New user,DTR 1000

sputnikstokiesputnikstokie Member Posts: 19
Hi, I'm leaving Virgin this week so have bought a bt youview dtr-1000 recorder. I am hoping to use as a PVR for Freeview.
Have I done the right thing?
I've not plugged it in yet ..are these still supported with updates etc?
Any help appreciated.

SS

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 June 2020, 8:59PM
    @sputnikstokie

i hope you didn’t pay too much for it - that’s the original YouView box, with a patchy record for reliability, and hardware such that the latest apps aren’t available for it.

if you had asked us first, we would have said to get at least a T2nnn (which one doesn’t matter all that much) or even a T4000, the latest and greatest YouView box.

But it should work OK (if not, you can send it back) and will still do everything that anybody asked of a YouView box in 2012 - play SD and HD terrestrial television, record programmes and series, go back 7 days in the EPG and let you choose catchup programmes for the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5.....

But it won’t work with newer apps like Amazon Prime Video, Full NowTV, the remote recording BT app, and so on, which all the T2s and the T4 work with.

Also note that it doesn’t work over WiFi; it has to be joined to your router by Ethernet, either a physical cable, or a link made over the mains wiring using Powerline Adaptors. But this is true of all YouView boxes, even the latest ones. (And we do know how to make it work over WiFi, though it’s a bit fiddly; I ran my T1000 over WiFi for three years).

But as a Freeview PVR, and just that, still as good as ever, as long as you don’t mind having to set all your recordings on the box itself, and you also bear in mind that this is ageing hardware, 6-8 years old.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • sputnikstokiesputnikstokie Member Posts: 19
    Hi Roy

Thanks for the info. I only paid £30 so wasn't expecting much as just want a PVR for freeview and catchup. I also use a Roku stick + so all good for apps. Maybe in 12 months will look at upgrading and seek your advice! Cutting the cord this week feels good,rip off!

SS
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭
    A £30 PVR and a Roku stick sounds like a great combination, have fun. And you know where to find us if you run into any problems.  🙂
    edited 25 June 2020, 12:31PM
    Hi all

Just set up the DTR 1000,all fine but TV remote won't switch off TV now!

Anyone know how to program the Humax remote? I've a Toshiba TV but on DTR 1000 the code list disappears! It's a Humax retail remote.

Thanks
    SS
    Sorted Now.
    Hi All,

Yes ,now decided to upgrade as DTR-1000 v slow. Any recommendations? Must be more responsive with a better TV guide I'm told,lol!

Cheers
    SS
    Seriously, unless you are a BT or TalkTalk customer there are better options available.
    edited 19 July 2020, 6:03PM
    redchiz said:
    Seriously, unless you are a BT or TalkTalk customer there are better options available.
    What like? Looking for recommendations.
    SS
    edited 19 July 2020, 6:20PM
    You should look elsewhere really, it would be unfair to do so on a YouView forum. Although if you search enough there are many who have posted otherwise.

Personally, I only use my YouView box for recording. The various apps work far better on my smart TV. Or Chromecast. Or Roku. And I don't subscribe, nor intend to any of the added subscription services which, as I said, are only available to BT and TalkTalk customers.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    SS
    Sadly YouView boxes are no longer available to buy brand new. Manhattan TR3's seem to be the box of choice at the moment. Although they haven't sold a lot either.   
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Sadly? Deliberately. Sadly.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Its truly horrendous and nothing like it was supposed to be. Losing faith mate.  :(
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 July 2020, 9:37PM
    @sputnikstokie

I think Redchiz is suggesting you look at Freeview Play recorders, rather than YouView boxes. Or maybe he is suggesting you move out of the world of recording altogether, and get something that will give you one or more of the plethora of competing streaming players, and give up recording altogether.

He is being somewhat oblique, so it is hard to tell. And you have a Roku Stick anyway.

While my wife and I do a lot more streaming now, with content, availability and devices that could only be dreamed of in 2012, we still see a place for recording.

And I don’t think any Freeview Play recorder yet released matches what the YouView boxes can do, nor beats them on price.

Certainly, you need a Stick as well, but the Roku stick you already have would be my choice and certainly won’t be wasted, even if it is only to get the Players that are nominally supported by YouView, but have limitations on this platform that they don’t have elsewhere.

But with a T2xxx or T4000 recording Humax YouView box, I don’t think you will be disappointed. Even if you have to seek out a grey market one.
    Oblique? Nah. Read my earlier posts. What is it that other PVRs cannot do when it comes to recording? Or are you thinking of remote recording alone, which was only resolved here by the good grace of BT.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 521 ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    SS

The Panasonic recorders are solid devices and have remote recording ability although not particularly slick and as mentioned the Manhattan T3R is looking good but remote recording has been delayed because of current events.
    Can I just clarify my thoughts here? My Humax T2000 is far and away the best PVR I have ever had. And I would be loathe to change it for anything else. But it is no longer available as a retail proposition. So BT and TalkTalk boxes are the only way to go now, available via the ISPs themselves. Or from third-party resellers with all the possible pitfalls which that entails. 
    edited 23 September 2020, 3:43PM
    I've now sold my dtr 1000 and gone with the Manhattan t3r, excellent!
    I've now sold my dtr 1000 and gone with the Manhattan t3r, excellent!
    To a museum I hope, and not some poor hapless punter 😛
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 470
    Considered the Manhattan but the poor aesthetics and woeful app's (no Netflix or now) meant it wasn't a serious contender to the new £80 T4000 I purchased from e bay.

It's a shame that youview is no longer a high st option as sadly 
    none of the current pvr's available retail bring nothing new to the table, it's as if manufacturers have given up on them.

Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    Considered the Manhattan but the poor aesthetics and woeful app's (no Netflix or now) meant it wasn't a serious contender to the new £80 T4000 I purchased from e bay.

It's a shame that youview is no longer a high st option as sadly 
    none of the current pvr's available retail bring nothing new to the table, it's as if manufacturers have given up on them.

Maybe that’s why BT now only loan boxes, and don't give them away; an altruistic attempt to maintain the viability of the commercial PVR market.

🤣

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 470
    In all fairness BT did give those with a retail box access to its remote app which certainly ticks the altruistic box.
    Ignore this if you disagree.