Passwords requested on Youview

jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 36
If I try some BBC iplayer when the box is plugged into the ethernet the message asks about codes .Not having the internet connected to the laptop I could not see how to answer the questions on youview.  Does the hand held tv controller have some connection with this ?    What gets me is the box knows my name and then blanks me like a total stranger 2 seconds later .

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭
    Try logging in via your laptop.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2020, 11:06PM
    jonjoseph said:
    If I try some BBC iplayer when the box is plugged into the ethernet the message asks about codes .Not having the internet connected to the laptop I could not see how to answer the questions on youview.  Does the hand held tv controller have some connection with this ?    What gets me is the box knows my name and then blanks me like a total stranger 2 seconds later .
    @Visionman

jonjoseph is the guy with the nightmare screwed-up Ethernet cabling in his house, and a reluctance to use WiFi where possible.

@jonjoseph

A careful reading of the screen you encounter when trying to use the BBC iPlayer will reveal that it is requiring you to create and use an account with the BBC. Nothing to do with YouView, you will get this on any device on which you try to use the BBC iPlayer.

To create such an account, you will require internet access on your laptop simultaneously with internet access on the YouView box, as we have discussed before.

When you have created this account, you will be able to enter, on the laptop, the code you see on the YouView screen. This enables the BBC to recognise your YouView box as a device in use by you, for this purpose, and it will say so, on the TV screen, when it has received the valid code.

Once you have set this up, you can use the BBC iPlayer on the YouView box without being asked again, except that if you reset the YouView box, you will get asked to do the code thing (but not the account creation) again.

None of this is to do with the YouView remote, or much to do with the YouView box, which knows nothing of your BBC account or the details of it, nor of this setup process, during which it reads the unique identifier of your YouView box for itself. 

The box isn’t blanking you; it still knows everything about you that it knew before. But none of what it knows of you is much use to the BBC, which needs its own way of recognising you, and of recognising your box, for the future.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 36
    Yes thanks for the answer . I checked again today and it does not mention the controller.  The sticky bit here is the word  Simultaneously .Youview plus laptop .The struggle to unravel this edged further forwards today . My son reluctantly informed me he has a "switch" as well as an ethernet tester. But does not seem willing to part with it . We don`t fight about these things.
      On the laptop  the tiresome BBC nearly always ask me to log on before watching anything .Like every day  they demand it. Then they say "Stay logged in ". I never log out !  But beware Click and Clean .That can mess it all up .
      Would it be more use if Youview tried to inform new users about how to access all these programs rather than wandering off and chatting about the programs themselves ?  Yes is the answer  . 

edited 3 July 2020, 10:10PM
    @jonjoseph

As you have found, YouView can’t keep their own User Guides up to date, not even on the web, so they certainly aren’t going to be able to follow all the labyrinthine twists and turns that third-party app suppliers get up to.

And nor should you expect them to. Go to the resources of the app provider instead; for the BBC iPlayer, for instance, you will find a wealth of information on the BBC website.

And I don’t know what Click and Clean is, but I suspect the (free) CCleaner I use does much the same job, but without throwing my logins away.
  • jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 36
    My tp- link switch arrived yesterday from Currys and works very well . A big relief as the instructions mentioned the IP address for the box etc . Thankfully a technical nightmare never happened . I have a very simple job now . How to tidy up a rats nest of wires dangling down the side of my bang and Olufsen tv . It`s a large set that sits on the floor  and needs a bit of shifting .  I remembered to order a cable to connect the tp to the wall socket . Another mystery popped up . Why are some ethernet sockets fitted upwards and some downwards ?  Much like a computer keyboard numbers section with 123 at the bottom and  mobile phones 123 at the top .
         Just as the tp box arrived on the front doorstep another parcel from China also came. It was a yellow plastic wire pusher to repair the ethernet mistakes when I feel agile enough to get around to it .
       Many thanks to Roy for a good solution .  
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2020, 5:19PM

@jonesh

Lost for words? 😛
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    No. Just lost. :/