Trouble finding Talking Heads on BBC iplayer .

jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 40
I watched on episode of this series (Talking Heads by Alan Bennet ) yesterday .Now I can`t see it ,or any of the others .  What Category is it ?  Why is the presentation of the programs so bad ?  Is there an alphabetical list ?  How do I bookmark this topic to find it again ?

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 267 ✭✭
    If you watched it on catchup there will be a link in My TV.
    If not and you watched it live, search for it. Select on demand, play one episode and the rest will show as a link in MyTv
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    @jonjoseph

Or if you watched it live, open the EPG, press the top left |<< button to go back a day, and find it there on the channel, and at the time, you watched it yesterday. Press OK to watch it again, or pick one of the others and watch that.

Why isn’t there a YouView book in the ‘.... for Dummies’ series?
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 40
    I had success eventually.  I did not expect the Talking Heads to come under Drama as it`s just one person talking. I kept trying different categories but as an example Entertainment could be classed as Trash .   Even worse American trash .    Running right down thescreen there is an A-Z list for each different category. So T for talking Heads ----Nothing . I also found as strange keyboard  setup . Nothing under Talking Heads. Last but not least it turned up under A for Allan Benett.    Very tiresome . Also the keyboard setup was jammed on the side of the screen with the left side letters out of screen .  Is this how the BBC save money ?
    Just for our amusement it looks like a member of the Youview Community  has chosen Talkingheads as his / her nom de plume .
    edited 4 July 2020, 11:10AM
    Could only happen Once In A Lifetime, surely?

With the prescient line:-

And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?

And it goes on:-

And you may ask yourself
    Where is that large automobile?
    And you may tell yourself
    This is not my beautiful house!
    This is not my beautiful wife!
    edited 4 July 2020, 11:09AM
    jonjoseph said:
    I had success eventually.  I did not expect the Talking Heads to come under Drama as it`s just one person talking. I kept trying different categories but as an example Entertainment could be classed as Trash .   Even worse American trash .    Running right down thescreen there is an A-Z list for each different category. So T for talking Heads ----Nothing . I also found as strange keyboard  setup . Nothing under Talking Heads. Last but not least it turned up under A for Allan Benett.    Very tiresome . Also the keyboard setup was jammed on the side of the screen with the left side letters out of screen .  Is this how the BBC save money ?
    This description does not match what I see when looking at the BBC iPlayer on my YouView box.

At a guess, you have been trying to use it on some tiny little fondle slab, in portrait mode?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭
    I searched for this another way. I pressed the blue YouView button > left pressed to get onto the search icon > typed in 'talk' and 'Alan Bennett's Talking Heads' was the first piece of content in the search results.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 310
    Roy said:
    Could only happen Once In A Lifetime, surely?

With the prescient line:-

And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?

And it goes on:-

And you may ask yourself
    Where is that large automobile?
    This is not my beautiful house!
    This is not my beautiful wife!
    You're letting your days roll by.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • LukеLukе Member Posts: 40
    jonjoseph said:
    I watched on episode of this series (Talking Heads by Alan Bennet ) yesterday .Now I can`t see it ,or any of the others .
    "Talking Heads" is the 1988 and 1998 series of the monologues and is not currently available on iPlayer.  The remakes, along with a couple of new ones, is a different series and it is the new series that you were watching.  (The two that haven't been remade for the latest series are the 2 monologues where both characters were played by Thora Hird.)
    As you have now discovered, the BBC have given the new series a different name.
    jonjoseph said:
     I also found as strange keyboard  setup . Nothing under Talking Heads. Last but not least it turned up under A for Allan Benett.    Very tiresome . Also the keyboard setup was jammed on the side of the screen with the left side letters out of screen .  Is this how the BBC save money ?
    With my own TV it is possible to use the TV's remote zoom function to enlarge letterbox film broadcasts so that the top and bottom of the picture touch the top and bottom of the screen.  If the TV's setting is left in this mode then the layout for the BBC iPlayer app's search function on the youview box looks as you describe.  What you are describing sounds similar to what would happen if you also zoomed in with your TV remote's zoom function, or used some other function of your TV to change the displayed area.

Using the BBC iPlayer app to search on the youview box entering just "talki" and the newer series does get displayed in the search results in position number 3.  But as Visionman pointed out, using the youview search is even easier.
    Another advantage of using the youview search is that if the Drama channel had also been broadcasting the old series then this also would have shown up in youview search results.

Anyway Channel 4 is showing me the earliest Seinfelds so no problem .
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭
    jonjoseph said:
    Anyway Channel 4 is showing me the earliest Seinfelds so no problem .

What?? From typing in 'talk'?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    No not on BBC iPlayer . Seinfeld is on Channel 4. I tested ITV hub today and the logging on with Youview plus laptop does seem a bit odd . That`s getting easier . 
     I can`t leave without one grumble.  Seinfeld has illegible subtitles in different colours.Yellow and green often disappear .I `ve only got one working ear with a hearing aid. That`s almost too weak to hear . 
    jonjoseph said:
    No not on BBC iPlayer . Seinfeld is on Channel 4. I tested ITV hub today and the logging on with Youview plus laptop does seem a bit odd . That`s getting easier . 
     I can`t leave without one grumble.  Seinfeld has illegible subtitles in different colours.Yellow and green often disappear .I `ve only got one working ear with a hearing aid. That`s almost too weak to hear . 
    On the YouView box, try
    Settings/Accessibility & Language/Appearance/High Contrast
    and see if that improves things.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭
    Great band, Talking Heads.

Remember seeing Talking heads at Eric's in 77.
    Meet the legendary David Byrne,  top bloke.
    Thinking about the Seinfelds episodes and then Youview difficulties maybe I should be more like Kramer and less like George .   Technology moves on so fast . Yesterday Seinfeld was comparing slamming down an old fashioned wired phone to end a bad conversation with ending a mobile chat with the buttons. But in the episode he is using a "brick" with an extendable aerial .   Remember those video tape recorders with numbers prepared to list 200 channels ? We never got past 5 before redundancy set in .  But there was some way to figure it all out without instructions . Much like any old digital watch . No acronyms then . 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Saw them in Manchester, probably the same tour, fabulous.

Apols to OP for side-tracking.  🙂
    kodikid said:

Kodikidult?
    edited 7 July 2020, 1:26AM
    😃
    I will make a point of not looking up musicians called Talking Heads .
    jonjoseph said:
    I will make a point of not looking up musicians called Talking Heads .
    You need to look them up!.
    Sacrilege 🤦‍♂️