All 4 and Itv Hub noticibly worse.

ZeeCeeZeeCee Member Posts: 3
While watching All 4 on my Sony Bravia KD49 TV, I have noticied a drastic drop in quality compared to casting or watching on my computer and having my TV as a second device. It it very obvious that the app only allows for SD content and at that a very low bitrate which is werid as it seems to be the only version/device that is unoptimised. For 2020 this is appaling and just shows how little the British broadcasters understand their viewers. Netflix and Amazon have thrived at this pushing for UHD and HDR content at respectible bitrates.... Will this change any time soon?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    Let me know when Channel 4 start sending out UHD broadcasts with HDR, and then we can revisit what the All4 app is capable of.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 278
    Simple answer is no. The commercial terrestrial outfits were struggling financially before the pandemic but now advertising revenue has plummeted.  The BBC are 
    also under great government pressure to reduce cost so if you dont subscribe to Netflix etc then you can only expect HD quality, and even that's not available to local BBC output. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • ZeeCeeZeeCee Member Posts: 3
    I think you both have misunderstood my post. I was asking whether Youview will eventually start to support HD over SD on All 4. I was using Netflix and Prime as examples of what we should expect in this day and age. I do appologise for confusion
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    ZeeCee said:
    I think you both have misunderstood my post. I was asking whether Youview will eventually start to support HD over SD on All 4. I was using Netflix and Prime as examples of what we should expect in this day and age. I do appologise for confusion
    hi @ZeeCee

No worries, but if your question was about HD, you can perhaps understand our confusion, as the word (acronym?) HD does not appear anywhere in your post 😥
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2020, 10:27AM
    ZeeCee said:
    I think you both have misunderstood my post. I was asking whether Youview will eventually start to support HD over SD on All 4. 

YouView would be and are more than willing to support HD over poor quality SD from ITV and ALL4. So your question should be directed at those providers why they don't. Though note ITV charge the user for HD on their commercial player.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.