted old recordings to see if it fixes it?
    edited 6 July 2020, 6:36PM
    I've just updated to 32.47 which , on a very brief test , seems to have resolved this issue. When I say very brief it was just start a recording from the guide and then a few minutes later stop it from the guide. I'll try something more extensive later.
    Just to add this update was applied to 2 T4000 boxes and a T2100 box.
  • kashpopatkashpopat Member Posts: 3
    Tim C said:
    I've just updated to 32.47 which , on a very brief test , seems to have resolved this issue. When I say very brief it was just start a recording from the guide and then a few minutes later stop it from the guide. I'll try something more extensive later.
    Just to add this update was applied to 2 T4000 boxes and a T2100 box.
    Thanks. Did the update and quick test - seems to work.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    edited 6 July 2020, 10:45PM
    Bit confused by this thread.
    surely you wanted to record it in the first place and ok you changed your mind but how much of a hardship is it to actually wait till it finishes and then delete it?.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    It's only a minor inconvenience but why keep recording something you've finished with.
    Typical example might be a football match that you set to record to ensure you catch it all. So you skip to the start of the game and you're running say 10minutes behind by the time the game kicks off. Come half time you can stop the recording and go back to live viewing and if that was a freeview channel then you turn off the box & go back to live TV on the TV thus reducing your energy usage.
    Another example would be a program on a commercial channel where you skip the adverts until you're up-to-date and do as above.
    Not being able to delete a recording in progress is just a symptom of the underlying problem which, as noted in the initial post and acknowledged by YouView staff, is that you (sometimes) cannot cancel a recording in progress.

That means that if you're recording A & B and suddenly realise you want to record C instead of A, if you can't stop A recording you're stuffed.  Major problem.

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    Me thinks we may have to differ on what constitutes a major problem 🗣
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    Me thinks we may have to differ on what constitutes a major problem 🗣
    @kodikid
    That's absolutely fair enough and in the example quoted by @meyou2 that is a major problem. In my example it was just a minor one.
    Hi all,

We have recently released a fix to Retail which includes a fix for some issues regarding cancelling in progress recordings.

If you are still experiencing this issue on Retail devices, please do let us know.

Thank you,
    Louise.
    So, is there any chance of getting the fix out to TalkTalk boxes anytime soon?  This bug really is quite annoying at times ... :/