Is it worth buying another Youview box?

YVtykeYVtyke Member Posts: 11
Hi. I just wanted some opinions on purchasing another Youview box. Im wanting to buy a standalone recorder like one i already have but for a different room. However ive been told support for this is being reduced and also the boxes themselves seem to be discontinued as the only ones i can find are 2nd hand or refurbished boxes. I record plenty off the tv and also enjoy using the netflix/amazon etc apps on the box. Is another box a good idea or is the death of the youview box nigh? Thanks for any help

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2020, 9:57AM
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19005571/#Comment_19005571

and the post(s) following it are an active discussion of this issue, in the thread currently just below yours.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • YVtykeYVtyke Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I noticed reading online recently that the mobile app had been pulled. Im not too concerned with that as its not something i have used but just wondered if there was any word that the youview box (BT one i have) is losing any of its functions or on screen apps?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭
    YVtyke said:
    Thanks. I noticed reading online recently that the mobile app had been pulled. Im not too concerned with that as its not something i have used but just wondered if there was any word that the youview box (BT one i have) is losing any of its functions or on screen apps?
    On the contrary, BT are adding stuff all the time.

And even kindly came to the rescue of those of us who have lost the YouView mobile app, by opening up their own for us to use.

It’s somewhat inferior, but gives us the ability to set recordings remotely, which is the main thing; and we really shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭
    And the standalone retail platform has added many new apps recently, plus theres a very active trials programme always running. I going to look into the retail situation (buying new) when the shops reopen. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 346 ✭✭
    I have noticed on the likes of the Currys website they dont seem to list any Youview retail boxes and only Freeview Play boxes and that Argos only lists the BT Youview 2100 retail box.
    The only place that seem to have Youview boxes is Amazon and not all of them are new.
    So it looks like Youview may still be supporting there retail boxes with updates but less retail boxes are now on sale in the shops.