Now TV App Sound Issues - Sky Sports

CeejayCeejay Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
Whilst I am delighted that my DTR-T2100 has the fully functional Now TV app with excellent picture quality whilst using Now TV Boost, I have to complain about the sound glitches that have marred my viewing of the F1 this weekend.

I have the latest software 32.47.0 / 3.6.234 and even did a maintenance mode reset to try and resolve the problem this morning, but it remained. With 5.1 sound set in the app the digital sound output stream from the Youview box over HDMI was stopping every few minutes for a period of maybe 5-6 seconds a go.

With the sound set in the app to just Stereo the sound still broke up, but less frequently and maybe for 1-3 seconds a go.

In either case it was unacceptable to have these issues after paying out for a Sky Sports pass. I had to revert to Chromecasting from my phone to my TV (which is connected to the same powerline adapter as the Youview box) which had no sound issues at all - although I would really prefer to use the Youview box as the picture is IMHO much better.

I do not believe this is an internet issue - the TV picture is completely unaffected with no artefacts, and as I say the sound via the Chromecasting route is also unaffected. I believe it has to be the Now TV app sound interface with the Youview box, maybe associated with Now TV boost pushing its processing capacity?

Although I did experience a few glitches a few weeks ago when I watched the Hungarian GP it was nothing as bad as today. Also the Sky Sports Main Event stream seemed plagued by it much more severely than the Sky Sports F1 stream.

Is this known about and is it being rectified?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2020, 8:44PM
    I think you may have an individual problem.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    There are a number of reports of this on the NowTV community, across multiple devices, not just NowTV on YouView. They all have in common that it is worse on 5.1 than on stereo.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    Hi @Ceejay

This is an issue we are aware of and investigating at the moment. I'll try and update here once we have anything to share on the investigation.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • CeejayCeejay Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    As Roy and Sarah have confirmed, it is not.
    edited 10 August 2020, 9:50AM
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Ceejay

This is an issue we are aware of and investigating at the moment. I'll try and update here once we have anything to share on the investigation.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks for the update @Sarah. Hope some progress is made soon as it is severely impacting the usefulness of the Now TV app on Youview. Should have said I do not have such sound problems using any other function or app on the box. Just Now TV.
  • adnydrumadnydrum Member Posts: 9
    edited 14 August 2020, 2:30PM
    Ceejay said:
    "I do not believe this is an internet issue"

Absolutely right. I get audio dropouts, total stream freezing, and multiple "there seems to be a problem" messages. I have a different device connected to the same Powerline adapter as the YouView box and it works flawlessly so I know it is not a broadband issue.  I get far more stable Sky Sports streaming on a Roku2 box, the NowTv player on a laptop, or on a smartphone than on the YouView platform. NowTv are adamant that "there is nothing wrong with the YouView app" - they would say that, wouldn't they? But I want to watch on my main television via the YouView platform so something simply is not good enough with the YV implementation. NowTv told me to re-install the app. When I politely explained that the software, apps and players on my set-top box a) are all the latest versions and b) cannot be re-installed individually, they just said I should re-boot. Frankly, having to re-boot several times an hour when I can watch hours of iPlayer, Netflix, all4 etc without incident is appalling, when you consider the NowTv Sports Pass is <£25 per month.

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 385 ✭✭
    edited 14 August 2020, 8:36PM
    @Ceejay I posted about this minor sound issue with the Now TV app on live channels nearly a month ago and as @Sarah says it's still being Investigated.
    edited 15 August 2020, 3:12PM
    Watching various Sky Sports channels yesterday and today the sound problem seems to have disappeared even on 5.1 sound. Not sure if the app has updated but fingers crossed this is fixed. I guess we’ll see when the stream gets heavily loaded during the actual F1 race tomorrow 🤞
    Sound glitches back today - so my fear that it is to do with the load seems likely 😡
  • iainmdiainmd Member Posts: 1
    Exactly the same issue here. I get sound outages of 3-6 second every few minutes on both YouView Humax DTR2120 & DBT2220. I have no issue with a NowTV stick or the Now TV Smart Boxes so my internet/WiFi is fine and the issue is purely seen on the YouView boxes. It seems this issue has been around since August, any sign at all of a fix?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 383
    If they go ahead with the planned £15 prem pay per view this issue will become irrelevant as no one will be able to afford to watch it.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    I do not have any issues with sound but I do have issues with the on-demand content like if I play tv programme it's breaks up with the picture also if I play a movie it's breaks up the picture  so I went into to my account and went into to the NOW TV booster and changed it from stereo to  Sony surround it around now where I play the TV catch-up programme I do not get any problem at all but if I still play a movie it still breaks up when it's in Sony surround still but the catch up programmes is ok and not breaking up but the movies are breaking up Steel Ihad lots of problems with where's my Youview box so BT sent me a brand new one and I've had it for 5 days now and I still get the same problem with a NOW TV app but my DT 2100 got no problems the bedroom it's just my dt4000 what's going on with a NOW TV app
    Ken Hill1 said:
    I do not have any issues with sound but I do have issues with the on-demand content like if I play tv programme it's breaks up with the picture also if I play a movie it's breaks up the picture  so I went into to my account and went into to the NOW TV booster and changed it from stereo to  Sony surround it around now where I play the TV catch-up programme I do not get any problem at all but if I still play a movie it still breaks up when it's in Sony surround still but the catch up programmes is ok and not breaking up but the movies are breaking up Steel Ihad lots of problems with where's my Youview box so BT sent me a brand new one and I've had it for 5 days now and I still get the same problem with a NOW TV app but my DT 2100 got no problems the bedroom it's just my dt4000 what's going on with a NOW TV appGot the same problem and it's a week we've on demand but if I go into my account and internet NOW TV booster and put it into Sony surround I don't get any wake up on the TV entertainment but I still do on the movies put it back in the stereo and the entertainment programs break up again
    Has issue with NOW TV app been sorted or not on YouView boxes
    Last heard and that was a few weeks ago. The issue with the Now TV app on Youview boxes was still being looking in to.
    BT over on there forums are trying to say the problem only affects the T4000 4K boxes and that's not the case.
    Darren said:
    Last heard and that was a few weeks ago. The issue with the Now TV app on Youview boxes was still being looking in to.
    BT over on there forums are trying to say the problem only affects the T4000 4K boxes and that's not the case.
    That the boxs I got too dt4000 boxs.
    It’s affecting all Youview boxes not just the T4000 but trying to tell BT that is  a now go.
    Darren said:
    It’s affecting all Youview boxes not just the T4000 but trying to tell BT that is  a now go.
    Mate but my boxs in the bedroom is working ok got no problem and no issue with the t21000 can't understand that if it's affecting all boxes with me just affecting my 4K box the t4000?
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 94 admin
    edited 12:57PM
    Hi all,

We are currently rolling out a fix for audio drop outs and buffering seen on live streams within the Now TV app to BT devices. 

The release notes can be found here for T2100 and T4000 devices and here for T2200 devices.

Thank you,
    Louise