Is there a way to test the hdd

davidwdavidw Member Posts: 35
I have a DTRT4000 youview box and nearly all my recordings  do not  record to the end  , on the screen were you can see the little red circle most of mine are nearly  half red and half black if that makes sense . Sometimes the symbol says this but i am still able to watch my recording till the end , i am also starting to get blocks on the screen as if it is bad signal and sometimes it freezes for a second then jumps a few seconds . I have the latest software and my signal strength ect is fine  , i am hoping that somewhere buried in the settings there might be something i can use to test the hdd . I have reset the software a few times and put the box back to factory settings Any ideas ?

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 602 ✭✭
    Hi Davidw,
    How much space is remaining on your hard drive? Part of problem may be related to swap file buffer running out of disk space. The only way to actually test drive is to remove from Youview box and connect to pc using third party software. How long have you had the pvr? Might even be corrupted hard drive, which will mean either a full reformat or further work. Please let forum know how you get on.  John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 325
    Are you using powerline adapters by any chance?
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 35
    Hi John
     I have 92% free it has always been around that mark ,the box was second had when i brought it and i have had it for about two years now .
     Kodikid strange you should say that yes i am , TP-LINK AV600
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 602 ✭✭
    Hi Davidw,
    Do you know the history of the hard drive before you purchased it? They don't last that long before whole drive either needs full reformat or total failure. The old Humax 8000 plus the more recent 9200/9300 models had to be reformated when the harddrive started playing up. Although, they are more reliable now, can still have problems. If it still doesn't record correctly, I would try and watch recordings and then do a reformat. If you have a spare pvr, might be good idea to only record on this while you clear recordings down. That's what I do from time to time. The powerline adaptors only affect the broadband, nothing to do with actual harddrive recording problem. Hope I have helped. Let us know how you get on. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    I reason I asked is I had 2 T4000'S,  one downstairs other in the bedroom. Living room box worked to perfection,  bedroom box suffered the "block " effect.  Swap them around and same problem so assumption was the pla's.  Replaced the T4000 with a T2000 upstairs and that works perfectly. 
    To me the T4000 is not that good on pla's. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2020, 2:32PM
    @davidw

You can’t test the hard drive non-destructively on a PC/laptop running Windows, as it won’t recognise the format. But if you boot from a portable Linux distro on a CD-ROM, you can look at it with Linux tools.

Or, as you are not long away from a Factory Reset, test it on Windows after reinitialising it, if you are more familiar with Windows diagnostic tools. When you put it back in the YouView box, that will then reinitialise it to its own satisfaction.

As you say have already done a Factory Reset, which will have wiped all your recordings, you will have bust the hard disc back to its just-initialised state.

Though did you quickly add back that 8% of recordings afterwards (since the % free ignores any disc overhead from the YouView software), or should we wonder if you did a lesser reset?

Following up @kodikid’s question, there is no harm, and some potential good, in doing a flight of resets; router first, then the PLA nearest to it, then the one at the YouView end, allowing each to settle before moving on to the next.

And don’t do any arc welding, or operate other heavy electrical equipment, while making recordings 😛
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    And don’t do any arc welding, or operate other heavy electrical equipment, while making recordings 😛
    I will try not to the mrs says it makes a mess of the carpets :D i will keep you updated
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Are these just Freeview recordings , as seems likely as it's a second hand box?

If so ignore everything about PLA's but check your signal strength & quality on any affected channels. Signal strength in excess of 95% can cause issues as all the BT Youview units have , shall we say, sensitive tuners which can either be overpowered by too high a signal strength or not cope with lower figures for strength & quality.
    Having said that a suspect HDD does seem the more obvious problem and I've used Ubuntu as a standalone linux boot system on my PC and that enables you to correctly see the HDD as @Roy has pointed out. I think also that there are drivers around for a Windows PC that will enable you to recognise the HDD.

Yes they are just freeview recordings ,at the mo i am on forces tv 096 and both my signal strength and quality are 100%
    davidw said:
    Yes they are just freeview recordings ,at the mo i am on forces tv 096 and both my signal strength and quality are 100%

Well in that case I'd firstly suggest getting a variable attenuator (0-20dB range) for less than a tenner and fit that between the box's aerial input and the aerial feed and adjusting it until the signal strength drops to maybe 90-95%. You may have to drop a bit further than that but that's a starting point.
    It's surprising just how many of issues similar to yours can be fixed by reducing the signal strength.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August 2020, 10:35PM
    It's a common and understandable misconception that the optimum value for Signal Strength is 100%.
    Signal Quality should be at, or very near, 100%, but that isn't necessarily the case for Signal Strength.
    The scale ends at 100(%), but the actual Signal Strength could be higher, which can cause problems.
    If your Signal Strength reading is 100%, the only way to be sure that it isn't too high for the tuners is to use an attenuator to reduce it until it reads less, or much less, than 100%, as suggested by @Tim C
    Re signal strength-
    If you measure anything by percentage then surely 100% is the absolute maximum, otherwise it becomes meaningless. 
    When Youview rewrote the software from the original to what we have now the signal strength calculation was clearly revised.
    Recently I updated a spare T4000 from the original software where the signal strength was showing as 66% , a little lower than the then optimal value of approx 80%. After updating to the current software that figure jumped to 95%.
    So if under the old software your strength reading was say 90% the revised calculation would probably work out to be nearer 120%.
    If the tuners on the BT Humax units were capable of handling a strong signal like all TVs , even those with twin tuners like my Panasonic , then no problem.
    However, all they did was confuse the situation.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2020, 8:34AM
    Signal strength can drop as low as 70%, so long as the quality remains at 100.
    Tim C 's suggestion is excellent.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 9 August 2020, 10:50AM
    kodikid said:
    Re signal strength-
    If you measure anything by percentage then surely 100% is the absolute maximum, otherwise it becomes meaningless. 
    @kodikid

it depends on what you are measuring. If it is the disc capacity of your YouView box, then yes, 100% is the maximum.

But my cornflakes packet says one portion of flakes gives me 30% of my recommended daily intake of niacin; so if I have four portions, it is perfectly reasonable to say I have had 120% of my RDI (and 400% of the amount of cornflakes I should be eating 😛).

What the problem here is, though, that the YouView box never flags over 100% of Signal Strength, something that can perfectly well go over 100%; e.g. if I take a 100% signal and boost it, it must go over 100%. But the box never indicates this.

Something that wouldn’t matter if 100% was ‘enough’, and the box could always deal with ‘too much’ by attenuating it to ‘enough’. But as we have seen, it can’t.

Signal Quality though, like hard disc capacity, is a measure that can’t go over 100%; you can’t improve on error-free (or at least 100% error-correctable).

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭
    We need tuners that go up to eleven :D.
    An attenuator should help to solve the problem of interference from remote transmitters caused by the current weather conditions.
    jonesh said:
    We need tuners that go up to eleven :D.
    An attenuator should help to solve the problem of interference from remote transmitters caused by the current weather conditions.
    I see Nigel Tufnell is alive and well.....😛
    edited 18 August 2020, 1:00PM
    Ok gang i have the variable attenuator time to play , now if i can just get forces tv to stop cutting the ends off the programs i will be a happy bunny :smiley:
    Excellent result by the sound of it, so what have you lowered your signal strength and quality to?