using freesat plus youview

confusedconfused Member Posts: 1
Moving to a property with a communal aerial which can have patchy reception so owner uses Freesat and has no TV connection of any sort to the internet. I currently use BT youview on an aerial and a direct link from my hub for BT sport. New property broadband enters house opposite side to where the tv is. BT say they have a dongle type fitting you fit to the hub and the tv and it will send the BT sport signal on a wifi link to my BT box by the tv. Question is will that work in conjunction with the Freesat box or do I have to have the tv hooked up to the aerial with the dodgy signal and forgo the freesat alternative?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 August 2020, 10:44AM
    @confused

The Freesat box needs to be connected to the mains, one or more satellite feeds, and to the TV, probably via an HDMI cable. If it is smart, it also needs to be connected to the router, by WiFi, Ethernet cable, over the mains with Powerline Adaptors, or via more dongles of the type you describe.

None of this has any bearing whatsoever on any YouView box, unless the two boxes will be competing for physical ports on the router, or HDMI inputs on the TV. But hopefully you have enough of both.

The YouView box needs to be connected to the mains, a terrestrial aerial feed, and to the TV, probably via an HDMI cable. As it is smart, it also needs to be connected to the router, by Ethernet cable, over the mains with Powerline Adaptors, or via dongles of the type you describe.

None of this has any bearing whatsoever on any Freesat box, unless the two boxes will be competing for physical ports on the router, or HDMI inputs on the TV. But hopefully you have enough of both.

If the terrestrial aerial connection is dodgy, your YouView reception will be dodgy. But this should not affect BT Sport delivered over the Internet.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Unless you have a SmartHub 2 the HomeHub won't send BT Sport (multicast) over any form of wifi connection. Hopefully the BT advisor was really meaning Powerline Adapters as @Roy referred to.