Blank screen

SkyegirlSkyegirl Member Posts: 3
When trying to watch tv through my talktalk youview box after a while the screen goes black but I still have sound. I have tried disconnecting everything & restarting the box. The only way I can get the picture back is to turn the tv off and on again. However it doesn’t last long and I have to keep doing it. The tv is fine when watching dvds or through my firestick. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2020, 5:19PM
    @Skyegirl

Greetings and welcome to the Community!

Next time it happens, then without altering or switching anything else, pull the HDMI cable out from the TV, wait one minute, and then plug the HDMI cable back in.

(I’m presuming HDMI, but the same applies to SCART).

If that brings the picture back, try replacing the cable with a new one.

If that doesn’t fix it, try an Option 2 Maintenance Mode reset, as here:-

Make sure to follow the instructions for whichever TalkTalk box you have, as these can vary from box model to box model.

This will preserve your recordings, but will clear most everything else, so make notes of your recording schedule, any non-standard settings, and so on.

And please do let us know how you get on!

These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • SkyegirlSkyegirl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I’ll need to get assistance to move the TV to get to the HDMI
  • SkyegirlSkyegirl Member Posts: 3
    I don’t think it’s the youview box, I just tried a dvd & the same happened, then tried YouTube through my TV and the same happened 😔
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 267 ✭✭
    edited 11 July 2020, 10:24PM
    Roy's advice is good but if you can get to the boxes, try swapping the HDMI cables from the DVD and TalkTalk box round, if you can't change it.

If it's still not working, are you still in contract with TalkTalk?

If so post on their forum. They may replace it for you if it's not working.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 July 2020, 7:34AM
    Skyegirl said:
    I don’t think it’s the youview box, I just tried a dvd & the same happened, then tried YouTube through my TV and the same happened 😔
    I was going to say, to your posting above that, pull the cable off the YouView end if that’s easier; the main thing was to see if it would handshake properly when reconnected.

But now you are saying the problem happens with other sources?

So a thing to try is switch the TV off at the wall (not just at the set) or unplug its mains plug if there is no mains switch. Wait two minutes, then power the TV back on.

That might clear the problem if it is software related; but if it is hardware related, then it’s warranty repair/paid repair/new TV (depending on age and cost) time, I fear.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.