Box needs restarting all the time

sophiesophie Member Posts: 4
Started off with signal issues for all channels involving ITV, 4 and 5. Next all the recordings for all channels failed. The box seems to fail overnight and we have to restart it in the morning to get it working. Do I just need a new box? 

Comments

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Can you hear any strange sounds from the box. Have you tried a maintenance mode reset or a soft reboot? The soft reboot is done by holding the power button of the box in at the box not the remote. If you need instructions for a maintenance mode reset I'm happy to post instructions. If you hear strange sounds that you normally don't hear then the hard drive could perhaps be knackered.
  • sophiesophie Member Posts: 4
    Done all the resets and no strange sounds coming from the box. The signal issues seem to be okay now but recordings still don't work at all.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭
    @sophie

Failed recordings normally mean a corrupted hard disc. If there are no strange sounds, this may be software only, but it does require a Factory Reset from the Settings menu.

This will delete all your existing recordings; though if you can’t watch them anyway, no loss. Though if you can watch them but not record, watch what you can before the Factory Reset.

I can’t guarantee that this will fix your box, if the issues go deeper, but I can say it’s probably unavoidable.

However, it’s a big step if you have recordings you can’t get to, or want to preserve, so try a Maintenance Mode Option 2 first. It probably won’t be enough; but if it is enough, this is at least an option that would preserve your recordings.

Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against