Freeview issues

sputnikstokiesputnikstokie Member Posts: 15
Hi

Just bought Humax youview dtr-1000 but not getting many channels and none in hd. Can't even get bbc today!

I've changed cables retuned multiple times but get about 32 tv channels with some poor pictures.

Any ideas!?
I use rf cable from TV  to the box and the aerial into the humax direct ,one retune got me BBC and 121 channels then they disappeared!

Frustrating.

Any help appreciated
Ss

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020, 4:00PM
    Hi sputnikstokie,
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you didn't pay much for the dtr-1000 pvr if purchased 2nd hand. It's a very old, unpowered model these days. Not well supported anymore with software updates & apps/remote feature no longer supported. 

To solve your problem, try unplugging aerial feed & retune without aerial plugged into Youview box. This clears the channel memory. Once done & it finds nil channels, replug aerial feed & retune again. Hopefully you will find more channels. Should be at least 150+ channels depending where you live.

When you mention rf cable from tv, without seeing your setup, the correct setup is aerial feed from tv aerial feed directly to Youview box 1st, then a loop through coax aerial cable feed from Youview back to tv, so the tv can receive a signal for it's built-in tuner. The Youview box needs a good aerial signal, so also might be worth checking leads are ok, good aerial setup. Does your tv receive full channel coverage via tv tuner? If it does then aerial should cope. You can also feed a separate aerial feed to tv, instead of via Youview pvr, if you have a distribution amp i.e. 2, 4 way etc. Hopefully given you some sound advice. Please let forum know how you get on. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 257 ✭✭
    One additional so point to add to @John L advice is that you will need to enable RF loop through or Antenna out in the settings for the signal to get through to the TV. It's set to off y default.
  • sputnikstokiesputnikstokie Member Posts: 15
    Hi

Thanks both. Tried the retune several times as described. Also swapped cables and now have around 90 TV channels but no hd ones! Odd.
    Signal can be patchy on some channels like BBC, Pixalated.
    I may need a filter I'm told. Will see and I'm also going to replace the aerial cable.

Thanks again
    SS
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020, 11:51PM
    @sputnikstokie

Try retuning again tomorrow, and do it twice, Arqiva shutting down COM8, and the consequent channels rearrangement, has sent most of my TVs into a tiswas, such that some of them needed retuning twice before things were sensible again, and even now, there are still placeholder channels just beyond the radio ones.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
    Thanks Roy will do. It lists channels like Pick in the guide but it is just blank. Typical ,so I can't watch the football.Others are mostly stable now. Will see what the filter does .
    Update ..retuned now down from 121 channels to 85 TV and radio.
    No hd, Pick is working ,no  Quest but have Quest+ and Quest red!
    Doesn't make sense,also BBC badly pixalates now.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    @sputnikstokie

Try retuning again tomorrow, and do it twice, Arqiva shutting down COM8, and the consequent channels rearrangement, has sent most of my TVs into a tiswas, such that some of them needed retuning twice before things were sensible again, and even now, there are still placeholder channels just beyond the radio ones.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiswas
    Interesting use @Roy :)
    John
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 1 July 2020, 2:05PM
    This one:-
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tiswas

Depends whereabouts you were brought up, I guess.

Though thanks to that beknighted TV programme, named from the above expression but subsequently backported into an anagram, you nowadays see “all of a tizzy” more, with the same meaning.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 278
    edited 2 July 2020, 6:43AM
    In the 70's  there was a Midlands Saturday morning kids show called This is Saturday (t.i.s.)
    At the end it always finished with tis was presented by.
    When it launched nationwide tis and was were joined to make tiswas. 

Ignore this if you disagree. 
    Hi

Can anybody help!?
    Down to 63 Freeview channels no BBC or any hd, Pick gone now too! Another retune came back with 38!!;!

Can't fathom it!
    SS
    Hi sputnikstokie,
    I would first check your area for engineering work. Type postcode into the webpage found on freeview website. Have you tried unplugging aerial to Youview, doing a retune with lead (to clear old channel memory) then do a retune again with lead plugged in again? This has been mentioned many times on the forum and hopefully may help solve your problem. The other factor could be signal strength, your aerial and if you use a booster or not. Please let forum know how you get on and if you need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Hi John

Ive done the retuning ,no joy. A booster is an idea,can you recommend?

SS
    edited 2 July 2020, 10:19PM
    Hi sputnikstokie,
    Have you checked signal also via the TV's own tuner? Did you receive a good signal up till now?

As for recommendations, there are many. I personally tend to get a 4 way aerial amp, but you can purchase smaller units. Argos, pc world, Amazon, eBay have many including:
     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-FOR-ALL-SV9604-4-Way-TV-Signal-Booster-Currys-/122538668250?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Hope I have helped. Please let forum know how you get on. John L
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2020, 10:21PM
    Before you consider a signal booster @sputnikstokie, you need to know your Signal Quality. Find it in Settings and post it here along with your Signal Strength reading.
    Signal Quality needs to be at, or very near, 100%. If it isn't, a signal booster would probably make it worse.
    Signal boosters are really only useful if you intend to split your aerial signal to feed two or more devices. They should only be used if you know that your signal is free from noise and interference.
    Before you consider a signal booster @sputnikstokie, you need to know your Signal Quality. Find it in Settings and post it here along with your Signal Strength reading.

I agree jonesh, hopefully sputnikstokie has checked this via the signal strength menus. Without seeing it, I was giving out info that I know from own experiences. Not sure about the aerial or if had problems before recently. John L
    Signal quality is 10%-40% on BBC one strength of 10%! 
    As of today 73 channels. No hd.
    Seems can only do this check on individual channels!
    edited 3 July 2020, 10:26AM
    Signal quality is 10%-40% on BBC one strength of 10%! 
    As of today 73 channels. No hd.
    Seems can only do this check on individual channels!
    The Signal Quality reading on domestic TV devices isn't a true measure of Signal Quality. It is a measure of how well the device is able to decode the channel that it is tuned to. It should be at, or very close to, 100%. It can be different for different channels, although the readings for channels on the same mux are usually similar.
    Your readings indicate that there is a problem with your aerial, and it needs to be sorted out before re-tune again.
    What is your aerial setup?
    edited 3 July 2020, 10:26AM
    Aerial set up? I'm not that techy was installed already when we moved in  
    Any advice appreciated.
    Got BBC back now and hd channels but lost Quest, Pick and a few others would need!!
    However t v Freeview now lost BBC channels too!

Ss
    In that case I would call a local aerial fitter if you are able to. They will know of any issues that might be peculiar to your area.
    If it is a communal aerial you will need to contact the administrator of the system.
    Sky and Virgin Media systems are intalled by professional fitters, but people tend to either neglect their Freeview aerial systems, or try to do it themselves. They then blame the TV device when it doesn't work propery.
    For the price of a month or two's subscription to Sky or Virgin Media, a local aerial fitter should be able to repair or replace your system. Ours charges sixty quid for the first hour, plus the cost of any parts that might be required. I don't know how much he charges for subsequent hours because sorting our system didn't take longer than an hour. He worked quickly and left the place clean and tidy.
    Will do,now got 38 channels in total and no BBC.
    Filter didn't work either ..

Cheers

Ss
    Sorted! Engineer job.
    Thanks 
    SS
    Please report back on how it goes. I hope that he is as helpful as ours was, and that his fee is reasonable.
    Ours made use of the aerial that I had fitted, and most of the wiring. He said that the aerial was too strong (high gain?) for our area, so he fitted an attenuator in the aerial lead.
    I had left the aerial and network leads sticking out from under the skirting board, so he tidied up my wires and terminated them with flush wall sockets. He also fitted a double flush socket close to the router for network cables. All in less than a hour.
    No more DIY cabling for me. :)
    edited 3 July 2020, 10:25PM
    Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
    Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
    It is the business of the wealthy man
    To give employment to the artisan.
    Hilaire Belloc
    You are making a false assumption. :'(
    Hi jonesh

All good, nothing I did was going to solve it. Distributer? V low signal in. New booster box in loft. Quick,easy and not too pricey. Now have 163 channels with great signal strength Happy,even hd channels now. Tv tuner is picking up over 250 channels from all over!

Thinking if upgrading the dtr-1000 now, any recommendations?

Cheers
    SS
    Hi jonesh

All good, nothing I did was going to solve it. Distributer? V low signal in. New booster box in loft. Quick,easy and not too pricey. Now have 163 channels with great signal strength Happy,even hd channels now. Tv tuner is picking up over 250 channels from all over!

Thinking of upgrading the dtr-1000 now, any recommendations?

Cheers
    SS
    @sputnikstokie

My almost uncanny ability to predict the future led me to respond to this query a couple of weeks ago 😛

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19006067/#Comment_19006067
    Hi jonesh

Thinking if upgrading the dtr-1000 now, any recommendations?

Cheers
    SS
    Hi sputnikstokie,
    Glad you were able to solve your problem with the channels. The booster as per example I originally mentioned, does do a brilliant job when needed. Thankfully it seems that the rest of your aerial setup was ok. Happy viewing!

I think everyone on forum will recommend the BT2100 or the 4000 models. Certainly faster & more supported than the older Dtr-1000.
    John L
    Pleased that you got it sorted @sputnikstokie.
    He fitted the amplifier/signal booster where it should be - next to the aerial, before the signal can be affected by interference picked up from the cabling lower down.
    Our box is a DTR-T1000. As long as it works I see no reason to upgrade it.
    edited 10:45PM
    John L said:
    The booster as per example I originally mentioned, does do a brilliant job when needed.
    Hi @John L
    Signal boosters of the type that you mentioned are usually used to compensate for losses incurred when a clean signal is split to feed two or more devices at the TV end of the signal chain. They shouldn't be used to boost a dirty signal, because they amplify the dirt as well as the signal. You have had success with them, but they aren't of the type or quality usually used by professional aerial fitters.
    The signal quality reading taken from a domestic TV device is only a guide to the actual quality of the signal. The only way to assess the true quality of the signal is to use the reading from one of those expensive meters used by TV aerial fitters.
    If the signal at the source (aerial) end is clean but not particularly strong, or it is going to be split, an aerial engineer would fit a booster or masthead amplifier next to the aerial. Siting it there amplifies the signal, but not the electrical noise and interference picked up by the cabling.
    An added advantage of having a signal amplifier/booster at the aerial end is that no boosters should be required down the chain at a later date.