Voice control alexa to youview tv not responding as expected

kinnoideakinnoidea Member Posts: 1
I have followed instructions in both alexa and youview settings and after entering code a success dialogue says devices are paired in my alexa app on phone. "Alexa find Doctor Who" just finds Doc Who icons on Alexa screen but no reaction on Youview tv! Am I missing something?

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 278
    No.
    I paired mine and quickly realized it's borderline useless in its current state. It will theoretically search for content but you still need the remote.
    Honestly don't bother with it till it improves. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭
    No your not missing anything. Its not very good and its actually easier to use the remote.
    Its great for listening to the radio, though. But still not sussed out how to listen to podcasts.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    @kinnoidea have you tried "Alexa search for Dr Who"? 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 278
    Visionman said:
    No your not missing anything. Its not very good and its actually easier to use the remote.
    Its great for listening to the radio, though. But still not sussed out how to listen to podcasts.
    In all fairness.....no it really is woeful. 

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    Isn’t the word YouView supposed to be in there somewhere, so Alexa at least knows where to look?
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    Isn’t the word YouView supposed to be in there somewhere, so Alexa at least knows where to look?

No, that doesn't work either.  :D
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    @kinnoidea this definitely works: "Alexa search for Eastenders".
    What should happen is that Alexa replies saying "Getting Eastenders from YouView"
    Then the search results are displayed on your TV screen in exactly the same way as they would if you had selected search with your YouView remote control and typed in "Eastenders".
    Have you set up the Alexa video skill for YouView?

@kodikid "borderline useless in its current state" is your opinion. This is an exaggeration in my opinion.

@Visionman you've said "Its not very good" and "No, that doesn't work either."
    Which is it? Does it work for you or not?

@Roy surprisingly the word "YouView" isn't required. If Alexa recognises your enquiry as a TV programme available on YouView it will find it.

And I think it would be useful if we tried to help @kinnoidea solve their problem rather than just expressing our opinions.

edited 1 July 2020, 12:22PM
    @jimb

Not quite. 

My first search, “Alexa search for Dr Who”, on my Fire TV Cube, set as an enabled device for my paired YouView, got this, dropping the YouView box out of the equation:-

So not YouView on HDMI 3 at all, but the Amazon Fire Cube on HDMI 1.

However, then saying “Alexa, search YouView for Doctor Who” got this, on the turned-on YouView box (which Alexa pronounces YouView, by the way, which needs fixing):-

After which, Alexa couldn’t get YouView out of her head, and the original search “Alexa, search for Doctor Who”, and indeed any search for anything else, became a YouView search, and at first, I could not get it to look anywhere else.

After a while, it reverted to more global searches, and “Alexa, search for Doctor Who” gave the first response above again, and would not show YouView results there.

Though once I had made another search mentioning YouView, the searches again reverted to YouView searches by default, without me saying YouView again.

I also tried calling it YouView, to which Alexa responded by calling it YouView this time; go figure.

With hindsight, using the Fire TV Cube probably clouded the issue, with its own TV capability, and I should have used an Echo Dot; but I don’t have one handy in this room.

However, apart from initially being unable to undo the default to YouView once this had happened - I didn’t know the magic words were “Alexa, exit YouView” * and said “forget” instead, which disabled YouView, and was somewhat overkill.

(And wouldn’t enable it again by voice, I had to go right back through the app, and re-pair, which was not good User Experience).

So, basically, this all works very much as I would expect.

i.e., if you don’t say YouView initially, Alexa chooses a skill based on you saying ‘Search’, and this isn’t necessarily YouView - though maybe it is for people who don’t have a potentially competing Skill available that Alexa assigns the Search to instead. That could explain the differences in what is being reported here.

But to narrow results down to YouView, I have to mention YouView initially. After which it defaults to YouView results only, until I say ‘Alexa, exit YouView’ which rewidens the scope again.

* Having gone to Amazon Chat to find this out, I would be embarrassed that it was so simple, if I hadn’t gone through five chat reps before I got one that knew this 😛
  • 1Welshman1Welshman Member Posts: 9
    i say "alexa find xxxxxxx on bt tv " and she does 
    edited 1 July 2020, 12:41PM
    1Welshman said:
    i say "alexa find xxxxxxx on bt tv " and she does 
    @1Welshman

And that form of words works for me as well, except I have to say YouView, as I don’t have the BT TV Skill that I guess you do?

@kinnoidea

I think you have the same issue as me, that Alexa passes an unqualified Search request to some other Skill that you have than YouView, so you have to say, initially, ‘Alexa search YouView for xxxxxxxx’, or the form of words above, but you have to say YouView so she locks onto that skill.

After which, subsequent searches in that session don’t need you to say YouView.
    "Sorry, provider is having trouble."
    @Visionman

Provider is the word Alexa uses when she knows there is something there, but not quite what it is.

Check that your Alexa YouView skill Is enabled both for the YouView box and for the Alexa device you are talking to.

(I said I would only get interested in Alexa for YouView again when she could actually switch the box On from Standby, and I am beginning to wish I had stuck to that 😥)
    edited 1 July 2020, 2:32PM
    "Sorry, I'm not sure."  Yeah, that would be nifty.  <3
    edited 1 July 2020, 3:02PM
    Nope. Thanks, btw. I've re-paired just in case via box and net and it still won't obey one voice command.
    "Sorry, YouView is having trouble." As am I! Damn thing.
  • 1Welshman1Welshman Member Posts: 9
    i just tried . alexa find ncis on freeview ... she found on demand (21) on now & later (195) ............only once i asked . i do remember not long after  setting  up the amazon dot she asked me to set up voice recognition by saying some lines and for me to repeat them  so that she knew my voice and what i was saying . 
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a Fire TV or an Echo device with a screen you do need to say "...on YouView" at the end to direct your query correctly (at least the first time).

To send queries back to the Fire TV (or similar) say "...on Fire TV" at the end, or also Amazon have a nifty backchannel to know when the Fire TV is in use, so if you turn it off/on or play something with it manually, voice commands will go back to it automatically.

Visionman, I believe you've encountered a problem with Amazon's backend because you were a voice triallist, sometimes they fail to forget about old skills you've removed and then are really adamant about sending your command to something that no longer exists rather than something you've just paired. If you're desperate to fix it, DM me and I can guide you through some long-winded potential fixes.
    Thanks Stephen but thats OK. I'm happy to use the remote for now but will be up for any further developments/features that are to come.