youview picture quality

Hi, please excuse my ignorance on this matter, i am very green on the topic of AV but I recently moved house and signed up to talktalk for their broadband and tv package including sky movies, when I watch sky movies on my Samsung qled 4k tv the picture is terrible (not just bad), is this purely due to the fact it is an sd signal on an hd tv?  thanks! 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 602 ✭✭
    Hi grumbleweed,
    Welcome to forum. Can you attach screenshot of picture you are receiving. Everyone's got a different view on picture quality. SD generally will be inferior picture, softer, lower sharpness. I try to watch most TV content in HD, sometimes depending on channel it's nearly as good upscaled in SD, sometimes HD content is terrible! I'm guessing your TV resolution is very good, but highlights the weaknesses of SD content. Have you compared You view picture to tv's own tuner. Blu-ray will be excellent resolution in HD and 4K. Be interested to hear your findings. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • grumbleweedgrumbleweed Member Posts: 6
    Thanks John. very hard to capture the quality in a photo but tried with the attached. very pixalated. worse than watching on the tv's tuner. 
    Hi grumbleweed,
    Thank you for the photos. If the Tv's own tuner is better, I would say check the Youview box's own settings under picture & sound. Make sure the resolution setting is on 1080p or i. The setting P (progressive) is better depending on your setup + also interference with other equipment as the hdmi cable generates a signal. If still a problem I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. Good luck. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Hi grumbleweed,
    just to add, you mention Sky movies, do you mean the broadband content being viewed, not just the tv channel picture? Maybe also worth checking screen resolution being feed to your box on the Sky App? I don't use Sky, but use a lot of Youtube content, often having to change settings to higher resolution on another device. John L
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭
    Hi, please excuse my ignorance on this matter, i am very green on the topic of AV but I recently moved house and signed up to talktalk for their broadband and tv package including sky movies, when I watch sky movies on my Samsung qled 4k tv the picture is terrible (not just bad), is this purely due to the fact it is an sd signal on an hd tv?  thanks! 
    Hi @grumbleweed

Is this the Cinema Pass in NowTV on your TalkTalk box, or what exactly?

What internet speed are you getting?

As those pictures look like you are being throttled for bandwidth.

To answer your question about SD on a UHD (not just HD!) TV for yourself, try looking at BBC1; you can see it isn’t as good as 101 HD, but the Sky Movies picture should be no worse than BBC1 for picture quality; in fact better, as it should be at least HD Ready (760p) quality.

NowTV offer a Boost Pass that gets their picture up to HD (1080p); but with the low bandwidth you appear to have, that won’t make any improvement, I fear, and perhaps even make it worse.

What do TalkTalk, who you are paying for this rather disappointing performance, have to say for themselves?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 291 ✭✭
    @Roy, TalkTalk have nothing to do with NowTV. Yes they are offering discount codes, but they advise people to sign up via the website and you then become a Now customer. They also say the App is Nows so can't help.

If you are getting the channels via their Boost (still possible until you migrate (if indeed you want to)), i.e timing in via an epg channel, then yes, this is TalkTalks responsibility.
    yes, sky movies is a boost offered by talk talk.
    Again, what internet speed are you getting?

How do other internet channels, boosts if you have them, or Players if not, compare?

But you do really need to be talking to TalkTalk about this :-

https://support.youview.com/useful-contacts/

Roy said:

How do other internet channels, boosts if you have them, or Players if not, compare?

quite possibly! that's what I'm trying to find out.
    Roy said:

quite possibly! that's what I'm trying to find out.
    That speed is respectable. We had 25Mbps until yesterday, and we could watch HD stuff perfectly fine. But there are just the two of us here, and watching the same thing together.

You haven’t got a houseful of teenagers gaming away, and contending for some (most) of that bandwidth, have you?

If not, then my working explanation at the moment is that TalkTalk are failing to deliver a good enough stream, though they may have other ideas 😛
    Thanks Roy. 3 little kids but often on devices so could be the issue, I'll take it up with Talk talk!

Thanks all!