Adding You view to Sony TV

auratoddauratodd Member Posts: 7
Hi I have a Sony Bravia Tv, how do I use the You view service on it to watch programmes please?  Please be simple as I am not technically minded.  Thanks.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭
    @auratodd

Just switch it on, and if it doesn’t come up in ‘TV’, choose that off the menus you see.

The set should default to YouView when you do that.

But the 2020 sets seem to be rather different to those that went before; so can you please give your model number so we can check this?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • auratoddauratodd Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply.  I think it's a 

Sony KD43XF87XX

How do I make sure it's switched on?  And then how do I use it?  Thanks.
    auratodd said:
    Thanks for your reply.  I think it's a 

Sony KD43XF87XX

How do I make sure it's switched on?  And then how do I use it?  Thanks.
    I can find KD-43XF8796 on the web. That’s a 2018 model.

In general, connect an aerial, plug one of these things in the mains, and they will at least go into Standby, after which the Power button on your remote should turn it on.

Then you need to set up the networking so it uses your WiFi.

The set will walk you through it when you turn it on - just follow its instructions.

If you need anything else, there is information here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xf8796/manuals

You should have the Reference Guide and the Startup Guide provided in paper form with the set, but the Web manual is very useful.

There is also a lot of stuff you will find in the online Help on the TV.

Anything else you need to know that these documents don’t cover, please just ask.
    The aerial is already plugged in, how do I watched missed programmes using YouView please?  What do I need to press on the remote to access it please?
    edited 28 August 2020, 5:33PM
    @auratodd

There are three ways (that I am going to list, there may be others) to watch missed programmes, much the same on the YouView-equipped Sony TV as on the YouView boxes:-

(i) If a programme has been shown in the last week, then you go into the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide), and step back |<< to the day it was on, move < > to the time it was on and ^ to the channel it was on.
                  v
    Then (as long as the programme has a little whirly thing on it to show it is available on catchup) just OK it, and YouView will load the relevant catchup player, set to the programme you chose, and play it for you.

(ii) Or if you don’t know the exact channel and date/time, you may be able to use Search with the programme title, and get to it that way. This way, you are not restricted to just the last week, but you may have to pick out the exact episode you want, of programmes that are in series.
    (iii) The final way is to start the Player App for the channel the programme you want was shown on, and then negotiate to the programme (there are multiple ways to do this on each catchup app, and each such app has its own methods for presentation and navigation, which you will need to master by experiment) and play it. Again, you can go back as far as the broadcaster keeps past programmes for.
    Thanks I will try this, only thing is the programm was on last night.
    Just step back one day in the EPG then.

Simples!