Channel closures on the 22nd June

2»

Comments

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited 25 June 2020, 8:37PM
    Hope if there is to be another retune its not like on 22nd were some like me had minor issues with retuning.
    Seems some transmitters may have went on reduced power for a short while after channels moved to Coms 7. That the Freeview website did not tell us about.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2020, 1:10PM
    Darren said:
    Hope if there is to be another retune its not like on 22nd were some like me had minor issues with retuning.
    Seems some transmitters may have went on reduced power for a short while after channels moved to Coms 7. That the Freeview website did not tell us about.
    @Darren

There’s something about 107 in all this, isn’t there?

I turned 107 on today, on our Samsung TV in the bedroom, and got a ‘weak signal’ message. And looking at the guide, there were lots of channels missing. So I did a retune, and they all came back, but in the 800s; nothing between 50 and 100. So I did another retune, and they all came out straight, with what I now know to be the ‘usual’ handful of temporary high 700s duplicate channels, the ones that appear in the regular slots and exhort those who haven’t yet retuned to do so.

And the T2000 YouView box was weird; still on, in standby, so passing the signal up the aerial cable to the TV, but completely unresponsive either to the remote, or actually touching buttons on the box itself. I had to pull the power plug out and put it back in, on the back of the box, for it to work normally again, though it seems perfectly OK again now.

So I had a walk round the TVs in the house (all Samsungs); none had lost 107, but only one (the one from 2012!) seemed to have sorted itself OK after the channel changes; though both YouView boxes had. They all got a retune just to be sure, though. 

The 2015 set just looked like a set that needed a retune; the 2018 and 2019 sets had a weird array of logo’ed, but unnamed 800 channels. And the 2018 set went to a still weirder set of channels on a retune, even with initialisation on, though it did come straight on a second retune.

A right shambles, though; and only the YouView boxes, and the 2012 set we keep for the 3D, coped properly.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2020, 1:22PM
    You like 3D? Really? Can't do it myself, it gives me a migraine. A bit like this retune.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 256 ✭✭
    Your T2000 box sounds like mine. Always seems to happen when I'm away and does not record when in that state.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited 28 June 2020, 9:17PM
    Both my Samsung TVs are from early 2013 and mid 2014. 
    I know Coms 7 don't broadcast on full power but think some tuners in TVs as well as set top boxes can handle weak signals better then others. 
    In really bad weather I struggle to get a good signal from the local Edinburgh mux on both my TVs and  Youview boxes and always have. 
    If it windy outside or heavy rain Coms 7 BBC News HD comes up about signal at times even though BBC News HD is still mostly fine.