Freeview issues

2»

Comments

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭
    John L said:
    yes my aerial (that I installed from loft aerial to cables through whole house) is lucky to be in a strong signal area, but gets its moments with local interference (Heathrow airport!)! I do find Youview's tuner is very sensitive to interference on Channel 107 and still trying to find a robust solution that I mentioned in a post some time back. The other equipment copes better. John L
    As I said above,
    Sky and Virgin Media systems are intalled by professional fitters, but people tend to either neglect their Freeview aerial systems, or try to do it themselves. They then blame the TV device when it doesn't work properly.
    :)
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 567 ✭✭
    jonesh said:
    John L said:
    yes my aerial (that I installed from loft aerial to cables through whole house) is lucky to be in a strong signal area, but gets its moments with local interference (Heathrow airport!)! I do find Youview's tuner is very sensitive to interference on Channel 107 and still trying to find a robust solution that I mentioned in a post some time back. The other equipment copes better. John L
    As I said above,
    Sky and Virgin Media systems are intalled by professional fitters, but people tend to either neglect their Freeview aerial systems, or try to do it themselves. They then blame the TV device when it doesn't work properly.
    :)
    Hi Jonesh,
    You mentioned this before & fully understood. Why mention it again? 

Just to add, some forum members are lucky to be able to do very good DIY jobs, inc. sorting out their own aerials. I know I would call out a engineer if it was something outside of my scope. They have the professional equipment, rather like garages with diagnostic equipment for solving faults. But, you won't find me climbing roof ladders! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    My comment was an attempt at humour @John L, as indicated by the :).
    I clearly failed in my attempt :'(.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    jonesh said:
    You did not fail universally.

If you have not already read it, I commend The Diary of a Nobody, by George and Weedon Grossmith, to you. There is a free edition on Amazon Kindle, and you don’t need a Kindle device, just a Kindle app, to be able to download it and read it,
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • sputnikstokiesputnikstokie Member Posts: 18
    Hi all
    I am new to Freeview and so was shocked last night how bad reception was across many channels.
    It was quite windy but even so is this normal?

Thanks

SS
    jonesh said:
     . . . was there a joke Jonesh? I missed that one! Where was it, still looking! John L

(Yes I do have a sense of humour when there is a joke to be found).
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Hi all
    I am new to Freeview and so was shocked last night how bad reception was across many channels.

Thanks

SS
    Hi sputnikstokie, 
    The wind is normal at the moment, we can't control that, we also can't control the Youview box! It has a mind of it's own. Soon be back to "normal reception". Might be worth talking to your aerial man for more advice. John L
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    John L said:
    Hi all

Thanks

SS
    Hi sputnikstokie, 
    The wind is normal at the moment, we can't control that, we also can't control the Youview box! It has a mind of it's own. Soon be back to "normal reception". Might be worth talking to your aerial man for more advice. John L
    Well worth it. I had to collect the chairs for our patio table from all four corners of the garden after yesterday’s winds, but our TV broadcast picture wavered not a pixel.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    Wind can affect TV reception. The main issues are movement of trees near the house that might be in the line of sight between the aerial and the transmitter, or, if if it is an outdoor aerial, movement of the aerial itself.
    A good aerial fitter should be able to minimise, or eliminate, both effects.
    We live on a hillside badly affected by wind, and there are several big trees nearby. The wind this weekend was particularly bad, but our TV picture remained stable.
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    You did not fail universally.

If you have not already read it, I commend The Diary of a Nobody, by George and Weedon Grossmith, to you. There is a free edition on Amazon Kindle, and you don’t need a Kindle device, just a Kindle app, to be able to download it and read it,
    Downloaded and started reading. Thank you for the recommendation @Roy.
    :D