TalkTalk stop Sports and Cinema boosts in favour of NowTV

Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 267 ✭✭
This has just been clarified as the position 're the Sports and Cinema boosts on TalkTalk.

• Sky Cinema and Sports boosts will no longer be sold from the 1st July
  • Anyone who already has this boost can however keep it and at the price/promotion rate and period they have agreed already 
  • If a customer who has one of these boosts, removes it from their account, they wont be able to add it back on
  • Anyone who wants to view sky cinema or sports channels from the 1st and doesn't already have the boosts will have to purchase the NOWtv pass
Their info page has been updated to reflect this.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/TV-Boosts-Guide/ta-p/2204379

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2020, 4:58PM
    Hi Steve, do you know if the passes will be available in HD and how much they cost?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Sorry no to the first and follow the links for the second. Sports is £25 a month for 3 months though.
    @Stevef_fr8ys
    Thats good as its normally £34. I'm on a £24 a month deal for 2 months until the end of the wall to wall football season coverage, then spent an extra £3 to get it in HD. Thats well worth doing for me as I have an upscaling 4K TV.
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I have the "Entertainment" package from TalkTalk and have received an email suggesting I might want to go to "Nowtv" is this the shape of things to come?  
    Does make you wonder if this is the beginning of the end for TalkTalk TV. If they do pull out of the UK TV market, it will leave YouView in BTs hands which we have been surmising for some time.
    Only time will tell.

The one thing that their info on this does not say and customer service are not telling customers, is that once they cancel their boosts their recordings cannot be played, as they don't have a valid subscription. The only remedy I can see is if TalkTalk go the BT route and put the channels in the guide, but will they get the permissions to do so?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭

The one thing that their info on this does not say and customer service are not telling customers, is that once they cancel their boosts their recordings cannot be played, as they don't have a valid subscription. 
    I don't think there's anything new there, that has always been the case with any Sky subscription has it not?

I have long thought that TalkTalk are moving to a softer TV proposition. The days of old school broadcast TV are clearly numbered. While our sets become ever advanced with 4K nigh on universal, the lack of content availability via mainstream media is stark, even HD channels are diminishing courtesy of 5G gobbling up more bandwidth. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2020, 3:14PM
    Does make you wonder if this is the beginning of the end for TalkTalk TV. If they do pull out of the UK TV market, it will leave YouView in BTs hands which we have been surmising for some time.
    Only time will tell.

The one thing that their info on this does not say and customer service are not telling customers, is that once they cancel their boosts their recordings cannot be played, as they don't have a valid subscription. The only remedy I can see is if TalkTalk go the BT route and put the channels in the guide, but will they get the permissions to do so?
    @Stevef_fr8ys

I think the last sentence of the announcement does cover recordings not playing? 

For it not to be a tautology, it has to be referring to removing the Boosts, not removing the content 😛

If you're an existing Sky Sports or Sky Cinema TV Boost customer you'll still be able to view as normal. If you have a promotional price this will continue until it comes to an end. You can then choose to continue on the Boost at the full price or take a NOW TV Pass instead. If you remove your Sky Sports or Sky Cinema Boosts you'll be unable to add them back onto your account. Your content will no longer be available to view on TalkTalk TV once removed.

And this is just two of seven TalkTalk Boosts being removed, leaving the other five still firmly in place, so this might not be the paradigm thin end of the wedge you fear it could be 😱
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    Erm, that's two, not one @Roy 🙂.
    Yes non playing of content has always occurred but customers are not aware of this and we get questions asked on the forum quite frequently as to why recordings will no longer play.

That last sentence was not there originally. I raised it and seems someone listened.

2 of 7 I think Roy. 
    edited 3 July 2020, 3:18PM
    redchiz said:
    Erm, that's two, not one @Roy 🙂.
    @redchiz

If you look at Steve’s link, you will see that TalkTalk have lumped them together, under one of six headings. But they do say Boosts, so point taken.

However, I have looked again at my post above, and I can’t see anything wrong with it?  😛
    edited 3 July 2020, 3:25PM

Yes non playing of content has always occurred but customers are not aware of this and we get questions asked on the forum quite frequently as to why recordings will no longer play.

That last sentence was not there originally. I raised it and seems someone listened.

2 of 7 I think Roy. 

People changing things on the sly when they have been caught out in an omission or an error; have they no shame? 😛
    Ah, OK. If TalkTalk forum users don't know that Sky in any shape or form has not allowed access to recordings outside of subscription since time immemorial then perhaps they do need it spelling out, again. Do you think they will bother to read on this occasion when they have obviously never done so in the past and that it will stop them from asking again?

Yes, thats true of all providers due to licencing issues. If one no longer subscribes to a service, one can no longer access the recordings from it.

Re; this change, one of the advantages of this change for TalkTalk is that the costs associated with broadcasting TV over the internet will fall from TalkTalk onto Sky, thereby reducing TalkTalks costs, even if only in some small way. Plus then theres the probability of HD finally being available.
  • terryflemingterryfleming Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to the information from the article, I had to change Nowtv to a free cinema hd app. It offers lots of shows and movies with the best quality. Try to find out about it.