Help!

tansytansy Member Posts: 2
I have a 14" portable TV, & a Tesco set top box purchased on changeover.  Don't laugh, it's worked great all these years!  Picture crazing now.  Can't seem to improve ariel.  Could it be the set top box worn out?  Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 256 ✭✭
    If it's a Tesco set top box, I doubt it is a YouView one.

This forum is for issues with YouView products, so you will need to search out help for the set top box make, if there is one.

Sorry.
  • tansytansy Member Posts: 2
    Oh.  My mistake.  I thought it was general help.  Where do I find out, please?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 278
    edited 16 June 2020, 12:09PM
    My experience with tech is it can often  make more sense to buy new then to repair. It could be your tv or box. A new 20" tv is around £80 and you wont need a box to accompany it.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    tansy said:
    Oh.  My mistake.  I thought it was general help.  Where do I find out, please?
    @tansy

Our Community Guidelines do actually say we can help with non-YouView problems, but we must be careful not to become a home for waifs and strays.

Your Tesco box is probably a Technika, but this is just what Tesco badge their stuff with, so it could have come from any one of a series of makers, and you need to put ‘Technika’ plus the model number into Google, and see what you can find.

As you mentioned the changeover, do I assume this all dates from 2012, and your 14” TV is probably analogue, CRT, 4:3?

If so, hie you back to Tesco and treat yourself to the smallest LCD TV they sell today; you will be simply stunned at the difference. If you can run to a Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic or Philips, rather that the badge-engineered stuff bearing once-proud names that they have simply bought the rights to use (rather like the D’Urbervilles), you may be even more stunned.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭
    I have a Tesco TV bought for my son. Panasonic panel, badged Technica. Great picture and had it for around 10 years. 
    Roy's advice is sound. If you have the budget, get a new one as it will be cheaper than a repair and also be a miles better picture, as only HD TVs are sold today. But then you may want a basic HD box as well. I'd recommend a Manhattan T1 Freeview HD Zapper Box (non-recordable) at around £40. Or you may not even need a box if the TV you buy comes with Freeview built in.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    @tansy @Visionman

They all have Freeview; I think you mean Freeview Play, which brings a raft of on-demand players as well.

The better Freeview Play sets start at 32in, so space may be a consideration, but unless you don’t have the room for one of these, a set with Freeview Play integrated into it, rather than a separate box, will be more seamless in use.

There are some good inexpensive Freeview Play sets listed on their website:-

https://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freeview/products

You will notice that Samsung don’t figure here; but their sets have all the players anyway, so they have never needed the Freeview Play imprimatur.

And though they aren’t listed by Freeview Play, several of these smaller TVs from Curry’s have it:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/301_3002_30002_xx_ba00013254-bv00312216/xx-criteria.html

But measure the space you have; with today’s thin bezels (screen surrounds) you might be surprised at how much bigger an LCD screen can be, and still fit in the same space an older CRT set needed. Or even hang on the wall......

There used to be a thing called YouView, of course, which I suppose we ought to mention, but that needs a decent TV to work with anyway, and really comes into play only if you want to record stuff. But if you do, it beats out the Freeview Play recorders, IMHO.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭
    @Roy Top post.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.